Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

So my Dh is worried cause our 15 month old wont look him in the eyes.

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM
  • 21 Replies
So I told him id ask cm!

She looks me in the eyes but not always, she just likes to be goofy and shake her head at me and say no. She talks pretty well, babbles, but can say 15 basic words, walks/kinda runs, heck she can even "try to find the vein" on her arm (I'm a phlebotomist). She still is more "babyish" than "toddlerish"...we have an almost 3 year old who at this age was more toddlerish, slept in a big girl bed, could communicate a little more, just seemed more mature than my younger dd does right now.

I told him *I* think its cause 1. I kinda baby her, when she cries I hold her, ect. 2. I don't get as much 1 on 1 time as I did with my oldest, I do my best to get at least 2 hours 1 on 1 a day, about every other day my oldest will ask to "play in her room without baby" so I let her and I get extra 1 on 1 time. 3. This is crazy but some lady told me spring babies mature slower than fall babies? Idk about all that but eh.

But it freaks him out. So what do you ladies think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
christyg
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I would keep a close eye on her. She should be turning to look at you when you call her name, even if its not directly in the eye. 

Check out this list, and see how many things "fit" her. 

http://nationalautismassociation.org/resources/signs-of-autism/

mommyakabooby
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM
If she is looking you in the eyes, I wouldn't be too worried. My oldest never looked anyone in the eye though, and he didn't have any problems. He's 19 now, and still doesn't look people in the eye, it's just part of his personality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CheyennesMommy2
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM
I hate to tell him, but he works 2 jobs. I'm thinking maybe she just isn't as familiar with him. :/

Quoting mommyakabooby:

If she is looking you in the eyes, I wouldn't be too worried. My oldest never looked anyone in the eye though, and he didn't have any problems. He's 19 now, and still doesn't look people in the eye, it's just part of his personality.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM

every child is different just remember that

if she can talk and communicate well, look you in the eyes and loves hugs and kisses i wouldnt stress too much

ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting christyg:

I would keep a close eye on her. She should be turning to look at you when you call her name, even if its not directly in the eye. 

Seriously?  She likes to play around and be a toddler and you got Autism out of that?  Smh.

She knows how to "find the vein".  She's talking.  She walks and is already trying to run.  She loves to be held all the time.

OP - does she follow other one step directions?  She sounds like a normal toddler to me, and your dh sounds like he's making the classic mistake of trying to compare babies.

CheyennesMommy2
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM
Thanks. She does *sometimes*....it does really worry me. But if there is something going on id rather catch it now.

Quoting christyg:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShadowLark
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Poor guy!  And she's still at separation anxiety age.  Give it a few months, she'll be a TOTAL daddy's girl!

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

I hate to tell him, but he works 2 jobs. I'm thinking maybe she just isn't as familiar with him. :/

Quoting mommyakabooby:

SHORTSHORT
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Quoting silverdawn99:

every child is different just remember that

if she can talk and communicate well, look you in the eyes and loves hugs and kisses i wouldnt stress too much

Also he just needs to keep trying to make his own bond with her..like even tho she is sleep go in her room m/b whisper,sing,or read a story..she will remember it even if it feels like a dream to her she will remember it..but my 4yr old would talk or play with me for bout 6 mons cause i wasnt home to much due to my hours..but now she wont stop talking to me..lol

CheyennesMommy2
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I told him try not to compare...it is hard not too. sometimes she doesn't turn her head when I say her name but I often wonder if she's just ignoring me.

She does two step directions like "go get blankie and lay on the pooh couch" or get your sippy and come here. :/ I still worry.

Quoting ShadowLark:

Quoting christyg:

Seriously?  She likes to play around and be a toddler and you got Autism out of that?  Smh.

She knows how to "find the vein".  She's talking.  She walks and is already trying to run.  She loves to be held all the time.

OP - does she follow other one step directions?  She sounds like a normal toddler to me, and your dh sounds like he's making the classic mistake of trying to compare babies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommyakabooby
by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 10:40 PM
yeah, you're probably right. I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings either. Just tell him your going to ask the dr about it on her next visit.

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

Quoting mommyakabooby:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN