Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Would you make an appointment with the doctor or is it a "normal" 3 year old thing?

Posted by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM
  • 31 Replies

My 3 year old has been potty trained for about 6 months now, he'll pee sitting down or standing up, he's a champ at peeing haha. But, when he poops..he'll hold it, not for an hour or two, but literally for a day or two, and when he does poop, he'll ask for a pull-up or he'll just poop his undies. My ex took him to the doctor and she said it's his diet (then again, he claims I give them fast food breakfast, lunch and dinner which is waaaaay far beyond the truth) and she said he was constipated. So about 2 months later, he's doing it still, but this time it's the point where he's making his own stomach hurt from holding it in. I'm going to make an appointment, 99% sure about it, but has anyone else had this problem with their little ones?

by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM
It is normal for kids that don't want to poop on the potty and can lead to him stretching his colon out to where he can't feel when he needs to go. I have a poop training technique that we used for our ds, if you would like it, you can pm me.
Sweet0.0Cheeks
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM

My son was also a champ at peeing. But he hated to poop. He got to wear he didn't want to pee either because sitting down it made him want to poop. I guess it scared him. It took a while, lots of accidents before he started pooping. However, he wouldn't hold it. he wouldjust poop where ever lol. 

CjEmmemommy
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM
My friends son did that. That started giving him stool softeners so he would have no choice but to go and he soon realized it didn't hurt when he didn't hold it in.
Took a while buy she didn't have much choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redress
by Bronze Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

benefiber. give him benefiber. will loosen stools without dehydrating him. and then start him on a spoonful of probiotics thrice a day. it will keep him regular. 

he is holding out of fear of pain...or he is holding so he can stand and go, instead of sit.

hth

eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM
I have no clue my kids were pooping champs in fact so much so I threatened to feed them a steady diet of cheese to stop em up lol just kidding, but seriously, each kid would poo three times a day so that is six stinky hineys to.wipe plus my own rolol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StoneColdKiller
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM
It's not abnormal from what everyone told me but the doctor can help you by giving you a stool sofener to make pooping easier for him and then treat it like potty training again. I've heard this problem being fixed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkHairMAMA
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Yours sound like mine!! LOL!!

Quoting eesmommy:

I have no clue my kids were pooping champs in fact so much so I threatened to feed them a steady diet of cheese to stop em up lol just kidding, but seriously, each kid would poo three times a day so that is six stinky hineys to.wipe plus my own rolol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PurpleGlitter84
by on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:45 PM
Make him your his parent he's 3 he knows. I don't think its doc worthy or diet. I didn't train my boys out of fear either but another option wasn't given. Poop was always the last to get but it was quick easy and painless
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM
Are you giving him miralax?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Jun. 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

sounds like either it hurts to poop or a power struggle, honestly what is his diet like?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)