Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Prepackaged food, Boxed dinners, junk food, etc...

Posted by   + Show Post

Who buys those things to feed their family with?  Frozen dinners, boxed dinners you make adding water and the packets in the box...canned meals, ready to eat junk...who buys it?  

by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:02 AM
Replies (241-250):
Moogie1005
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:24 PM
I only buy it occasionally. Most of it is too salty for my taste.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:26 PM

If you get paid every two weeks, you set money aside to go to the store once a week. It's not that difficult. If you can't afford to go once a week, at least get frozen fruits and veggies. There is nothing wrong with frozen fruits and veggies.

All I hear are excuses, but to each their own.

Quoting CDMelty:

When you don't have the gas to get to the store often, and you get your money once every 2 weeks, you buy stuff that will last the whole 2 weeks. Fresh produce doesn't last the whole 2 weeks. Kraft Mac & Cheese does.

When your rental has one fridge with an overhead freezer, you can't fill it up with casserole dishes to make during the week.  When you work 2 jobs you don't always have a day off to sit around and do that anyway.

Nobody has to eat crap. Nobody has to eat meat. But for some, it's a matter of convenience and affordability.  And sometimes those words mean more than cutting into leisure time and spending money.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

I agree with emmy. I'm gone 11-12 hours a day and still cook a healthy meal. My 17 year old knows how to cook because I am very adamant about children being in the kitchen as much as possible. He was cooking whole meals by the time he was 10. Dude can throw down. lol Time doesn't have to be a reason to eat crap food. On my days off, the kids and I (17 and 5) get in the kitchen and make pre made meals for the days I just don't feel like making anything. My husband/son can just toss it in the oven and let it go. We also utilize our crock pot a lot, which is a great time saver.

Quoting CDMelty:

You only work 40 hours a week, they're all during the day, and your kid is 17. Tell me my defense of packaged food is somehow insulting when you work 12hr swing shifts and your kids are 10 and 11.

And I never said all poor people eat that food. I said poor people eat that food. Maybe you could ask your 17yo to tutor you in English comprehension. If all poodles are dogs, it doesn't mean all dogs are poodles. If poor people eat Kraft, it doesn't mean that all poor people eat Kraft or that only poor people eat Kraft.

Quoting emmy526:

i'm far from rich, make poverty wages,  and work 40hours a week, still cook and bake from scratch, and have taught my kids to do the same.  I don't get home til after 6, and its usually my 17yr old dd who makes dinner--from scratch, and has been for the last 4 years, since i've let her use the stove.   

That's a really lame generalization to use.  

Quoting CDMelty:

Poor people who work too many hours to have time for making dinners from scratch, or whose kids have to make their own dinner while Mom and Dad are at work.

coug7099
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I didn't even know there was anything else. Of course I buy canned veggies, Hamburger Helper, Rice-A-Roni, Kraft Mac N Cheese, Frozen Nuggets and French Fries. Most everyone I know buys that kind of food.

What else is there?

coug7099
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:47 PM

So far I am not really seeing what other people cook. I am just seeing people say they don't cook that crap.

Well, if not that crap then what do they cook?

Quoting emmy526:

Someone who is interested in what other moms do....if you aren't why did you reply to this post?

Quoting Alrescha:

Who really cares what type of food other people buy?

eema.gray
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yesterday, my kids had egg curry with greens for breakfast.  For lunch, they ate potatoes with butter and cream.  For dinner, we had spaghetti with homemade meat sauce.  Today, we had eggs and noodles (have to use left over noodles somehow.  For lunch, they will have potatoes and greens.  Dinner is going to be salmon cakes, snow peas with onions, and sauted spinach.  Now, tonight's dinner, yes, the salmon is canned.  But that's the only convenience involved.  :-)

Quoting coug7099:

So far I am not really seeing what other people cook. I am just seeing people say they don't cook that crap.

Quoting emmy526:

Someone who is interested in what other moms do....if you aren't why did you reply to this post?

Quoting Alrescha:

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

proudsahm04
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I used to buy them all the time. I used to because they were so cheap, I love to cook so I haven't bought those in a while. I used to buy the frozen lasagnas and the first time DH had it homemade he was shocked at how much he liked it, so now I'm not allowed to buy it frozen LOL!

Mommyx333
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

this

Quoting owl0210:

I buy Digiorno pizza and I'm not afraid to admit it. It's good.

DamiensMommy1
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 12:56 PM
I agree with this. No way you spend hours preparing every meal.. making the pasta, bread, and sauce and if its from 'scratch' like people are claiming everything should be home grown. I use helpers like jarred sauce spaghetti noodles etc.. and occasionally we will eat hamburger helper or ramen noodles. Once in awhile wont kill you.

Quoting needadvice1983:

I love how many people are claiming they NEVER use boxed stuff. Sure you make every single meal from scratch. *eye roll* I think too many of you are lying to look better. There is nothing wrong with using boxed or pre-made stuff from time to time. Get off your high horses. It's not going to kill my kids if I used canned speghetti sauce instead of growing the tomatoes myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coug7099
by Ruby Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Hmmm, Please don't think I am being a Bitch. These are serious questions.

I don't even know what egg curry is. By greens I assume you mean some form of green vegetable.

Potatoes? Like you baked a potato and fed it to them for lunch?

Do you make your own noodles? So you poached an egg and put that on the plate with some noodles?

I have never even seen salmon.

Quoting eema.gray:

Yesterday, my kids had egg curry with greens for breakfast.  For lunch, they ate potatoes with butter and cream.  For dinner, we had spaghetti with homemade meat sauce.  Today, we had eggs and noodles (have to use left over noodles somehow.  For lunch, they will have potatoes and greens.  Dinner is going to be salmon cakes, snow peas with onions, and sauted spinach.  Now, tonight's dinner, yes, the salmon is canned.  But that's the only convenience involved.  :-)

Quoting coug7099:

Quoting emmy526:

Quoting Alrescha:

Tyrneathem
by Bronze Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:02 PM

I do when I'm not feeling well or during special circumstances (moving day, party later in the day, travel, etc). As a vegetarian family, our options can be somewhat limited in the ready-made arena. It's amazing how many ways companies can sneak animal products into foods!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)