Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

One of my dissolvable stitches didn't dissolve....

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM
  • 28 Replies

I had a baby 5 weeks ago. I had an episiotomy and they put dissolvable stitches in that they told me would dissolve in 2-3 weeks. The initial incision pain went away after the first week but over the last week I have felt extremely uncomfortable down there again. I had a look...as well as I could anyways and I noticed a stitch was still in place right where the pain is located. I had df take a look and he confirmed it. This thing is bugging the crap out of me. Sitting is uncomfortable....standing is uncomfortable....walking with my son when he is fussy is uncomfortable. I can barely stand it. My postpartum appointment isn't until next Tuesday. I want the thing out NOW! Everything appears healed. I have no sign of infection. It's just that damn stitch that is driving me bonkers!!!!

Anyone else have this issue? Is there anything I can do to help it dissolve or fall out? I am desperate. I can't wait until next Tuesday!

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I had a hysterectomy back in April and they used those on the inside of me. Most dissolved but one didnt. He just clipped it and pulled it out tho! Sorry momma, you may just have to wait, it would be best if ya did.

a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM
I would call Dr office and tell them! I wouldn't wait! In a week it could become infected!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sammi20
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM

take nail clippers to cut it and pull it out by its knot. Thats what I did but mine wasn't down there mine was my c-section stitches. (have your baby daddy or someone close to you do it OR the dr will take it out for better accuracy)

Luna091306
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

The site looks completely healed but I'm still nervous the wound is just going to split open or something. lol I am really tempted to just let df remove it but....I really think I might just call the dr tomorrow. I can't wait until next week. This is driving me nuts.

Quoting Sammi20:

take nail clippers to cut it and pull it out by its knot. Thats what I did but mine wasn't down there mine was my c-section stitches. (have your baby daddy or someone close to you do it OR the dr will take it out for better accuracy)

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM

my son who is seven had a umbilical hernia surgert almost a year ago and he still has stiches inside of him

he got one or two removed and i was looking the damned things migrated to the other side. i am not a happy mommy. to begin with they only put in a couple of stitches to close the freakin hernia so basically none of the stitches dissolved

Luna091306
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Yeah I don't even know what the point of getting the damn things is. I am reading it is very common for some to not dissolve. Ugh.

Quoting silverdawn99:

my son who is seven had a umbilical hernia surgert almost a year ago and he still has stiches inside of him

he got one or two removed and i was looking the damned things migrated to the other side. i am not a happy mommy. to begin with they only put in a couple of stitches to close the freakin hernia so basically none of the stitches dissolved

Apollos82
by on Jul. 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM
You need to remove it quickly. I had a dissolving stitch on my back. My skin healed over the knot and I had to be cut open again in order to remove it. Have you or DH take it out ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM

i get to take him to the doc again this week to get the stitches removed (he got two more stitches on the outside when they took the stitch out LOL go figure) i am wondering if i should just leave it be

Quoting Luna091306:

Yeah I don't even know what the point of getting the damn things are. I am reading it is very common for some to not dissolve. Ugh.

Quoting silverdawn99:

3greatkids751
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Same thing happened to my dd who had brain surgery. She had the dissolving stitches but a couple places didn't dissolve so I needed to sterilize a pair of clippers and clip a few excess pieces off that kept poking her. I hate those damn things, I'd much rather just get them taken out by my dr when you heal up. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luna091306
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM

What is the best way? I've read there is a great risk of infection when one doesn't dissolve too.

Quoting Apollos82:

You need to remove it quickly. I had a dissolving stitch on my back. My skin healed over the knot and I had to be cut open again in order to remove it. Have you or DH take it out ASAP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)