Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

(update at bottom of pg 1)Any vet/vet tehcs out there? Good vibes for my kitteh, please.

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM
  • 8 Replies

So I've made a couple posts about Sarabi, my foster cat. 

I'm currently waiting to hear back from her rescue. They got her spayed through this low cost clinic who did a CRAPTASTIC job. She was spayed Monday & I got her back on Tuesday. She wasn't her normal self but I didn't expect her to be right away. 

Then I noticed her incision was swelling & the staples were coming apart. While I'd been at hom with her I hadn't noticed her picking at it, but then again I work 6 hours out of the day too. 

So I took her to the clinic Thursday, they stapled her back up, gave me an e-collar & antibiotics & sent us on our way, even tho that I told them she hadn't had anything to eat or drink since I got her on Tuesday.

Fast forward to today. I keep her e-collar on unless she is in my direct eye sight. I haven't seen her pick at it. When I had to cook or help out my DS with something I put the e-collar back on. She ate a little bit & drank some cat milk. She just woke up & I checked her out because she was shaking. The staples are hanging on by a thread & the incision is wide open. 

Does anyone know if I put some sterile pads & gauze on it if it would be okay? It just seems like it is welcoming even more bacteria being wide open like that & of course out of all places in the house she wants to lay on the rug in the bathroom. 

Guuuh, I was just getting so excited because she finally ate & drank & now its like we took 2 steps back with the incision. The lady from the rescue responds best with text messages so I just sent her two letting her know pretty  much what I just said about the incision & the staples & I'm waiting to hear back from her. 

This is just so upsetting. TERRIBLE first foster experience. I love this girl to pieces already & will more than likely adopt her, but I want her healthy first. 

by on Jun. 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CABZS
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM

You can put sterile pads & wrap it but honestly she needs to be seen asap by a different vet.

If you have an emergency vet I would be taking her in, it is not good to have it wide open.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Quoting CABZS:

You can put sterile pads & wrap it but honestly she needs to be seen asap by a different vet.

If you have an emergency vet I would be taking her in, it is not good to have it wide open.

I know. I don't know what vet the rescue wants me to use. I'd hate to take her to one that isn't affiliated with the rescue & then the rescue be footed a huge vet bill. I live in Tacoma so there are quite a few ER vets. I'm still waiting for the rescue to text or call me back. 

This is SO irritating and infuriating. 

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 5:59 AM
Call the vets and ask them if they are affiliated with the rescue?

How is she doing now?

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting CABZS:

I know. I don't know what vet the rescue wants me to use. I'd hate to take her to one that isn't affiliated with the rescue & then the rescue be footed a huge vet bill. I live in Tacoma so there are quite a few ER vets. I'm still waiting for the rescue to text or call me back. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jeanetts
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:27 PM
How is kitty doing? Did you find a vet?
LexRi0709
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Bump for update
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:32 PM

BUMP!

taKENheart
by Flovely on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM

This exactly!
BUMP for update!

Quoting CABZS:

Call the vets and ask them if they are affiliated with the rescue?

How is she doing now?

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting CABZS:

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Sorry for lack of update. We got back around 1am & I was EXHAUSTED. 

So strangely enough they didn't stitch her back up. They said the way that it is healing it should just close in on itself & there will just be a little scar. They said to do a warm compress for 10-15 minutes a few times a day, gave us stronger antibiotics & liquid pain killer & left it at that. Which is awesome that she didn't need more surgery  because I'm paying for this out of pocket.

The rescue finally got back to me once we were at the ER & asked that I not take her unless there was puss coming out. Well, there was puss coming out. Then she asked if we could wait till tomorrow. I consulted with the triage at the animal ER & they said that she should most def. be seen that night because the staples were gone, the incision was open & oozing. 

I am SO done with this rescue. So there went $160 of my own money. I understand they probably have to go off of donatoins, but I dont feel like I should have had to pay for this out of my own money. BUT I did,because I love this cat & I dont want her hurting. I want her to get better, then I'm going to adopt her, and then I'm DONE fostering for them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)