Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cheap couple ingredient meals please ?

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
  • 42 Replies
Dh just started his new job , until he gets paid we are broke . I have hamburger , chicken , milk , cheese , bread , chicken and beef broth , Corn , maybe potatoes ? that's about it besides faster things .(small pizza which makes me sick right now , preg baby hates it lol ) Any ideas on something I can make for dinner with little ingredients ??.. Thank you ll for all of the ideas , I made shepards pie for tonight :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Caitlinmari
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Do you have a slow cooker?? Chicken breasts in slow cooker with about 1.5 cups of water and sprinkle dry ranch packet on the chicken tastes good!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lachrymose
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:57 PM

OMG.  I was about to post something similar (except with a little butter, I think.. can't remember exactly).  lol.  We serve it with rice.  :)

Quoting Caitlinmari:

Do you have a slow cooker?? Chicken breasts in slow cooker with about 1.5 cups of water and sprinkle dry ranch packet on the chicken tastes good!

MamaJ8329
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Maybe you could use the hamburger, corn and potatoes and make a shepard's pie? I know everyone makes it different but my mom used to use cream style corn and instant potatoes when we needed something cheap. Also maybe use the chicken to make like a casserole? I don't know if you have any of the other items in your pantry but I make a dish that is just cream of mushroom soup, rice and chicken.

saraface5383
by Gold Member on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM
You can brown the hamburger throw in some broth and corn then potatos,I'd start the potatos earlier obviously since they take longer and add cheese, kind of like a one dish meal.
Bake the chicken and make sandwiches.
If you have eggs you can make French toast. Grilled cheese even?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kris_81
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:58 PM
If you have a slow or pressure cooker they can really stretch a meal.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Is it a whole chicken?

Do you have even a few dollars you can use to buy a couple inexpensive things to add to what you have?

jojomommy
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM

pasta with meatballs

chicken,corn, cheese and salsa < mexican chicken 

potatos cubed,onions < hash

baked chicken tenders 

Caitlinmari
by on Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:59 PM
The ranch chicken is soo good.. and when you buy the dry ranch packet they have a box so you can have a packet for the next time you make it and wont have to go out and by anymore.

Quoting Lachrymose:

OMG.  I was about to post something similar (except with a little butter, I think.. can't remember exactly).  lol.  We serve it with rice.  :)

Quoting Caitlinmari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Thank you both ! I think I will do that tomorrow for lunch , I have a pack of ranch and a pack of Italian .I would do it tonight but I do not want to stay up for too much longer . Tonight is a late dinner lol

Quoting Caitlinmari:

The ranch chicken is soo good.. and when you buy the dry ranch packet they have a box so you can have a packet for the next time you make it and wont have to go out and by anymore.

Quoting Lachrymose:

Quoting Caitlinmari:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lachrymose
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM

:)  Sometimes we use an Italian dressing packet..

I remember now.. if you want something different (and have more cash), what we use is either Ranch or Italian dressing packets and then either cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup, butter, garlic, and chicken broth.. and mix in cream cheese an hour before serving. 

But, yea, we use a lot of the Ranch packets!

Quoting Caitlinmari:

Quoting Lachrymose:

Quoting Caitlinmari:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)