Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Nursing question?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM
  • 10 Replies

I don't know why but I was thinking about this;

If I got food poisoning, or salmanella or something, could my nursing baby get it? 

Also, if I eat peanut butter and then nurse, and she doesn't have a reaction, does that mean she's not allergic or does it not mean anything because it's not direct?

...Sorry if these are stupid questions. I was just thinking.

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christyg
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I know that peanut butter is fine, but I have no idea about the food poisoning .... that's a good question. I'm pretty sure that it would NOT pass through your breast milk though.

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:44 PM

thanks =]

Quoting christyg:

I know that peanut butter is fine, but I have no idea about the food poisoning .... that's a good question. I'm pretty sure that it would NOT pass through your breast milk though.

marinenonstop
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:47 PM
Do you have a history of peanut allergy in your family?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

nope. i ate it all through my pregnancy and i've had a bunch since she was born (peanut butter toast is my life saver) and she's never had the slightest reaction or change so I was wondering if it meant she was good or if when she starts eating food I still have to be careful when she has it for the first time...but no PB allergies in my immediate family.

Quoting marinenonstop:

ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:56 PM
The thing with any kind of illness is, she's already being exposed just by living in your house. So you NEED to nurse because it will pass on the antibodies to that illness and protect her. As for the peanut butter, if she doesn't react, that's a VERY good sign. She WILL get the protein through your milk and it IS enough to cause a reaction if she IS allergic.
Sadly, though, you won't be exposing her to enough to TRULY test the theory until she eats peanuts directly. Once she hits six months old, you should be able to feed her tastes of anything. The exception is if there's a family history of allergies. She's better at that age with ground peanuts as a breading on fish or whatever, straight peanut butter is a choking hazard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsix
by faith on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:57 PM

The food poisoning I'd ask a pharmacist or your doctor...though I did get food poisoning once while nursing(my nurseling at the time was two yrs) and didn't have any problem.

DixieL
by Dixie on Jul. 18, 2012 at 6:59 PM

I think that you should ask your doctor about those questions or call poison controll

Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

awesome thanks =]

Quoting ShadowLark:

The thing with any kind of illness is, she's already being exposed just by living in your house. So you NEED to nurse because it will pass on the antibodies to that illness and protect her. As for the peanut butter, if she doesn't react, that's a VERY good sign. She WILL get the protein through your milk and it IS enough to cause a reaction if she IS allergic.
Sadly, though, you won't be exposing her to enough to TRULY test the theory until she eats peanuts directly. Once she hits six months old, you should be able to feed her tastes of anything. The exception is if there's a family history of allergies. She's better at that age with ground peanuts as a breading on fish or whatever, straight peanut butter is a choking hazard.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Definitely talk to your doctor but I think neither would affect your breastmilk illness wise.  The PB has a bit of protein in the breast milk but the body metabolizes it so it is safe for babies unlike the whole food version on toast or crackers.

marinenonstop
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 7:08 PM
Allergies always change or can show up later in life. I wouldn't say she's "safe" but its a good sign if she hasn't had a reaction.

Quoting Mrs.Brugger:

nope. i ate it all through my pregnancy and i've had a bunch since she was born (peanut butter toast is my life saver) and she's never had the slightest reaction or change so I was wondering if it meant she was good or if when she starts eating food I still have to be careful when she has it for the first time...but no PB allergies in my immediate family.

Quoting marinenonstop:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN