Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Our puppies keep dying... *Edited with information. *Update with news from vet

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:21 AM
  • 227 Replies

I don't know what to do! Our tiny lapdog gave birth to a litter of 4, west highland terrier/chihuahua mix. We just lost the 3rd. there is one left and he's a big rolypoly puppy, but the others were thriving and went downhill in the span of a day! i just don't know what to do! I'm trying to keep a handle on the fleas and heat, but I can't get on top of it. I keep them out of the hot sun, I gave them baths in Dawn dishwashing soap. But it's all not working!!

Is it safer at this point to send the remaining puppy to his new home to be bottlefed? They have central air and their pets don't have any fleas. The last puppy is 3 weeks old.

We can't afford a vet, but the new owners can.

edit:

We rescued a stray off the street. While making arrangements for a low-cost VAX and FIX, a male got into our yard and impregnated her. Unaware that they would still fix her and terminate the pregnancy, I let her continue the pregnancy and give birth. We will keep the Mama Dog and get her VAX'D and FIXED when the puppy is weaned or goes to a new home. The puppy is going to the vet today with his new owner. The vet will decide what we should do with the puppy. My dog is taken care of just fine, she simply hadn't had her shots or been spayed because of the short time-span in between acquiring her and her becoming pregnant. She will have those things done soon. You can relax.

Update:

The vet ended up recommending the puppy be taken from the mom and given a feeding tube. The puppy has done so well in the last day, the new owner can start with the bottle.

It turned out to be hookworm. Mama is getting a hookworm treatment from the pet store at her new home--my best gay's house. My DH forced me to give her away today, so I'm in a really bad mood about the whole thing. But, I am really grateful that my best gay lives a few blocks over and wanted a small dog.

Photobucket

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sherry132
by Sherry on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:26 AM
1 mom liked this

It might be the kindest thing to do. 

MommyLuvx5
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I would. :-( I'm so sorry!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3pippings
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:27 AM

BUMP!

CaptainFeast
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:28 AM

that's what i think. I'm just worried about separating him from his mommy

Quoting sherry132:

It might be the kindest thing to do. 

LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:28 AM
10 moms liked this
Get your fucking dog fixed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:29 AM

i'm really tore up about this. I love these puppies and each one that dies is killing me.

Quoting MommyLuvx5:

I would. :-( I'm so sorry!

afwifeandmommy3
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:29 AM
Why are they outside
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:30 AM
You can try coconut oil for the fleas. We are dealing with the same thing with a litter of 3 kittens the one we thought wasn't going to make it is the only one left alive. 3 weeks is way to early to pass the puppy on but maybe the new owners would pay for the vet bills that way the puppy can get treatment but remain with its mother till it weans at a healthy age
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CaptainFeast
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:31 AM

We were going to and then she got pregnant. We had her for like four days when the male got in our back yard. We need to use a discount to get her fixed and that takes time. We want to fix her before she goes into heat again.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

Get your fucking dog fixed.

CaptainFeast
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 4:32 AM

They are inside. I kept them in the laundry room, until one died of dehydration. We moved them into the main house, but it's a FL summer and we don't have central air.

Quoting afwifeandmommy3:

Why are they outside

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)