Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Squatters update 7/17

Posted by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM
  • 246 Replies

Two weeks ago I'm sitting on my front porch when two people walk by my house and get my attention. Female late twenties to early thirties and a boy about 18ish. "Excuse me, do you know if this house is for sale or rent?" they asked inquiring about the house next door to me. Then the woman told me that the boy used to live there, he then went on about how the house on the corner wasn't even there before and how he used to be afraid of my house. She went on to tell me that the boy and his friends were looking for a place to rent, and he wanted to check out the home he used to live in. I told them everything I know about the house, I just moved in myself about a year and a half ago. The man that lived there died. It's still not on the market and to my knowledge has not gone through foreclosure yet. She said that since they knew no one lived there now, they would go up and peer through the windows and check out the back of the house. I said "Go ahead, I won't call the cops" and chuckled.

The next week, while eating dinner I saw a boy, again about 18, but not the same guy, in my lawn. I saw him walk between my house and, as I've always called it, my dead neighbor's house. I told my husband and I went to the front to sort of head him off at the pass. He never came out the other side and my husband informed me that he saw the guy go in to our dead neighbor's house through the sliding glass door. I convinced DH to go knock on the door and ask them what was up. A guy answers the door, yup about 18 years old but not the guy I saw in the back or the guy I met the week before. He tells my husband that HE used to live there and his sister was helping him buy the property. He said they were there checking water lines. At this point I told my husband it was a scam, I heard that same story from someone else the week before and this house is not for sale. I've never seen a realtor or a lock box on this house ever. I emailed the property manager who contacted the bank and the police. These guys have now changed the locks on this house and have been coming in and out periodically. No one can do anything right now because the bank is in recovery process, which means no one from the bank can legally enter the house for 45-60 days. The police can't do anything either because there is no one to prosecute the trespassing since the legal owner of the house is dead. What reason could they have for squatting other than to make it a drug house? Next time the guy comes, I'm thinking of saying something like "hey, as a concerned neighbor I'm just wondering what's going on here? You said you were purchasing the house, but I notice you have keys now"

How can I just stand by and do nothing? I will keep this updated, I imagine it might get interesting, What would you do if this were happening next door to you?

The plan:

I have a petition I'm getting signatures for to get a speed bump put in on my street. I've decided to pretend I buy this kids story and I'm going to talk to him just as I would any other neighbor that would move in. If he had bought the house he would be a part owner of our street and therefor I would need his permission to put a speed bump in. Next time I see him I will say something like "Hey I saw that you have keys to the property now" (he saw that I was watching him enter yesterday and said hi to me) "I'm really excited that someone bought this house finally, so....I wanted to talk to you about a speed bump. As you know from your property assessment your property line extends in to our street and I need your permission along with everyone else on this part of the street to have a speed bump put in. People use our street as a cut through all the time and drive way to fast. So the HOA needs to have the signature of all the street owners and now that you are one of us, you are the last signature I need."

My husband likes the idea. He will either have to come up with an excuse as to why he can't sign, or he will sign a fake name knowing that it will not match up when the HOA reviews it. Maybe he'll think the jig is up and leave.

I'll update after I do it

UPDATE

It's worse than I feared lol. These kids might be telling the truth and the bank is just way behind on their paperwork! A guy from the city pulled in to my driveway and was looking at the house next door. He came to get a reading because the house had been sold! It isn't bank owned! So either they are scamming the water company or the bank is full of crap! Now I have to go over there and apologise for staring him down yesterday. lol

UPDATE 2

I talked to our property manager again and told her about the city coming out. She said she doesn't believe it. She said that there has been no permission request to join the association. She thinks they are having utilities set up even though they don't own the property. I didn't know they could do that. I don't know what to think at this point. So I'm back on to my petition plan

Update 6/26

So today a man came out from the city and no one was there to meet him. I took the opportunity to go to talk to him and this is what he said. The boys that are buying the home are using some online fly by night realtor company called "WHYRENT" The realtor came yesterday, but honestly I thought she was one of their friends. She was like 19 and wearing shorts and a tank top. Apparently the home will not be approved for a loan because of the conditions, so she gave them keys to the house to do repairs on it so the house will qualify for the loan. Now I know banks do this with foreclosures. We had the same issue. Our garage had a wall and work station built in to it and the bank said it was not technically a 2 car garage because only one car could park in it. The bank gave my husband and I permission to enter the home and tear the wall down, which we did with a couple of sledge hammers. There was also some surface mold in the house in the basement that we had to bleach and paint before we could get a loan for the house. That being said, the realtor always came with us, never just gave us the keys. We didn't hold the keys to this place in our hands until we signed the paperwork to buy it. The good news is, so far.....no meth. LOL

7/2

This keeps getting weirder. Now there is a wreath on the door (a pink one) and patio furniture out back. They have a sign on the window that says "Danger, Dog on Premises"

WTF? The car that came last night is not the same car that's been here over and over. This is getting weird. There has been no survey, still no request to the HOA so I know this house has not had a closing. WTF is going on? 

7/17

I have finally been able to talk to the girl (sister) that lives there. She said the house is not yet for sale (so I was right on that one) she said they are renting from the bank! I emailed our property manager about this. The bank can't just rent out the property, the place is in shambles and there are laws they have to conform to as landlords. The good news is the girl said they have no intention of buying and wouldn't qualify for a loan any way. She said she didn't know how long they would live there. The good news is they are temporary!

Photobucket   Photobucket

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyFlood
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:11 PM
3 moms liked this
That would give me the creeps. I'd make sure my alarm was always on and I know where the gun was lol
But I'm a bit of a paranoid person ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ijstwnt2Palone
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
If they are not the legal owners isn't it considered trespassing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Creepy. I'd lay low and ask the cops to do an extra patrol if they can. Good luck with this.
Ijstwnt2Palone
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Get the tresspassing signs that say you have a gun and will use it... even if u don't have one
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

It's a loop hole. They can't enforce trespassing for 45-60 days

Quoting Ijstwnt2Palone:

If they are not the legal owners isn't it considered trespassing?

Photobucket   Photobucket

Be kind to me or treat me mean, I'll make the most of it I'm an extraordinary machine.

jessimicuh
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KitschyGirl
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM
3 moms liked this

So here's part of my brilliant plan. LOL I'm writing up a petition for a speed bump on our street. Our street is a private street that we actually co own with our neighbors so in order to get a speed bump I need the signature of all the street owners. I could play dumb and try and get him to sign the petition

ciao_bella
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:15 PM
I'd just call the cops when they are tresspassing....

Foreclosures take FOREVER so this could be going on for a LONG time.

The people who lived next to us got foreclosed on in decemeber 2008! ( they up and left everything) .... The house was just put onto the foreclosure list last month!! That's insane to me....

I had to call and beg my town to get someone to cut the grass it was disgusting and mortifying to live next door to!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IreneCarroll
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Wow

nautired
by on Jun. 19, 2012 at 10:16 PM
9 moms liked this
I would stay out of it you did all you can by calling the police. You don't want them upset with you if drugs are involved they usually aren't the kindest people. If you see drug activity then call the police or any illegal activity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)