Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

They refused to sell me Sudafed! Can they do that?

Posted by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 471 Replies
1 mom liked this
First off I know laws differ by state. I live in Tenessee and as of now due to the overwhelming amount of methamphetamine production the sell of psuedoephedrine is strictly monitored. I totally get that and I am all for it. Now it's been probably at least a year since I've bought any and then I just gave them my drivers license, they entered my information into the system and sold it to me. I'm coming down with a horrible cold and stopped at Walgreens for some medicine. I tell the Pharmacist i would like to buy some sudafed. He never asks to see my drivers license, never asked my name, nothing to identify myself. Instead he asked my symptoms which is congestion and runny nose. Apparently that answer wasn't good enough and he refused to sell it to me. So I'm standing there and I feel like I'm being treated as a criminal. I was kind of shocked. Now I'm wondering if he was even allowed to refuse to sell it to me? Anyone have any info?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tracylynnr67
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM
6 moms liked this

I don't know. I would try another store and see if you can get it there. I know that there is a limit on how much you can buy in a certain time period (I think once a month is okay) and that you have to show your ID but I don't think that they can flat out refuse to sell it.

AjCeCeMom
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:43 PM
30 moms liked this
Do you look a little dodgy? Shifty eyes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
supermom2xlb
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, they can refuse to sell it to you.

crbmom1
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM
3 moms liked this
I had just left work. I was wearing scrubs and my badge identifying myself as an RN.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Do you look a little dodgy? Shifty eyes?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommymelissa76
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Sorry, no info here. Ive never had a probem. Im in CT. Here's a bump though!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tabitha109
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes they can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LTryon
by Silver Member on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM
I had a bad cold when I was pregnant with dd this past November, and the pharmacist refused to sell me sudafed unless I called my OB right there in front of him and got it ok'd.. Even though I had just called her to find out what I could take right before I left for the pharmacy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CookieMom108
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:47 PM
21 moms liked this

Wow!  IMO, the pharmacist was totally in the wrong.  He's not a doctor, who is he to determine the severity of your symptoms. Nor is he a law enforcement officer.  I'd complain to Walgreens headquarters, in writing.  Sounds like some sort of discrimination to me.  It's my understanding that they do have the right to refuse to sell it to you, but only if you've been buying it like say .... daily.  I've been refused because I didn't have id on me, but not for any other reason.  And not for Sudafed, for Advil cold and sinus which has the same ingredient.  I don't know of anyone who's been flat out refused for the reason you were.  I don't even know anyone who's been refused it at all. There's not much you can do except go somewhere else, and complain about the pharmacist at Walgreens.  That sucks. 

supermom2xlb
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:48 PM
3 moms liked this

New Sudafed laws in Tennessee say that the pharmacist has the right to ask your symptoms and refuse sale. Google it.

Quoting CookieMom108:

Wow!  IMO, the pharmacist was totally in the wrong.  He's not a doctor, who is he to determine the severity of your symptoms. Nor is he a law enforcement officer.  I'd complain to Walgreens headquarters, in writing.  Sounds like some sort of discrimination to me.  It's my understanding that they do have the right to refuse to sell it to you, but only if you've been buying it like say .... daily.  I've been refused because I didn't have id on me, but not for any other reason.  And not for Sudafed, for Advil cold and sinus which has the same ingredient.  I don't know of anyone who's been flat out refused for the reason you were.  I don't even know anyone who's been refused it at all. There's not much you can do except go somewhere else, and complain about the pharmacist at Walgreens.  That sucks. 

ButterflyGenie
by on Jun. 29, 2012 at 9:50 PM
2 moms liked this
It's mandated by the DEA and FDA. Here's the numbers (888) 463-6332
(301) 796-3400
druginfo@fda.hhs.gov
It's a federal issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN