Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How do you brush your toddlers teeth?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM
  • 19 Replies

I tried a regular brush...he spits the toothpaste out and fingerbrushes get me bitten..and he bites hard...lol. How do you moms do it? He is 18 months.

by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicsmama09
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:29 AM
I use floride free paste.. Let him brush his own and then I brush them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eesmommy
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM
In the baby section, they have this soft rubbery tooth gum massager thingy, dd and ds both loooooooved them, I would just rinse it, hand it to them and let them go to town.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jteffs
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:37 AM

I use the kids toothbrush w/kids toothpaste. She LOVES it and once I'm done she "brushes" by herself.

cassiekitty7
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I give her the toothbrush and she does it herself.  I started as soon as she got her first tooth.  Both of my kids.  One is 3 years and the other is 19 months.  My 3 year old completely does it herself with regular toothpaste - she spits and rinses.  My 19month old just does it herself and does a good job. 

MaryLu86
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:47 AM
This is what I did with both of my older kids.. my 13 month old isn't old enough yet but he let's me brush them..

Quoting jteffs:

I use the kids toothbrush w/kids toothpaste. She LOVES it and once I'm done she "brushes" by herself.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I use a small toothbrush that fits their teeth and kids toothpaste. I brush them first and then allow them to brush.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaloWithHorns78
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:05 PM
I hold him down while he screams bloody murder. He hates having his teeth brushed. I have a kid sized tooth brush for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM

A wet corner of one of those little thin baby washcloths over your finger will also work.  You don't really even need toothpaste if you think that may be what's bothering him.  You can always do it while he's sleeping or let him sit in the living room and watch tv or have some other distraction.

My little guy had 3 and 1/2 teeth at 3 months and everything but his 2 year molars by 11 months.  We had to be creative with the tooth cleaning. 

Sunshine257
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:06 PM
I tell him say ahhhhhh and hold my mouth open then brush his teeth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scarlettsam
by on Jul. 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM
This...my 21 month lets me brush them and then I just hand him the brush...lol...he mostly just chews on it but it gets him to atleast try.

Quoting ladyraven16:

I use a small toothbrush that fits their teeth and kids toothpaste. I brush them first and then allow them to brush.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN