Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Ask a Muslimah, Ramadan has started!!! Update with pictures and recipes to be added :)

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM
  • 299 Replies
12 moms liked this

Because I know one of the first questions will be "What is Ramadan" :)

Update- Day 1 of Ramadan! If you ladies had any idea how busy I have been the last 24 hours you would be exhausted with me! This morning DH had his final interview to become a US Citizen, he passed! WOO HOO! Although he forgot to wear his wedding ring and forgot our wedding anniversary when being asked questions to determine the validity of our marriage. Apparently the shock and shame on his face of being such a guy the woman took pity on him LOL however she did joke as she walked him out that she was going to spill the beans he forgot our anniversary to me. I was wondering what she was chuckling about when she was waving to me and DH looked so uh-oh for! We go back on the 27thand he will take the Oath of Allegiance and thus will have completed the process and be a US Citizen. We had a last minute dash to get all the paperwork in order which required me to go to the IRS office yesterday, o.m.g. you just don't know everything with that. Basically I am bad at directions and can't find my way out of a paper bag without GPS and even withGPS the ordeal took my parents giving my directions using Google Street View, asking for directions from two police officers a postal carrier and walking a mile in 90+ heat only to discover I could have parked directly across the street. THEN after that having DH show up at the IRS office about 5 minutes after I had gotten there so he could pick up the tax transcripts so I wouldn't have to. Obviously we didn't communicate on the issue so we were bothshocked that the other was there. Yeah not fun. Then there was today getting to the interview, walking in the heat, grocery shopping, and running a bunch of last minute errands to complete the Ramadan prep that I am now late for because everything has been so cahotic. And now DS just crawled up to me with a grossed out look on his face telling me he has a poopy diaper *sniff*sniff* yeah its a poopy diaper. Ah the joys of motherhood! LOL.

Update  7-25-12                   

So it been a few days and ladies are still asking questions in the post and also PMing me questions because they are too shy to ask them. Which again is totally fine. :) So I figure I will update this post through Ramadan as well as Eid add some step by step Arab recipes with pictures so if your feeling adventurous you can try them at home, as well as take some pictures when we go to the Eid prayer and celebrations. So tonight is Arab food night. I have yet to start cooking. DH gets home until 9:30pm so I figure I will start at 8. On the menu- goat served over turmeric rice, stuffed grape leaves, and corn on the cob. Corn on the cob isn't a very Arab thing, I am just having a massive pregnancy craving for it :) Desert hasn't been figured out yet. I am thinking I am going to make a quick cobbler either peach or cherry. Yes, I will make baklava and take pictures I just couldn't find all the ingredients for it today.

Sawm: Fasting the Month of Ramadhan

Sawm(Fasting the Month of Ramadhan)

The fourth pillar of Islam is fasting. Allah prescribes daily fasting for all able, adult Muslims during the whole of the month of Ramadan, the ninth month of the lunar calendar, beginning with the sighting of the new moon.

Exempted from the fast are the very old and the insane. On the physicalside, fasting is from first light of dawn until sundown, abstaining from food, drink, and sexualrelations. On the moral, behavioralside, one must abstain from lying, malicious gossip, quarreling and trivial nonsense.

Those who are sick, elderly, or on a journey, and women who are menstruating, pregnant, or nursing are permitted to break the fast, but must make up an equal number of days later in the year. If physically unable to do so, they must feed a needy person for each day missed. Children begin to fast (and to observe the prayers) from puberty, although many start earlier.

Although fasting is beneficial to the health, it is regarded principally as a method of self-purification. By cutting oneself off from worldly pleasures and comforts, even for a short time, the fasting person gains true sympathy for those who go hungry regularly, and achieves growth in his spiritual life, learning discipline, self-restraint, patience and flexibility.

In addition to the fast proper, one is encouraged to read the entire Qur'an. In addition, special prayers, called Tarawih, are held in the mosque every night of the month, during which a whole section of the Qur'an(Juz') is recited, so that by the end of the month the entire Qur'an has been completed. These are done in remembrance of the fact that the revelation of the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) was begun during Ramadan.

During the last ten days - though the exact day is never known and may not even be the same every year - occurs the Night of Power (Laylat al-Qadr). To spend that night in worship is equivalent to a thousand months of worship, i.e. Allah's reward for it is very great.

On the first day of the following month, after another new moon has been sighted, a special celebration is made, called 'Id al-Fitr. A quantity of staple food is donated to the poor (Zakat al-Fitr), everyone has bathed and put on their best, preferably new, clothes, and communal prayers are held in the early morning, followed by feasting and visiting relatives and friends.

There are other fast days throughout the year. Muslims are encouraged to fast six days in Shawwal, the monthfollowingRamadan, Mondays and Thursdays, and the ninth and tenth, or tenth and eleventh of Muharram, the first month of the year. The tenth day, called Ashurah, is also a fast day for the Jews (Yom Kippur), and Allah commanded the Muslims to fast two days to distinguish themselves from the People of the Book.

While fasting per seis encouraged, constant fasting, as well as monasticism, celibacy, and otherwise retreating from the realworld, are condemned in Islam. Fasting on the two festival days, 'Id al-Fitr and 'Id al-Adha, the feast of the Hajj, is strictly forbidden.

by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaiahbellamom
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:04 PM
What is Islam view on abortion?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
egyptian_mommy
by Michelle on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Ramadan mubarak. :-)

jadsmummy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:14 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting isaiahbellamom:

What is Islam view on abortion?

Excellent question. Abortion to save the life of the mother is allowable, so if she would die its allowable to abort and it should be done as soon as possible before the baby attains human form. Past that stage every effort should be made to save both mother and child but if its a life or death situation for the mother its acceptable to abort but say its closer to viability don't abort deliver early to save the life of the mother and give every chance to the child. Elective abortions not allowable. Birth control to space children allowable, permanent sterilization not allowable.

jadsmummy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Quoting egyptian_mommy:

Ramadan mubarak. :-)

Ramadan Mubarak!

jadsmummy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:22 PM

bump

Mamacruz13
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Oh! Thank you for the reminder! I have been wanting to participate in Ramadan for a few years now since I had the pleasure of working with an awesome Muslim woman.

However, would that be considered disrespectful? I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to take the time to learn about and experience a religion different than my own.

jadsmummy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mamacruz13:

Oh! Thank you for the reminder! I have been wanting to participate in Ramadan for a few years now since I had the pleasure of working with an awesome Muslim woman.

However, would that be considered disrespectful? I don't want to offend anyone, I just want to take the time to learn about and experience a religion different than my own.

TOTALLY, ABSOLUTLY, IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM disrespectful. In fact is quite flattering and nice to hear that you want to try to fast also. Fasting is an amazing experience. Its not just the not eating and reflecting on the blessings in your life its also the acts of kindness and charity you do. So, if you want to fast GO FOR IT! :) Tips, support, let me know your local CM Muslimah is here to help.

jmetz4
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Ive thought of it too. My brother dated a woman from pakistan and listening to her talk about it was pretty cool. My brother participated while they were together and i know he enjoyed the experience.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting Mamacruz13:

TOTALLY, ABSOLUTLY, IN NO WAY SHAPE OR FORM disrespectful. In fact is quite flattering and nice to hear that you want to try to fast also. Fasting is an amazing experience. Its not just the not eating and reflecting on the blessings in your life its also the acts of kindness and charity you do. So, if you want to fast GO FOR IT! :) Tips, support, let me know your local CM Muslimah is here to help.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jadsmummy
by on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM

If you ladies want to try it for a day or two or even the month let me know and I can help you find out the exact time when fasting starts and stops for your area. It is a challenge, but it is so rewarding I love Ramadan! Unfortunately I am not able to fast this year *sniffle*sniffle*

Quoting jmetz4:

Ive thought of it too. My brother dated a woman from pakistan and listening to her talk about it was pretty cool. My brother participated while they were together and i know he enjoyed the experience.

Quoting jadsmummy:

Quoting Mamacruz13:

LectioDivina
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you believe any sort of savior, or Final prophet, or any sort of human figure like that is going to be born?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)