Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Who here has very ENERGETIC kids?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM
  • 63 Replies

Hi Ladies,

Anyone here have very energetic kids that just go go go all day?

Here's the scoop (and why I am asking)..

I have a friend who has no children. She (very annoyingly) keeps saying that our DD must have ADHD because she is always active. This friend wants to be a doctor and so she is always focusing on problems with people (her DH and dad have ADHD) and so sometimes I wonder if she wants to see things that aren't there.

However, I do not want to be that type of mom who ignores something just because I see my DD as someone who is already perfect. I will admit that our 4 year old can be a handful. She was having a hard time listening at swim lessons and gymnastics. She kinda just wants to do her own thing, but she will listen to directions. She just might have to be told twice.

My SO saw something online where if other people wonder if your child has a hearing problem then it could indicate high functioning autism. Our dd's hearing is fine (we had it checked), but her gymnastics teacher and preschool teacher have previously asked us to check her hearing. Although, her preschool teacher asked about dd's hearing over a year ago and hasn't said anything since..so...

I guess I don't think about these things because I was an active when I was a kid and I know that I was a handful. My SO was the same way as a kid.

So, I guess what I am asking you ladies is if you have active kids and if people saw that as a problem? Our DD is due for a well visit checkup in August and I'm sure we'll ask the doctor about all this, but it's weird... I just see our DD's behavior as normal childhood behavior. Am I wrong?

Thoughts? Thanks!

by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
1Angeland3Girls
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:32 AM

My kids are crazy active, they drive me insane, they are non stop, I dont think they have adhd, I think they are just hyper kids

tennisgal
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:47 AM

My 3yo is up at 7am and is still wired when he goes to bed at 8pm. He is nonstop, 100mph ALL day long and it frustrates the crap out of me. It seems no matter how much I let him run around (at the park, on a bike ride, whatever) it never makes a dent. He has two older brothers and although active, they weren't like this. 

Everytime I ask for suggestions or complain about it I always get, "That's just boys for you." I know boys are super active, but I mean this frustrates me sometimes. 

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I was worried about it and i did mention to dd's school about her high energy levels. They are just that though.  She is a very active child and we need to work on more stagnant activities to build her endurance up for those types of activities.   If your dd's other adults suggest checking her hearing, please do it if you havent already.  We have a few puzzles to work on our dd's stay still endurance.

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Yup. That's our DD too. From 7pm until bedtime she is intense. She does a lot too. When she was in school she was also doing ballet and swim lessons and then we would go to the park and on walks almost every night. Nothing wears her down.

What bothers me is that people look at all this activity and think she has some sort of disorder =/

Quoting tennisgal:

My 3yo is up at 7am and is still wired when he goes to bed at 8pm. He is nonstop, 100mph ALL day long and it frustrates the crap out of me. It seems no matter how much I let him run around (at the park, on a bike ride, whatever) it never makes a dent. He has two older brothers and although active, they weren't like this. 

Everytime I ask for suggestions or complain about it I always get, "That's just boys for you." I know boys are super active, but I mean this frustrates me sometimes. 

Matriarch87
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:00 AM
Myo son is psycho and its normal, I love him to pieces. It when YOU think something is wrong that there may be...moms sense things, just dont ignore it if you do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tennisgal
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Yes and I just roll my eyes at this. He's 3 (or 4 in your case). I think that's a silly suggestion for such a young age, but I think all the recent media on ADD/ADHD/autism/etc has made it sound like every child is just waiting for a diagnosis of some sort. 

Quoting ballerina18:

Yup. That's our DD too. From 7pm until bedtime she is intense. She does a lot too. When she was in school she was also doing ballet and swim lessons and then we would go to the park and on walks almost every night. Nothing wears her down.

What bothers me is that people look at all this activity and think she has some sort of disorder =/

Quoting tennisgal:

Jennifer508
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:04 AM
We have 2 boys 15 and 13 and our daughter is 4. She is nonstop all day but my boys weren't as busy as she is. Our doctor recommended that we give her 3 mg of meltonin at night before bed. She sleeps great all night and she seems to be calming down some. Hope this helps;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:05 AM
This, I have 3. 11, 9 & 6. They're always on the go, get bored easily, don't always follow directions. I think they're just active. They get good grades in school, have lots of friends, and are healthy.

Hell, even if she does have add or ADHD I'd wait to test until she's school age unless you think there's a problem

Quoting 1Angeland3Girls:

My kids are crazy active, they drive me insane, they are non stop, I dont think they have adhd, I think they are just hyper kids

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikitice
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:07 AM

My son is like a caged animal inside the house...drives me crazy. My brother was the same way. If a Dr. hasn't said anything, tell her to go away! Have a child before you speak on mine!

Temecula_Mama
by on Jul. 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM
Been there!!!
Ds is ADHD and ODD. Almost a year after the disaster that was him starting kindergarten (we made it a month) and starting medications along with behavior therapy he is a complete 180 :). He has his moments but I usually get on his level and tell him what he did wrong.

Quoting ballerina18:

Hi Ladies,

Anyone here have very energetic kids that just go go go all day?

Here's the scoop (and why I am asking)..

I have a friend who has no children. She (very annoyingly) keeps saying that our DD must have ADHD because she is always active. This friend wants to be a doctor and so she is always focusing on problems with people (her DH and dad have ADHD) and so sometimes I wonder if she wants to see things that aren't there.

However, I do not want to be that type of mom who ignores something just because I see my DD as someone who is already perfect. I will admit that our 4 year old can be a handful. She was having a hard time listening at swim lessons and gymnastics. She kinda just wants to do her own thing, but she will listen to directions. She just might have to be told twice.

My SO saw something online where if other people wonder if your child has a hearing problem then it could indicate high functioning autism. Our dd's hearing is fine, but her gymnastics teacher and preschool teacher have previously asked us to check her hearing.

I guess I don't think about these things because I was an active when I was a kid and I know that I was a handful. My SO was the same way as a kid.

So, I guess what I am asking you ladies is if you have active kids and if people saw that as a problem? Our DD is due for a well visit checkup in August and I'm sure we'll ask the doctor about all this, but it's weird... I just see our DD's behavior as normal childhood behavior. Am I wrong?

Thoughts? Thanks!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN