Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

11 year Old and 7 year Old

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
  • 19 Replies

I have an 11 year old daughter and a 7 year old son. They are both mature for the ages and get along very well together.  Do you think it would be ok to leave them at home if i went to the gym for an hour? My hubby works out of state, which is why im asking this, he said they'd be fine.... what do you think?

by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Two_Hearts
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM

It really all depends on your state laws. 

I know that with my 10 yr old ..i can leave her at home by herself for approx 20-25 minutes...any longer is a no no.

Marranna777
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:26 PM

i think its ok if they are that mature just make some very strong rules like dont touch the stove dont eat dont go outside ETC... and call and check on them every 20 min or so and make sure ur cell is on and they know the # ( if u have 1 )

CABZS
by Ruby Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM

My son is 12, he's been staying home for short periods since he was 10.

My DD is 7 & I will leaver her w/her brother, but no more than an hour.

mackQuin
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
It depends on how mature the 11 year old is. I have two those ages and I wouldn't trust my 11 year old with a pet rock. LOL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kcook55
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

no i wouldnt imo 11 is too young to baby sit her little brother

Kelguest
by Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:31 PM

She is very mature, they both know not to answer doors, or go outside,  both know my cell#  by heart, my daughter has her own cell phone so she or him would be able to get hold of me. I dont know what the american laws are like ( i am british ) and would hate to get into trouble with the law here!!!

Thanks for your comments!!

mackQuin
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:33 PM
I don't think many states have a age ..I think its just based on maturity and parental common sense.

Quoting Kelguest:

She is very mature, they both know not to answer doors, or go outside,  both know my cell#  by heart, my daughter has her own cell phone so she or him would be able to get hold of me. I dont know what the american laws are like ( i am british ) and would hate to get into trouble with the law here!!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NananRaysmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:35 PM
Mature or not...an 11 yr old child should not be responsible for another child.. IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM
There are only 4 states with age laws, I believe, but there are also county laws. You can call your local police department to inquire about the laws in your area.

As long as your 11yo is responsible and you think your 7yo will listen to her (esp in the event of an emergency), I wouldn't have a problem with it. My 12yo watched my 8yo when they were your kids' ages.

Quoting Kelguest:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MB13
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 8:38 PM

For an hour, I wold think that is Ok..  Do you have a neighbor that they could call if needed?  How far away is the gym and will you have your phone with you in case of emergency?  Many kids that age are alone when they get home from school for an hour or more, so if you feel that they are mature enough to deal with it and know how to handle emergency situations, they should be fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)