Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I want to get rid of my television

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM
  • 13 Replies
Ive been struggling with this decision for months.

I hate tv. It's a huge eyesore. I don't ever watch it. The girl watches PBS in the mornings and movies on rainy or sick days.

One thing that I don't want to do is get rid of ALL the VHS tapes that we have. We have some classic Disney and a few other mommy movies that I do like to watch every few months. It would be too expensive to purchase these on DVD. Knowing me, though, I wouldn't want to keep the VHS around if there's no way to watch them.

It is not a necessity for us. I have a desktop my brother built and a laptop for school. So on those rainy and sick days DD could still watch stuff on Hulu or the DVDs that we have.

Idk. I've been thinking about this for months and I am leaning towards just getting rid of it. It just seems like such a huge decision to make.

Help me decide!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:09 AM
Sell it?
How much would it cost to convert the VHS to DVD? Have you looked into that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM
I was considering that but my friend told me there is something in the VHS that prevents the words and picture from syncing up. I'm not sure how accurate that is so if someone could tell me I'd appreciate it. It also all depends on cost.

And no one would buy this tv. Lol! It's nothing fancy. Old huge box tv. No flat screen here.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Sell it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Emmy on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM

i'm withya there...i'd like to get rid of mine too...how about putting the tv away and taking it out only on rainy days?

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:11 AM
I got rid of directv. We have a wii and watch netflicks and hulu on TV. I think most of what is on tv is crap anyway. Phineas and Ferb starts looking high class then cable has a problem lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:12 AM
I considered getting a smaller tv so I could do that. The tv I have is a friggin monstrosity though. Lol.

And truthfully, I want to save as much money as I can right now, not spend more buying a new tv.

Quoting emmy526:

i'm withya there...i'd like to get rid of mine too...how about putting the tv away and taking it out only on rainy days?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:13 AM
We don't have any gaming systems either. It just seems pointless to own one besides the VHS deal.

Quoting MicheleJM:

I got rid of directv. We have a wii and watch netflicks and hulu on TV. I think most of what is on tv is crap anyway. Phineas and Ferb starts looking high class then cable has a problem lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jesistar6910
by on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:13 AM

It was the best decision we made in a long time. Not only financially speaking, but I find that I go outside more with the kid, and I am getting more exercise. I've actually read a book or too as well this summer so far. 

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Some pawn shops and People will buy those.
I sold one for $20. Lol. You won't get much but you'll get something.

Quoting epoh:

I was considering that but my friend told me there is something in the VHS that prevents the words and picture from syncing up. I'm not sure how accurate that is so if someone could tell me I'd appreciate it. It also all depends on cost.

And no one would buy this tv. Lol! It's nothing fancy. Old huge box tv. No flat screen here.

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Sell it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Emmy on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:14 AM

maybe you can find something at goodwill or a thrift store or yard sale?  or maybe make a trade with a thrift store....

Quoting epoh:

I considered getting a smaller tv so I could do that. The tv I have is a friggin monstrosity though. Lol.

And truthfully, I want to save as much money as I can right now, not spend more buying a new tv.

Quoting emmy526:

epoh
by Emerald Member on Jun. 20, 2012 at 7:15 AM
I could go poke around a pawn shop and see about a trade for something way smaller.

Quoting emmy526:

maybe you can find something at goodwill or a thrift store or yard sale?  or maybe make a trade with a thrift store....

Quoting epoh:

Quoting emmy526:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)