Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Momma's with STUBBORN little ones!!!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM
  • 15 Replies
I need a little advice. My oldest daughter turned 4 on Fathers Day and my youngest will be 2 on the 15th.
My almost 2 year old is so naughty and stubborn. I feel like I have tried everything and nothing works: spanking, time outs, taking stuff away, sticker charts, positive reinforcement, distraction, EVERYTHING!!!
She throws things when she gets mad. She throws fit and throws herself on the ground and kicks. She is a screamer! When we are in the car she just screams and yells, if you ask her why she is screaming, she says she is stuck. The other day I got to the point that I pulled over and sat her on the grass at the church and told her if she wanted to scream she could scream there.
She screams and cries the whole time in the store.

My 4 year old was never like this. I feel like she is controlling the whole house.

I'm open to any ideas.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
opinionatedmom
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

ignore her. i used to ask my oldest if he was done with his tantrum yet if he said no I would say "please continue" it was no fun anymore and he would quit

AmandaMaeBell
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Honey, you just described my girls, who are also 2 and 4.  My 2 year old is a terror!!  Bump for advice at well!!

kcook55
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM

i would ignore her she knows the more she screams the more reaction she gets from you. my dd used to be like that till i started ignoring her acting like she wasnt there she would get so mad but i wouldnt speak to her till she stopped screaming. she way be stubborn but i am 10 times more stubborn than she thinks she is

mousesmommy81
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM
When we are shopping and she is screaming and yelling, I ignore her. She will start hitting me and has and ear piercing scream. I ignore her and let her scream for about 10 minutes and then I get down and look in her eyes and whisper to her. She has to stop screaming to hear me. But it doesn't last long
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM
Ds used to do this . We started 2 min time outs , even in the store . Taking toys away ect . I hated the 2's
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crysjuls
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I take my 2yr old in the bathroom, wash his face with water and get down to his level and ask him to shhhh. When I do the shhhh sound, he starts calming down. Then ask him if he's ready to go out. He either says yes or no. sometimes kids get overwhelmed, too, and need their oen space to just relax and calm down. This has worked so well with my son and he's very naughty and hard headed at times. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Schedule tantrums. Make them a chore. Every day for a week at, say two PM, tell your child it is time for her daily tantrum. Put her in a nice comfey chair and tell her to yell and scream. If she starts to tantrum anytime before or after that, simply say, "Oh, it's not time for a tantrum yet. Tantrums are at 2'o'clock.".

She'll look at you like you're nuts, but it will sure lose its novelty after that.

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I always washed the kids' faces with a cold wash cloth after they cried. Right up until they were pretty damned big, like 11 or 12. Sounds like a very good way to prevent a tantrum, too, I'll bet.

Quoting crysjuls:

I take my 2yr old in the bathroom, wash his face with water 

mousesmommy81
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Man, I feel like I am looking in a mirror!  I have a 4 yr old daughter, who was a dream compared to my 2 yr old daughter!  We call her Sami the Destroyer because you truly cannot turn your back on her without her getting into trouble or making a mess!  I remove her from the situation, let her cry without responding to it and time out. 

I dont let any child control the house, so they can yell and scream all they like, but I will not give in to them.  They have to say please if they want anything from me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)