Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Working 16 hours a week but getting paid for forty?!?!

Posted by   + Show Post
I got a offer for a new position(at the same place I have been working) today to work 16 hours every weekend(2/ 8hr nights) and get paid for 40!!! I now pick up most weekends anyways so it works out and I can have a weekend off every 6 weeks if u choose. I told my mil and she just said "no wonder the health care system is so broke"! It really irritates me and ruined my good mood!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 4:32 PM
Replies (31-40):
AjCeCeMom
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:25 PM
Just go for it. I'm on FT salary and work about 30 :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krayzbabylove
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh ok :)

Quoting JustCJ:

I didn't mean to come off like you were. I was just saying.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Thinking it is wrong to pay for hours that aren't worked does not equal begrudging them.

Quoting JustCJ:

I get what you and op's mil are saying but I don't begrudge someone good fortune. This is exactly why I am getting in the healthcare field, even with perks like this, they can't keep nurses etc.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

I have to agree with your mother in law. You shouldn't be paid for hours you aren't working.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RyansMommie07
by Jessica Lynne on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM

go for it. they're called baylor positions, and the benefits are good. they consider you full time for working 24 hours (2 shifts, 12 hours a night) during the weekend because so many people call out and they cant work short. its a win win for everyone

cdi
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:39 PM
It is fairly common in the healthcare field :)

Quoting krayzbabylove:

The company.

Quoting cdi:

On my part or the companies? I worked basically every weekend anyways just didnt have the position so only got my regular hourly wage of $24 an $1.50 weekend diff

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Seems really unethical to me.

Quoting cdi:

It is the position. Everyone is required to work everyother weekend and don't get the wage difference. For that matter if you work every weekend an are not classified as a weekend warrior you don't get the difference. We get the weeken differential on top of our $60 an hour

Quoting krayzbabylove:

So on weekends your hourly wage is different.. that is not the same as paying someone for hours they aren't working, which is what you described in your op. Shift differential is very common in many companies.

Quoting cdi:

What they do is take my hourly wage times 40 hours then divide it out to 16 hours. So my $24/hr is $60/hr but if I call off one day during the weekend I just get my normal wage

Quoting krayzbabylove:

I have to agree with your mother in law. You shouldn't be paid for hours you aren't working.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krayzbabylove
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:42 PM
And we wonder why health care is so out of control expensive.

Quoting cdi:

It is fairly common in the healthcare field :)

Quoting krayzbabylove:

The company.

Quoting cdi:

On my part or the companies? I worked basically every weekend anyways just didnt have the position so only got my regular hourly wage of $24 an $1.50 weekend diff

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Seems really unethical to me.

Quoting cdi:

It is the position. Everyone is required to work everyother weekend and don't get the wage difference. For that matter if you work every weekend an are not classified as a weekend warrior you don't get the difference. We get the weeken differential on top of our $60 an hour

Quoting krayzbabylove:

So on weekends your hourly wage is different.. that is not the same as paying someone for hours they aren't working, which is what you described in your op. Shift differential is very common in many companies.

Quoting cdi:

What they do is take my hourly wage times 40 hours then divide it out to 16 hours. So my $24/hr is $60/hr but if I call off one day during the weekend I just get my normal wage

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I have been in the field for 18 years and I have NEVER heard of anyone getting a job like this!  I think it's awesome, believe me, but it's just so uncommonly RARE, it needed to be stated.  This is a perk I have never heard of, usually they want us to clock out and work off the clock.  That is customary.

Quoting JustCJ:

I get what you and op's mil are saying but I don't begrudge someone good fortune. This is exactly why I am getting in the healthcare field, even with perks like this, they can't keep nurses etc.

Quoting krayzbabylove:

cdi
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:11 PM
This is the second place I worked at that offers this. The positions are normally so hard to get though so I didn't think I was going to get one

Quoting opal10161973:

I have been in the field for 18 years and I have NEVER heard of anyone getting a job like this!  I think it's awesome, believe me, but it's just so uncommonly RARE, it needed to be stated.  This is a perk I have never heard of, usually they want us to clock out and work off the clock.  That is customary.

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I keep hearing about the great pay and benefits that other people are getting and it makes me want to get the heck out of Florida!  They pay us crap down here!

Quoting cdi:

This is the second place I worked at that offers this. The positions are normally so hard to get though so I didn't think I was going to get one

Quoting opal10161973:

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting krayzbabylove:

cdi
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM
We are actually told there are sign on bonuses down there lol.

Quoting opal10161973:

I keep hearing about the great pay and benefits that other people are getting and it makes me want to get the heck out of Florida!  They pay us crap down here!

Quoting cdi:

Quoting opal10161973:

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on Jun. 25, 2012 at 6:35 PM

There used to be all the time, but I haven't seen any in my area for awhile now.  It doesn't matter either, because the pay is so low and the benefits are so bad, that it is worse to work down here compared with the cost of living. 

Quoting cdi:

We are actually told there are sign on bonuses down there lol.

Quoting opal10161973:

Quoting cdi:

Quoting opal10161973:

Quoting JustCJ:

Quoting krayzbabylove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN