Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I think a little girl in my church class is being abused.

Posted by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM
  • 25 Replies
This week is vacation bible school. You always have kids that attend but don't attend church regularly. Well in my crafts class I have a 6 yr old girl that clung to me for dear life the first day. She is so sweet and cute. He face an mostly nose was horribly sunburned and blistered.

Today she came in and the beade flower on her flip flops was about to fall off. She was distraught. I told her I would cut it off and get brother pâté to fix it. She instantly started bawling. She said he grandma was going to be very mad at her. In my mind I'm like poor child these shoes couldn't be more than $5 and if that the case I'll buy another pair. Then as I am hugging her I notice her bruised arms that weren't there Monday. I asked her what happen and she said she didn't remember. Then I started asking about her dad. He is in jail. Asked about her mom. She is a drug addict. So I guess she is living with the not so nice grandma.
I asked around our church members to get more info. Apparently it wouldn't surprise a soul if this little girl was bein abused. And her home life is miserable is what I was told.

This has been eating away at me all night. I have no idea what to do. All I want is to take her in my arms and bring her home with me. I am hoping that I can pull her aside a have my pastor talk with her and me. He knows her family and her home life. It's eating me up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marmie41
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

If you feel this strongly, then contact the authorties and tell them of your concerns.  Better to be safe than sorry.  You may be her only advocate. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Definitely talk to the pastor about your concerns.  Hopefully someone can help her feel better about her life.  I can not imagine the pain she is in with both parents in bad places.

i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I would talk to the pastor ASAP.
See what he says or tells you&if he does anything about it.
If he doesn't,call CYFD yourself
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikitice
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I would talk to the Pastor by yourself first because he knows her family history and pray for her and her family. This is very touchy so tread lightly.

stockuponlove
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:08 AM
I'm always afraid that people will lie and get away with it and the abuse will only get worse. And if she was taken away could I then take her in?

Quoting marmie41:

If you feel this strongly, then contact the authorties and tell them of your concerns.  Better to be safe than sorry.  You may be her only advocate. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluebunbun
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:09 AM
Call cps don't you have to if you suspect????...this made me cry idk why
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stockuponlove
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM
I planned on doing it this way. Only problem is that my pastor has been out sick all week. I guess I could talk to my youth pastor. Maybe that would help.

Quoting kikitice:

I would talk to the Pastor by yourself first because he knows her family history and pray for her and her family. This is very touchy so tread lightly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i_lovedyoufirst
by Gold Member on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:10 AM
You could try to take her in.
CYFD prefers they go to family,before the go to a foster home.
You would really have to jump through hoops to be able to take her.

Quoting stockuponlove:

I'm always afraid that people will lie and get away with it and the abuse will only get worse. And if she was taken away could I then take her in?

Quoting marmie41:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GomezMami2908
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM

So...let me get this straight...other members of the church suspect abuse in the household and no one has done anything?? The obvious answer here is call CPS and tell them what you know, or what you suspect. 

I'm honestly kinda pissed that church people haven't called CPS about this. Very sad, and disappointing. 

Apollos82
by on Jun. 21, 2012 at 1:12 AM
Forget your pastor. You are in a teaching roll--you are now a mandatory reporter. Call CPS ASAP. Ive never suggested that on CM before and may never again, but I have two reasons for it this time: 1) It's legally required of you to report. If you do not, you may actually get in trouble of something happens to her. 2) You are morally responsible to report. "Whatever you do for the least of these, you have done so for Me." --Jesus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)