Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Schools in 49 states have banned sunscreen! Oh, mommies, WE NEED TO FIX THIS!

Posted by   + Show Post

Two elementary school girls in Tacoma, Washington have reportedly suffered severe sunburns after their school banned sunscreen, MSNBC.com is reporting. The girls are sisters, and one of them has a skin condition that makes her especially sensitive to the sun. According to MSNBC, the girls’ mother is challenging the ban:

Their mother said seeing her girls walk through the door was a moment she’ll never forget. “It was horrifying to see (Violet’s) bright red face. There were welts, she was swollen and then I saw Zoe’s shoulders. It was absolutely painful and gut-wrenching to look at. I was horrified.” The burns were so severe, [Jesse] Michener whisked her daughters to the local hospital for examinations.

When Michener pressed school officials on the ban, they told her that there is a state-wide policy that does not allow staff to apply sunscreen to students, and students can only apply it themselves if they have a doctor’s note. The law exists because the additives in lotions and sunscreens can cause an allergic reaction in children, and sunscreens are regulated by the FDA as an over-the-counter drug. Michener discovered that the policy exists in 49 states nationwide; California is the only state to allow sunscreen in school without a doctor’s note.

“I did share with the principal that any policy that didn’t allow her to use common sense was something that I had to do something about,” Michener said. “She nodded and shook her head.”

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Replies (211-220):
LoriLou75
by Lori on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:36 AM

The school is trying to cover their own ass, if this is your schools policy, get a Dr's note!

JennPearce
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:43 AM
I think this is a mess up on both parts. The school isn't responsible for making sure every kid has sunscreen on but they did notice the girls were getting burned & didn't do anything about it, like bring them inside. The mom is at fault as well. She should have sunscreened the girls up before school & if need be come back to apply it before the field day or should have taken care of the situation with the school nurse in advance if she couldn't be there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM
That is what my kids camp wants us to do...apply sunscreen before dropoff. I live in Florida. My kids tan easily but if I had a kid like hers I would sunscreen her every day. The sun can be brutal. On the other hand I am the kind of mom that I would send the lotion with her and not realize a ban until the schools phone call.

Quoting beadingmom17:

I see nothing wrong with the policy...be a parent and put sunscreen on your kid before school and if they're old enough to apply it themselves, get a doctor's note so they can do so. End of story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CBMMOM
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Quoting i_lovedyoufirst:

Considering the problems the mother says her daughters have,it wouldn't have been that hard to get a doctors note.
It was her own bad judgement not the schools fault.

Exactly. And if your child has a condition that causes her to burn easily,why would you send her out with bare shoulders? I wonder if the children wore hats.

.oOMellyOo.
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

.... and what if a teacher HAD put sunscreen on the children and then they had an allergic reaction? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM
I would imagine a girl this sensitive would have a prescription sunscreen, no? My understanding of application is put it on before exposure, reapply every two hours or after water play. Sunscreen doesnt offer total protection anyway not in Fla. Better the mom should have gotten a dr's note that dd needed a hat and a good shirt outside with long sleeves.

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Derp. Sunscreen doesn't last all damn day sweetie. Had she applied by the time they got to school and made it outside it would've lasted an hour. When the sun isn't as strong. So you have 23 people who think your right. Please educate yourself on proper sunscreen use and the 23 who like this response.

Quoting mjande4:

This has NOTHING to do with a sunscreen ban and EVERYTHING to do with an incompetent mother!  Mom didn't bother putting sunscreen on her daughters when she KNEW that they would be outside for field day. The mother is an idiot!  End of story.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MBorati-Collins
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:56 AM
My daughter's kindergarten applies it in her, but they call me to ask first. They do it a lot. Weather here is crazy, I can't predict the sun.
lwalker270
by Lara on Jun. 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Right, but kids in school typically spend some portion of the day outside. If the condition is serious enough for a 504, she should have ensured sunscreen was at the school.

Quoting gypsy_rose:

the articles say the kids had NEVER been on a trip before (few pages back) so she had NO IDEA about the sunscreen law.

Quoting lwalker270:

It has nothing to do with knowing about proper sunscreen use.  At least one of the girls had a 504 plan in place for albinism.  Why wasn't there sunscreen at the school with the appropriate note so the girls could have gotten sunscreen?  And while it wouldn't have been effective all day if it had been applied at home, it would have been better than no initial protection -- which is what they had.  

My son has asthma that doesn't require a 504 plan and we keep medication at the school just in case he needs it.  If the class goes on a field trip, the nurse packs up his medication and it goes too along with detailed instructions for the teacher should they need to give it to him.  The mother should have ensured sunscreen was at the school with the appropriate doctors note.

I absolutely think the staff should have sent the girls inside when they noticed they were getting sunburned; however, I don't believe the fault is entirely on the school.  The mother does hold some culpability as well.  

Quoting cherrywaves21:

Derp. Sunscreen doesn't last all damn day sweetie. Had she applied by the time they got to school and made it outside it would've lasted an hour. When the sun isn't as strong. So you have 23 people who think your right. Please educate yourself on proper sunscreen use and the 23 who like this response.

Quoting mjande4:

This has NOTHING to do with a sunscreen ban and EVERYTHING to do with an incompetent mother!  Mom didn't bother putting sunscreen on her daughters when she KNEW that they would be outside for field day. The mother is an idiot!  End of story.

reesesami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:01 AM
Yes, the mother should have put sunscreen in her daughters but perhaps she did. I'm super white and burn very easily. If I don't reapply sunscreen every few hours, I'll burn I'd I have direct sun contact, like just being outside, not necessarily at the beach. I've never heard of this ban but I live in California so maybe that's why.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessi2girls
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Our daughters pre-k, sent out letters and forms to parents to sign for this... we didn't need doctors notes, but needed to fill out a medical form allowing them to apply it to the child, as well as provide the sunscreen..

I saw nothing wrong with that.

However a policy like this should be made known to the parents so that they CAN take the proper steps to ensure that their children are protected from the sun.... at that, I'd fault the school for their failing to properly notify parents of these policies.

On that note... it is also the parents job to be informed themselves, at times something like this may be in fine print in some packets we get for our children... we need to make ourselves aware of such things, so that WE can take proper steps in this.

On the state "ban".. I don't agree that a doctor should have to prescribe something like sunscreen, however I can see having the parents bring a note, and providing sunscreen for their own child...

I cant say.. well, oh just apply before the child goes to school.. dermatologist recommend reapplying after every 2 hours.. or after the person sweats or swims.. most children go out at the end of the day, and those 2 hours have well been over, and reapplication is a definite must.  To those that are saying as much... need to realize sunscreen is not going to protect the child for as long as they seem to assume it will... it's not an option.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)