Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

any vet/vet techs?? my puppy is sick :( **UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

ok we plan on taking him to the vet when dh gets paid...but thats not til monday :( and the vet here will not work with you on payments. sooo yesterday our puppy was fine....eating, drinking, playing, his normal puppy self :) but today he is very lethargic, not eating or drinking...i think he may have gotten over heated. he wasnt outside very long, but it was 105 before heat index today...and i'm afraid he got too hot while he was out there. we brought him in and put him in a cool bath and forced some fluids (water in a syringe) but he's still not eating or perking up. a little while after his fluids, he threw some of it back up :( i dont know what to do...any advice to make it through this week? should he get better in a few days...like in normal circumstances...a few days of recovery? (kwim?) also....we gave him his shots 2 days ago...could he be having a reaction to them???

so he was really bad this morning, so dh got ahold of SIL, and she loaned us the money to take him to the vet. i left work early and took him. we got to the vet at 11....he made it to the waiting room and took his last breath. :( i was holding him and he had his head on my shoulder...it was horrible. something i will never forget.

Married to Brian and Mom to: Jazzmin Paige 12-20-2010, Dominic James 9-14-2009, Alena Nicole 3-3-2006

in love  breastfeeding toddler boy toddler girl

by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
connietrrll
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM

He should of been vaccinated for Parvo starting at 6 weeks, then 9, and then again 12 weeks. If he was exposed it he may be showing the first signs of it! But, Parvo will progress quickly!

Has the puppy been wormed.

Also Labs and Rotties are not really warm weather animals so keeping him inside is probably best unless he has to go potty!

Quoting bopanddomsmom:

i've been giving him syringes of water (just like when my kids are sick and not drinking well) i hope its not parvo...he was vaxed for it...but just a couple days ago

Quoting Fields456:

I am not a vet tech but I have a,ways had dogs, If it has been more than 24 hrs with not drinking it's not a good thing, I could be a bad reaction to the vaccines. But. It could also be something else like parvo ( which is not good). You should try to find a vet In a close town that will take him plus a posted dated check Also just like with ppl the longer he goes with out at least drinking the worse it is going to get. Good luck

You could also try the nearest shelter they eight helo

bopanddomsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:45 AM

ok...eyes are white, gums....ehhh kind of both. a rosey pink around the teeth, paler towards the top. his scruff stayed pinched.....is that bad???

Quoting C8linVilla:

is he next to you? are you online? go look at him. look at his eyes are they red or white? look at his gums are they pink or pale? scruff the back of his neck does the skin spring back or stay pinched?

Married to Brian and Mom to: Jazzmin Paige 12-20-2010, Dominic James 9-14-2009, Alena Nicole 3-3-2006

gum.drop
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:46 AM
Very dehydrated get that Pedialyte fast.

Quoting bopanddomsmom:

ok...eyes are white, gums....ehhh kind of both. a rosey pink around the teeth, paler towards the top. his scruff stayed pinched.....is that bad???

Quoting C8linVilla:

is he next to you? are you online? go look at him. look at his eyes are they red or white? look at his gums are they pink or pale? scruff the back of his neck does the skin spring back or stay pinched?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Racer15
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:47 AM
Scruff staying pinched is a sign of dehydration.
C8linVilla
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:48 AM

If it stays pinched it means he is dehydrated. that with the pale gums would tell me more dehydrated then parvo. I am not currently employed as a vet tech but went to school for one. i would get him fluids. mix them with a little chicken broth even to see if he will take them. if nothing else you should be able to get some fluids from the feed store to use an IV with to give him. I would recommend that the best. you put it in the back of his neck like a shot and let him chill with it. it will put a big lunp in his neck but his body will obsorbe it at its own speed and he should get better. (that is IF for sure it is dehydration) 

Quoting bopanddomsmom:

Quoting C8linVilla:

bopanddomsmom
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:50 AM

yea...this will probably sound stupid (and such a lame excuse for being a bad mommy) but we were unsure if his previous owner vaxed him...so we waited til now to do it (we've had him about a month) so if he had been vaxed it would be time for more, kwim? they guy at the pet supply store said since we were unsure to get him the 1st set and start over just in case. so he got those a few days ago, then he'll have the next set in another month. but yes he has been dewormed.

Quoting connietrrll:

He should of been vaccinated for Parvo starting at 6 weeks, then 9, and then again 12 weeks. If he was exposed it he may be showing the first signs of it! But, Parvo will progress quickly!

Also Labs and Rotties are not really warm weather animals so keeping him inside is probably best unless he has to go potty!

Quoting bopanddomsmom:

i've been giving him syringes of water (just like when my kids are sick and not drinking well) i hope its not parvo...he was vaxed for it...but just a couple days ago

Quoting Fields456:

I am not a vet tech but I have a,ways had dogs, If it has been more than 24 hrs with not drinking it's not a good thing, I could be a bad reaction to the vaccines. But. It could also be something else like parvo ( which is not good). You should try to find a vet In a close town that will take him plus a posted dated check Also just like with ppl the longer he goes with out at least drinking the worse it is going to get. Good luck

C8linVilla
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I would not force it down though. that could make him swallow wrong and cause worse issues. i think the subcutaneous fluids would be best(in the neck) it will not go into his lungs like forcing fluids can and he can regulate himself. you dont want to do it to fast. you wouldnt think it could case pneumonia but it can. didnt see a reply has he peed or pood? any color to the pee? or very strong smell/blood in the poo?

C8linVilla
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Most vets offices will re vax if you do not bring them written proof that they have been vaxed. they do not typically wait. i would not trust everything the pet stores tell you. remember they dont not need college training to work at a pet store. i have found them to be wrong alot of the time

Quoting bopanddomsmom:

yea...this will probably sound stupid (and such a lame excuse for being a bad mommy) but we were unsure if his previous owner vaxed him...so we waited til now to do it (we've had him about a month) so if he had been vaxed it would be time for more, kwim? they guy at the pet supply store said since we were unsure to get him the 1st set and start over just in case. so he got those a few days ago, then he'll have the next set in another month. but yes he has been dewormed.

Quoting connietrrll:

Quoting bopanddomsmom:

Quoting Fields456:

Racer15
by Member on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM
Unfortunately, dehydration IS part of parvo. The signs and symptoms you have described sound like classic parvo. Forcing fluids won't help much. They may rehydrate him, but the parvo will progress. I know money is tight, but you really need to get him to a vet.
C8linVilla
by on Jun. 27, 2012 at 2:58 AM
1 mom liked this

ok off to bed. if you want to pm me you can ill be back in the AM. or you can even find me on FB for faster response! if you need anything let me know :) ust search Caitlin Wright Villasenor or if that does not work search my business page that will work C8lin's Soap Shop.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN