Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who do your call to report animal abandonment?

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM
  • 14 Replies

I have a neibor that is planning on moving out of state. She has mentioned that she doesn't plan on taking her cat with her. The cat is mainly a outside cat, mostly only comes inside to eat and sleep if its cold and rainy (which is often where we live). She didn't mention anything about finding a new home for the cat or anything. I dont know for sure, but I am almost positive she plans on just abandoning the cat. I know if I ask about it, she will say she's going to find a home, but knowing her she wont. I think it is absolutely horrible to do that to a pet. If she does, I will leave food out and stuff. Probably try to catch her to find her a home or take her to a no kill shelter. However, if this is the case, I want to report the neighbor. I will have all her information to where she is moving. I read you can call animal control and they might be able to press charges or something. Is this right? Are they who I would contact? Would I have to turn the cat over to them? I'm afraid if I do, the cat might be put down.

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I have no clue who or how you would report , or what would happen to kitty . Call animal control and ask ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

start with the non emergency number for your local police... they will help you from there.

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Call the city or the local humane society they would know how to handle that...That's really sad 

And yes it's against the law to just leave a pet when you move so do try and get any info you can 

She should def. get in trouble if she really does leave that poor cat 

Hugs to that poor furbaby !cat

ff-princess
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

unfortunately, all the owner has to say is that she got out when they were crating her and they couldn't find her. 

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

First off, where do you live? That would help greatly in trying to find a no-kill shelter for you to contact. 

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

And yes i love cats! 

mom_dl6
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

If you know diff, tell them and maybe even take video or pics possibly when they are not around to show that the cat is a indoor outdoor cat that she does come and go that might help  :0) Just to document that she does go to and from,, then that will not be a legal excuse !

Quoting ff-princess:

unfortunately, all the owner has to say is that she got out when they were crating her and they couldn't find her. 

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

But if I tell them that it is a outside cat and she had already said she was leaving without it, couldn't that help?

Quoting ff-princess:

Seagodess
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Great idea. Thanks.

Quoting mom_dl6:

If you know diff, tell them and maybe even take video or pics possibly when they are not around to show that the cat is a indoor outdoor cat that she does come and go that might help  :0) Just to document that she does go to and from,, then that will not be a legal excuse !

Quoting ff-princess:

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM
But it would be her word against yours :(

Quoting Seagodess:

But if I tell them that it is a outside cat and she had already said she was leaving without it, couldn't that help?

Quoting ff-princess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)