Okay. I may or may not get bashed for this, but I am not necessarily asking for drama. I have a few questions.
In June, I adopted a puppy from the Humane Society for my son as an early bday gift. We had the puppy for 5 days so a whole weekday week. The problem was my son ended up having an allergy to her.
She was noted as a rotti crossed with a chihuahua. Yeah, not kidding. Father was the Chi, mom was a rotti/doberman.
This is her: (sorry the pictures are sideways, I took them on my iphone)
She licked my DS on the face and instantaneously he broke out in hives the Thursday night. He was fine prior to those days. Because she was only a month old, she slept with us in the room upstairs all week.
I ended up getting my whole refund back because I was able to prove with pictures I took of my DS.
My son has a scheduled appointment with the pediatric allergist on Aug. 3rd to see if he is indeed allergic, even though the reaction was most certainly more than coincidence.
My questions are, if he was fine with the puppy up until the evening before we took her back, was it a build up in his immune system?
He was so distraught after we returned the puppy. His behavior was extremely aggressive at his daycare the next week then went back to normal.
A lot of people said to look into hypoallergenic dogs, other people said he might be okay with any dog breed as long as it isn't a mixed breed like our Venus was. I'm not sure who to believe atm because the allergist is still quite a ways a way.
Is it mean for me to want to get a puppy for him if we find out his allergy is not life threatening?
I am thinking about calling Health Links to talk to an allergist because I would actually like to have a dog in the home. My son whines all the time because we are pretty much the only home in our neighborhood that doesn't have a dog LOL.
Ngi ne themba - I have hope.