Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

what the heck?! have you seen anything like this before?WTF LOOK AT THIS!!!tornados!!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

this is what's above our town right now. what. the. hell. is that.

i have never seen clouds like this before

HOLY SHIT!!! NEAR PENSE!!! STOLEN FROM A FRIENDS PHOTOS!! LOL

THERE ARE PHOTOS ALL OVER FACEBOOK FROM PEOPLE IN OUR PROVINCE, I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS NEVER SEEN CLOUDS LIKE THIS BEFORE!!

sorry wasn't yelling lol

this is just south of us about 80 km

by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
mackQuin
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM
They are called mammathus clouds or something like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mybabytristan
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:37 PM
very awesome! It looks like bubble wrap lol. On the other hand i am in ohio and not anywhere near them or i would be freaked!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:38 PM
Mammatus clouds is what they are called :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat-baloo
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM

i live in sask, canada. this is NOT normal here, never seen clouds like this before. a pic ( not mine) of the same type of clouds was taken about 100km from here on was on the weather network.

we are getting a lot of little tornados too

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Where do you live?

mackQuin
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Is it storming near you? They arrested ususally seen with avil clouds that are with thunderstorms
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat-baloo
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM

i live in wide open country, and gaze at the clouds all the time, first time i have ever seen these lol, me and mom and aunty pretty weirded out by them

Quoting starreyedcutie:

mackQuin
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:40 PM
Tornadoes..yep those clouds are normal.

We get them all the time in Oklahoma. They are usually present when a severe storm is near

Quoting cat-baloo:

i live in sask, canada. this is NOT normal here, never seen clouds like this before. a pic ( not mine) of the same type of clouds was taken about 100km from here on was on the weather network.

we are getting a lot of little tornados too

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Where do you live?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
starreyedcutie
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM
It's clouds that form in "sinking" air and usually form under a thunderstorms anvil :)

Quoting cat-baloo:

i live in wide open country, and gaze at the clouds all the time, first time i have ever seen these lol, me and mom and aunty pretty weirded out by them

Quoting starreyedcutie:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cat-baloo
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Mammatus are most often associated with the anvil cloud and also severe thunderstorms. They often extend from the base of a cumulonimbus, but may also be found under altocumulus, altostratus, stratocumulus, and cirrus clouds, as well as volcanic ash clouds.[citation needed] In the United States, sky gazers may be most familiar with the very distinct and more common cumulonimbus mammatus. When occurring in cumulonimbus, mammatus are often indicative of a particularly strong storm or maybe even a tornadic storm. Due to the intensely sheared environment in which mammatus form, aviators are strongly cautioned to avoid cumulonimbus with mammatus.

Mammatus may appear as smooth, ragged or lumpy lobes and may be opaque or translucent. Because mammatus occur as a grouping of lobes, the way they clump together can vary from an isolated cluster to a field of mamma that spread over hundreds of kilometers to being organized along a line, and may be composed of unequal or similarly-sized lobes. The individual mammatus lobe average diameters of 1–3 km and lengths on average of 0.5 km. A lobe can last an average of 10 minutes, but a whole cluster of mamma can range from 15 minutes to a few hours. They usually are composed of ice, but also can be a mixture of ice and liquid water or be composed of almost entirely liquid water

L8ly3196
by on Jun. 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
K

Quoting cat-baloo:

i have more pics just need to email myself from my phone, wait, there's more

Quoting L8ly3196:

Never seen anything like it but it looks cool

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN