Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

one car an excuse for not working?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM
  • 76 Replies

Poll

Question: Is having only one car a valid excuse for not working?

Options:

Yes, it's a reasonable excuse

No, it's not a good excuse

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 110

View Results

Is only having one car a reasonable excuse for not having a job?

My brother and his girlfriend are going to have a baby and are about to not have a place to live.  She has basically had a job handed to her in her lap because of me but she won't even think of taking it because they only have one car. I think that is a cop out. I lived with only one car for a while, and you just find a way to make it work. One drops the other off, or someone takes a cab. You do what you have to do in order to make money and provide for their soon to be baby. Am I wrong in thinking this way? Is this really a valid excuse or is she like I'm thinking just lazy and doesn't want to work?!

FYI_ They would work in the same town, only about 1-2 miles from each other. She would work a basic 8-5, he works retail so his schedule can vary.

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM
I'm not sure. We have 2 cars, so I don't know how hard it would be.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:34 PM
6 moms liked this
Well, there is no other. It depends on the hours, how far apart their jobs would be, can they afford the gas, cab fare and childcare and still have extra money or would they be working just to cover those costs... There are many things to factor into that equation.
PinkyPan
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I find it as an excuse not to work. They could take turns dropping each other off, take a cab, bus or carpool or even walk if the job is close enough.

prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM
It depends on how far away they live , and if their hours would allow one to drop off the other and pick the other up . ... We live 60 miles from everything , dh drives 80 miles to work every day at 5 am any job or school I could do doesn't start or open until 9 ish I would have no were to go for 4 + hours and dh would get off before me and have no way of getting home because I would have the car still . So for us it's a very good reason . But if there hrs ect line up she is just being lazy .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof3jones
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Try not haveing a car... and haveing to walk 3 miles to work... and be 6 months pregnant ..... i have did that its not easy...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlm2676
by Gold Member on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM
In May dh and I went from a one car family to a two car family after three years. Now dh does have a motorcycle that he can ride from about May to mid September depending on weather.
For one of those 3 years I was a SAHM while dh worked two jobs. Then dh got a better job and I went to school at night for another year. Dh got laid off and I went to work full time and school full time. Now dh works semi full time and I work part time and go to school full time.
So no I do not find that a good excuse to not work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stellarmom1
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM

wow 80 miles, I can't imagine!

No they live in a very small town, both jobs are in it and only about a 1-2 miles away from each other.

She would work a basic 8-5, he works retail so it can vary. She won't even try to make it work. She just thinks it won't. It's very frustrating because I have them constantly whining to me about money. I find her a job to help and she won't even try.

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

It depends on how far away they live , and if their hours would allow one to drop off the other and pick the other up . ... We live 60 miles from everything , dh drives 80 miles to work every day at 5 am any job or school I could do doesn't start or open until 9 ish I would have no were to go for 4 + hours and dh would get off before me and have no way of getting home because I would have the car still . So for us it's a very good reason . But if there hrs ect line up she is just being lazy .

aPr1L2o1o
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That is so a lazy cop out.  We had only one car for awhile and also, no car when it broke down.  We carpooled, took the bus, biked, walked.  We did whatever we could to get to work.  There are public transportation for those who don't have cars.  Cars are priviledges not necessities!  We take it for granted that we can just go out and buy a car.  I've been to countries where having a car is a luxury only the rich can afford.  Most of the people walked.  I used to ride the bus and walk to work (because I didn't know how to ride a bike yet).  So I've been there and done that. 

stellarmom1
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I feel like if she wants it to work bad enough they can make it work. She doesn't even seem to want to try to work.

Quoting PinkyPan:

I find it as an excuse not to work. They could take turns dropping each other off, take a cab, bus or carpool or even walk if the job is close enough.

JsMommy1003
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Ive lived with only having one car before and You find ways around it. shes just using it as an excuse.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN