Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kindle Fire for 7 year old boy?

Posted by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM
  • 77 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think a Kindle Fire is an appropriate gift for a 7 year old boy?

Options:

Yes

No

Maybe (explain)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 62

View Results

My fiance's ex just got my soon-to-be stepson a Kindle Fire for his 7th birthday.

Fiance and I are getting married in one week, btw! :)

My feeling is that 7 is too young for such an expensive device and do not want it in our home when he comes here (half of the week.) I have my 6 year DS in the house all the time and I don't want them fighting over it and/or my DS thinking that I'm going to get him one anytime soon. (NOT happening! lol)

But what she does in her home is her business I suppose.

What do you think?

by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyLeah73
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM
There's been a study done that kids that use these focus better and do better in school. Can't remember the source.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think restrict the Internet when he's in your house. Encourage the book reading aspect of the thing. You're going to be the evil queen if you ban it.

Use it as a teaching tool. Help him download books and read together while he's there. Better yet, the boys can read together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadedcynic
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM

My 9yo wanted one for her birthday and I got her one. Her brother got a Nintendo 3DS for his birthday and they cost the same. She can read, listen to music, and watch movies on it. I liked hers so much that I bought my own the next day.

babybear910
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I should add... the main reason she got it was so he could play games not read.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM
I said maybe because it really deoends on the kid. My DS got his for Christmas, he was 11 1/2. My DD is 7 and she has an iPod Touch.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
doulala
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:16 AM

What are your rules?

We are media-free completely (except some G movies on weekends only).      So obviously that doesn't work here.   You'd have to see what works for you.      Do you want him to play games/read?

KMAsMommy9182
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:21 AM

This is a hard call.  I wouldn't buy one for my child, but I don't see the big deal either.  It is mainly for reading books and playing some educational games, which is not a big deal (you can block all the internet or make her play with it where you can keep an eye on her).  Honestly, I would probably just tell everyone involved that if it comes into your home, then she has to share with her younger stepbrother.  I would voice my concerns about the possibility of such an expensive gift possibly being broken with a younger child around.  Your sd may choose to leave it at "home" just so she doesn't have to share or BM may tell her to leave it at home so that nothing happens to it.

RoyaLioness
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Depends on the maturity and responsibility level of the child.

tennisgal
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is perfectly reasonable and I am NOT one for extravagant gifts...ever! However, we did get my son a Nook for his 6th bday and he has taken great care of it. We, of course got him a case that it clicks into to protect it. I have downloaded a ton of books (I liked B&N selection better than Kindle's for children's books). He's also allowed to get on PBS. He doesn't play it a lot and he doesn't have any other video game type of things, but we can download a new book whenever we want and he thinks that's really cool.

I don't think it's fair for you to tell him he can't have his own toy at your house. Tell your DS it's not his toy and that he needs to respect his stepbrother's things. 

babybear910
by on Jun. 24, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Quoting doulala:

What are your rules?

We are media-free completely (except some G movies on weekends only).      So obviously that doesn't work here.   You'd have to see what works for you.      Do you want him to play games/read?

I guess I wouldn't have as much as an issue with it if they were a little older. Also DSS does not take good care of his belongings and his mother spoils him. And the kids already have Nintendo DS's (though time is limited on it) so I just didn't see why another electronic device was really needed. I feel like they can read old fashioned books. But maybe I am just old school (or old)! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)