Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So would anyone actually buy this? (ANYONE live in WA state?)

Posted by   + Show Post

So im curious. I have now added Deodorants to my homemade collection of things I sell. Now i got all the supplies I needed to make them and then broke down what it would cost to sell them. They are 2oz bottles and are made of ALL Natural. They contain NO Aluminum which is very bad for your skin as well as the earth. It is great because it also has a melting point of 120 degrees! So it wont melt in the heat. What im wondering is would you pay a little more for a product like this? I would have to sell it at $6 to double what it cost to make but im going to sell for $5. Thoughts?

So if I were to make up samples would anyone try them if they came in a lip balm container LOL i have a million of them and would offer samples in that type of size and bottle. Or is that to weird?

Update!

Ok so made a 2nd batch and made it in Cucumber Melon scent. Smells Amazing! I have heard from others that no matter how much scent they add it soaks it up and smells of nothing so figured id try it and it worked! So i could make this in anything from cotton candy to ameretto! 

Does anyone here that is interested in this deodorant live in WA state? I went and spent over an hour in the hot sun cleaning up the tree that fell in the storm so hot and sweaty then went for 2 hours at my moms(about 80 degrees outside) and she was hardcore cleaning and had a fire going in her house to get all the trash gone. i helped her clean for 2 hours dumping sweat and i still smell like cucumer melon! I NEED people to try this product! I cant afford shipping right now so i want to offer this to anyone in WA state? so i can get a few reviews. I dont have friends in real life and Even if i did my fans would think i made them say nice things! which i would never do!

by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
kit_manson
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Lol, I'm Canadian. I have no idea how much a gallon is, and I don't drive x) It may be $2 shipping, btu then we're talking a $7 thing of deodorant, which is a little ridiculous considering if you could make it, I could make it. I'd suggest only doing local things, making the containers bigger or finding some sort of gimmick.

Quoting C8linVilla:

ok 45 grams is 1.587 ounces. so mine is not much bigger. Yes its before shipping And im only asking $5 But i get a lot of people who make things tell me in order to survive i HAVE to charge double. I dont think i charge double for any of my products at all. I feel the prices are to high. But when you count the time i put into everything and to ship it i guess i see why people double. I totally understand where you are coming from! ro each their own right. Thanks for your opinion and imput. I wish I didnt have to charge shipping but I cant afford not to. But it would only be $2 for shipping so i guess its less then a gallon of gas. but most people dont go to the storefor only deodorant lol

Quoting kit_manson:

No idea. It's 45 grams. I put on a regular amount, adn i do it once a day in the winter and 2 or more times in summer, just in case. Also would the $5 be before or after shipping? Honestly I think asking nearly 200% of your production costs is a little steep,and if it's plu shipping...? I wouldn't want to pay that much when I can get a perfectly good one for $3 at shoppers drug mart.

Quoting C8linVilla:

I put a question mark on the end of that. I honestly dont know how long it will last. This is my first batch making and I think it would depend on the person. How much do you put on and how many times a day. How many ounces is yours? things like that factor into how long it would last. But i wanted honest so thank you.  and I can scent mine and I can sent it was vanilla lace and lavender vanilla so you could still get your scent. 

Quoting kit_manson:

Honestly no, not for 2-3 weeks. If it lasted as long as my normal ones, yes. But mine smells like vanilla and lasts around 2-4 months depending on season.

Quoting C8linVilla:

What do you mean how long will it last? As in shelf life? Or using it? shelf life about 2 months but I assume if you use it every day it would last 2-3 weeks?

Quoting thehickinhickor:

how long would they last ? i saw 5 sounds good i love home made stuff....

The first rock thrown again,
Welcome to Hell, Little Saint

Mother Gaia in slaughter,
Welcome to Paradise, Soldier

Mom2Addison12
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:38 AM

nope, what i buy is cheaper.

nysa76
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe add shipping cost into the price of the product?  Then no one is seeing the $5 and then get the extra $2 bill when purchasing?  $5 isn't too harsh but for me $7 would be, which would be my actual cost here.

C8linVilla
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Quoting nysa76:

Maybe add shipping cost into the price of the product?  Then no one is seeing the $5 and then get the extra $2 bill when purchasing?  $5 isn't too harsh but for me $7 would be, which would be my actual cost here.

Makes sence. Thanks for the imput. I also make lip balms, soaps, candles and lotion So i think if someone were to order a set or more things then the shipping would be worth it. And that is why I do not add the shipping.

Uhura
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:44 AM

I wouldn't pay for it because I have extremely sensitive skin and finding things that work without breaking me into hives is damn near impossible.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Jul. 13, 2012 at 2:54 AM
I have been wanting to make some natural deodorant. I even have a recipe just haven't had time ( I have way to many crafts lined up for my store lol). I think your pricing is great however like another mom said you should offer small samples either for free or for like a dollar( you know like the travel size ones. I'm about to start making natural soaps to sell and I am going to offer either paper soap samples or small sliver samples so my family friends and customers can try it out. Good luck I hope you do great, Do you have a website or online store would love to check your products out. Pm me if you do
mizhoward
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Would have to try it out first.

psychobilly_mom
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 6:01 AM

I would pay $7 ... only if it smelled like coconut :D 

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2012 at 6:14 AM
If you were local, I would try it and see. I swear a lot and have sensitive skin. Dove clinical has been a lifesaver. I would a bunch of homemade soap at a craft sale and it was well worth the price!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovesPeanut
by on Jul. 13, 2012 at 6:18 AM
I use clinical strength stuff, so it would be cool to see homemade stuff work as good as secret's does for me. I am sure for a "normal" person, it would be fantastic! I would do samples for family and friends first and try to pitch it to them first then branch out from there.

Like that old saying- gotta spend money to make money :-) goodluck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN