Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Need advice from dog owners

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM
  • 13 Replies

Now most of you know I have two small dogs. For a while they were both potty trained, they have always done so well not going inside the house.
My smaller dog is great, the ONLY time she ever goes inside is if I am not home and no one lets her out to go.  When I am home I put the dogs out every hour to an hour and a half because I do not want accidents. If they are in the crate while I am gone they don't go, and they are put outside as soon as they are let out of the crate.
My problem is my older dog. He has been refusing to go outside if the grass gets even a tiny bit long. He will sit at the back door and bark and whine and cry the whole time and if I sit out there with them he will sit on the porch with me and I have to constantly run him back down the steps into the yard.
He does NOT like being outside at all, I have no idea why. Lately with it being hot outside we have been keeping the back door open. I will still go and make the dogs go out into the yard and stand there to make sure they don't come back in until they have gone, which for the little one she would stay outside all day if I let her.
Today though I had put the dogs outside, let them stay out for an hour and brought them back in but leaving the door open because its hot. I went outside to clean my car and vacuum it. I come back in and put the vacuum away and found that Sausage(older dog) had pooped in the back living room near the back door. I was angry, the door was open, he was only a few feet from it and he pooped IN my living room on my floor. So I put him outside and shut the door.
I am half tempted to put the leash on him 24/7 and literally follow him around the house. Which that last part really is hard to do considering I have other things I have to get done around here so the leash is my only other option. I have also noticed that he has been peeing on EVERYTHING and marking everything. For the first time EVER he peed in my daughters room, he has never ever ever gone in there to pee or poop or anything else.

I just don't know what to do, I can stand outside with him for an hour and he does nothing. I can take him for a walk and he wont go especially if any of the grass is just a little longer than normal or if the ground is wet.
I am so tired of cleaning up piles of poop everywhere.
So I need advice, options, things I can try to re-train him. What might be going on with him to do this?
Now I know my cat has a tendency if he is mad at me for any reason will pee in corners of rooms. I have cleaned up every time, I can't stand the smell of it and I try to use anything that will take the smell away. But would that be a reason why my dog is marking INSIDE all fo a sudden?

I just need advice please to help my dog be broken of this.

Oh and I have tried the pads, for some crazy reason he HATES them. He will stay far away from them or tear them up.

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FooLynRoo
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Some dogs are picky about grass - my advice - keep it short - or put turf into an area so it will always be low for him.

You should tether a dog who is breaking his house training - once instance sets you back.

As for marking - is he neutered? if not do so.

Also make sure you are cleaning all his areas of mistakes with a pet enzyme cleaner vinegar will NOT fix it.

Also get him to a vet to eliminate any  health issues.

ProudMom9799
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:11 PM

bump

FooLynRoo
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:12 PM

also take special care in warm months about where your dogs have to walk - they CAN burn their pads, so any hot concret, asphalt, wood - NO MAS

Jinxiewolf
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:21 PM

First, I would suggest a visit to your veterinarian just to make sure there isn't a medical cause for his behaviours. If he's an older dog, maybe he's experiencing issues that make pottying difficult.

Second, has anything changed in your household lately to make him feel he needs to stake his ground. If he's male (I assume he is) another male presence may make him feel the need to mark. Even if the change was a temporary or one time thing, it may still affect him. Has another dog moved into the neighbourhood? Or has a stray been coming on to your property?

As for getting him to go outside, take him out the door he uses for bathrooming, and the moment he is outside (even before he does his thing) praise him. Use a positive tone, and if you can, give a small treat. (In fact, I'd suggest keeping many very small, but tasty treats on your person for a while. Small, so you don't overfeed.) He will eventually come to associate good things with going out of the door, and if you praise and treat when he steps into the grass, this too will become a positive experience. And of course, praise and treat if you see him go.

Just do anything you can to make the dreaded yard a GOOD place :)

Hope this helps.

JSVDP
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM

We have only been going to parks, mostly grass. I cant change the grass and I mow the back yard often anyway because I have to keep the area low because of the pool that I clean out once a week as well.
He has no other health issues thus far, everything seems healthy. We do plan on getting him fixed this fall.

My rule though is if my kids complain about walking on the cement barefoot then my dogs wont go out there either.
but I am thinking the tethering is going to have to be what I need to do for now. I just can't have him pooping all over the house. I have also blocked off the bedrooms so he can't get in them. It never used to be a problem until recently.

elephantmamaof2
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:26 PM
Is he up to date on worm medication? Sometimes when does get worms they develop a grass aversion! Good luck mama!!
DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

We had a little poodle before and he would always go outside and then come in and go inside too. The dog we have had for over three years has never gone in the house, so I don't know what makes dogs do different things

cassiekitty7
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 5:39 PM

how old is the older dog?

JSVDP
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:50 PM

He will be 2 in August. He is a year older than our smaller dog. they are both small dogs he is just the bigger of the two.

Quoting cassiekitty7:

how old is the older dog?

JSVDP
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah he has had his worming meds. He has always had a weird issue with grass though, just not been this bad with not going outside when he is supposed to. He has gone inside a time or two if I am not home and the kids or DH doesn't let them out often enough but that was not a lot at all.

Quoting elephantmamaof2:

Is he up to date on worm medication? Sometimes when does get worms they develop a grass aversion! Good luck mama!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN