Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Landlords? Tenants? Anyone? *UPDATE* I'm scared now! PLEASE if you have any advice let me know?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM
  • 25 Replies

I'm scared. My landlord sent us an eviction notice, for not paying our rent. Thing is, we've always paid, never missed a month. I'm scared that when we do go, he'll try to pin all the issues there on us. The apartment is in horrible condition, he doesn't fix things. There's pests and electrical issues and a million other things. They were there when we moved in, but it seemed like it was just cosmetic at first. He also sexually assaulted me. The superintendant knows the truth, but he's angry with her for standing up for me. We're trying to move, but does he have any legal standing here?

Small edit: The super is calling the landlord tenant board tomorrow.

UPDATE: The super just emailed me. He shut off the power and water for the whole building. It's totally illegal, but he did it anyways. I'm scared. She warned us to not go back except to get our stuff. I'm calling my casemanager asap in the morning, but I'm scared. This man is dangerous...

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Hannah on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

If you have proof that you've always paid he can't evict you for not paying rent.

Luv.My.Kidz
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM
1 mom liked this

When you go to court, make sure the Super is there with you. Get her subpoenaed! She'll have the records of everything. 

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM
If he's trying to evict for non payment when you have payed, then no as long as you can provide proof that you payed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:41 PM
This. Also I'm not sure what state you live in but tenant in Texas have more rights than landlords do. Also if any of the issues that te apartment had when u moved in if you filed complaints and for repairs an nothing was ever do they can get in trouble as a landlord

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

If you have proof that you've always paid he can't evict you for not paying rent.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I agree with the ladies below. Just make sure you take photos and keep records/reciepts if you ever do need to go to court. Good luck!

Quoting Fields456:

This. Also I'm not sure what state you live in but tenant have more rights than landlords do. Also if any of the issues that te apartment had when u moved in if you filed complaints and for repairs an nothing was ever do they can get in trouble as a landlord

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

GomezMami2908
by on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Why haven't you moved if the apartment sucks and you were assaulted??

.betty.white.
by bilf on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

How did this sexually assaulting incident happen? 

erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Sorry but that is not true in all states at all.  

OP if you have proof you paid your all good.  Did you do the walkthru and take pics when you rented??  If not you could have some serious issues.  NEVER EVER move in until a walkthrough is done that you AND the landlord sign.

Quoting Fields456:

This. Also I'm not sure what state you live in but tenant have more rights than landlords do. Also if any of the issues that te apartment had when u moved in if you filed complaints and for repairs an nothing was ever do they can get in trouble as a landlord

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

kit_manson
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I'm trying to find an apartment to move to. It's not easy, at all. We're on O.W. and pretty much nobody will rent to us even though we have a good reference and can afford it.

Quoting GomezMami2908:

Why haven't you moved if the apartment sucks and you were assaulted??

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM
That's why I said I wasn't sure where se was. I forgot to add I'm in texas

Quoting erinsmom1964:

Sorry but that is not true in all states at all.  

OP if you have proof you paid your all good.  Did you do the walkthru and take pics when you rented??  If not you could have some serious issues.  NEVER EVER move in until a walkthrough is done that you AND the landlord sign.

Quoting Fields456:

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)