Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Let's talk backpacks...

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
  • 256 Replies
My oldest starts kindergarten this year. We got her school supply list and it's shockingly small! So, I'm debating on whether we should go for the gusto and spend decent money on a backpack and hope it lasts (I hear Land's End ones last for a while) or if we should go with an inexpensive one from Target or wherever.

I'm a newbie at this, so any advice is welcome and appreciated!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
happymommy1105
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
6 moms liked this
I got one for $4 from target cause I know he is gonna drag it on the ground, throw it, etc.

Not.worth the money to me yet to spend $$ on a good backpack.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kaelaasmom
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
I bought my daughter a $10 backpack at the start of 1st grade. She is going into 4th grade and it is still in perfect shape.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Amber1208
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would go for a Target type back. If you are meaning will it last for a couple years, she will want a new one if you can afford it because her interests will change most likely. Ds got a Cars bag for pre k last year and this year he would like a superhero one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
I got dd hers at the Disney store (they have them on sale for $15. She loves Rapunzel. I just went with what her interests are. Chances are she will want something else next year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Amanda
by Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
5 moms liked this

I personally love Land's End and they guarantee their products - any issues (parts break, they wear out) and you can return them without a hassle. Their bags are great! Sign up for their sale emails - often they do good discounts and free shipping, or you can shop in-store at Sears.

Buggy979
by Danette on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
3 moms liked this
Do not buy one they can use next year... Let her pick one out for this year... The older they get the more you will be able to buy one they can use two yrs in a row...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HannahLee87
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:25 PM
7 moms liked this
I had a jansport with a lifetime warranty all the way through school! When it broke we sent it in and they fixed/replaced it! Now both my kids have jansports and I intend on doing the same thing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

go with the cheapone. My sons got 2 to 3 years out of a reg backpack  Usually I got  the jansport brand.

kjsaes
by on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Got one from target for my dd last year for kindergarten. It lasted the whole year it had a few small holes on the bottom by the end of the year but nothing that caused problems. I don't see spending a lot of money on a back pack until they are old enough that having to carry books home from school. All that was ever sent home was a folder with papers and a library book.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2012 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I am one who gets them a new one every year. My dh doesn't understand it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)