Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

American Baby Names Getting Worse

Posted by   + Show Post

Find the original article here:  http://deadspin.com/5924827/american-baby-names-are-somehow-getting-even-worse

by on Jul. 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Replies (21-30):
SevysMomma
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I actually like most of those names. I prefer to give my child a unique name, that little to no other children are named. I am not trying to raise another Matthew or Katie - thanks - I'll keep it original.

alissailly
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

People get really offended if your trying to help them too.

staffordmommy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM
I have a Kagan, Paisley, and Reid.

They're not everyday names I guess but, they're not crazy nutjob names either!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HeartsCombined
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM
Hilarious! But it's definitely missing my most hated, most ridiculous (IMO) name!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer508
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM
My oldest son is Mark my youngest son is Lance and my daughter is Kara and they are the only ones in their whole school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SevysMomma
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this

That's really not the point. I didn't birth a child to give him/her a name (which IS really important and one of the biggest decisions you make, IMO) copycat-ing every other child in the world. I want my child to be his own self. And yes, this starts with a name. I can't deny there are powerful people with common names - but that is simply because most people stick with common names. I'm not afraid to push boundaries, I have many unique/uncommon names I love and many I have made up myself. I grew up a Brittani. It's always been an odd spelling but the name itself has always bothered me. I'm just one of 500 million Brittany's. Yay.

Quoting i.heart.nerds:

Quoting SevysMomma:

I actually like most of those names. I prefer to give my child a unique name, that little to no other children are named. I am not trying to raise another Matthew or Katie - thanks - I'll keep it original.

A name doesn't make a child original, only his personality and presence can do that. Some of the most dynamic people have the most common names.
I would take a Katie Couric or Matthew Broderic over a Pilot Inspector any day of the week.

mommaofive
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM
My sister named her daughter Emotion Savion....I cannot help but call her Emo or start singing Aerosmith whenever I see her 🎤Sweeeeeeeet emooooootioooon🎤
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twicethemomjess
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM
what's everyone think about "Nash"?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bhmomma
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM
1 mom liked this
This is hilarious! My most hated isn't on there though. I feel so bad for all the poor Nevaeh's.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMR320
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM
Glad I named my girls normal, average names!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)