Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How Joanna Is Making Her Body a Place Where Cancer Doesn't Want to Be

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this

After she was diagnosed with cancer, one of the first things Joanna did was change how she was eating. And with the help of an organic-oriented personal chef - generously funded by friends and coworkers in lieu of bringing homemade meals directly to the family - Joanna is now fueling her body with the most nutritious, cancer-fighting foods available.

Watch to learn why some foods are bad (bye-bye caffeine, sugar and dairy) and others are helpful (tons of organic produce).

Have you ever changed your diet to help your body fight (or prevent) disease or illness?

If you liked this video, subscribe to CafeMom Studios for more...
Powered by CafeMom Studios

by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TexasWife
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM

That soup sounds fantastic. I have never had cold soup.

FindersKeepers
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

That was really moving... I went to YouTube to see Episode 1 also.    I wish her the best health.   

Thank you for the great idea.   Sadly one of my dear friend's lost her husband after a 4 year battle with cancer.   He was only 38 and they had two little kids.   She had people bring food or volunteer to come over to cook, a donation to a personal chef might have been the best solution for them.   God forbid I ever know someone in a similar predicament, I would recommend that first. 

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Such a great episode :) I myself have been cutting out many toxic foods from mine and my families diet and trying to rid our bodies of all the junk lately. This is such an awesome thing shes doing for herself. I hope she beats this!!!

BaBeezandMe
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 3:32 PM

PRAYERS UP!

Mena929
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Many many prayers for this mama. She is an inspiration.

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Praying <3

Ashmom614
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM
Amazing. I've been doing a lot of research lately about hoe you can change your body through nutrition to heal cancer. Glad something like this was posted
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bitterroot
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:36 PM

When my mother had breast cancer and subsequent treatment and mastectomy, her doctor told her to stay away from any food items with estrogen, as cancer LOVES to feed off of estrogen.

Keep in mind the difference between isoflavones and lignans, with isoflavones being plant estrogens that stimulate estrogens receptors yielding an estrogenic effect and lignans being weak estrogens that attach to estrogen receptors and block the action of the estrogens trying to stimulate them.

Therefore, the use of high lignan foods - especially those rich in glutamate (e.g. flax) - should be carefully thought out when formulating the ultimate diet for the epileptic or the patient who is suffering from an excitotoxin-related disorders as we know that estrogens are inflammatory and sensitize neurons to the action of glutamate (e.g. catamenial seizures, PMS).
The logical choice of estrogen-blocking lignans for those suffering from an excitotoxin-related disorder (e.g. epilepsy) would be the fruits and vegetables listed below rather than the glutamate-rich grains, such as flax and millet. If the control of an estrogen-related disorder (breast cancer, PCOS, endometriosis) is the primary objective and the excitotoxins (glutamate and aspartate) are not a concern, then flax is a good choice.

I posted the chart below mainly to help people see that the main "trouble foods" - gluten grains (wheat, barley), dairy products, and soy - are all in the estrogen-rich list, with soy and dairy products being the principal sources of isoflavones.
Here are two articles that discuss the isoflavone content of foods:
As you read more about what researchers are finding concerning the difference between lignans and isoflavones, you will see the war that is going on in our bodies between good and bad estrogens, paralleling the one raging between good and bad lectins.
Bitterroot
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I have also heard that Gerson works great for cancer patients because they, too, use foods to heal...

The Gerson Institute

Green and Carrot juices

The Gerson Institute is a non-profit organization in San Diego, California, dedicated to providing education and training in the Gerson Therapy, an alternative, non-toxic treatment for cancer and other chronic degenerative diseases.

http://gerson.org/gerpress/

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Jul. 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM
Praying for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN