Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I am having 5 teeth cut out tomorrow. *update*

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM
  • 31 Replies

Yep... 4 wisdom teeth and one right next to a wisdom tooth. First of all... I am extremely nervous. I have never had any kind of surgery in my entire life so I am really freaked out about being put to sleep. And I'm scared of how bad it's gonna hurt afterward. I know... I'm a wimp. lol.

ALSO.... I am going to have to eat soft foods for about a week, if not longer. So I need some ideas on HEALTHY foods I can eat. I don't want to eat a bunch of ice cream and mashed potatoes and other crap that will make me gain weight.

Help!

Okay... they're out! We are on our way back home. My mouth is numb and full of gauze. I hate this feeling! But in a couple hours I'll probably be wishing it was still numb. lol

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JenMarie87
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:52 PM

BUMP!

Pnukey
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Are you getting them out because they cause you pain? If so, just focus on the fact that this surgery will remove that pain. I actually like the dentist for just that reason. I've had 4 root canals, 5 crowns, and all 4 wisdom teeth removed, not to mention fillings. 

IDK about soft foods. I lived on mashed potatoes when I had mine out.

Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this

It will only get better ;o)  Just listen to the directions about straws n such I heard  dry sockets are really bad.

Metteba
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 6:59 PM
2 moms liked this
JUST BE CAREFULE OF DRY SOCKET, THAT SHIT HURTS LIKE AMUTHAFUCKN BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
JenMarie87

Only 2 of them are bothering me but he decided to go ahead and get them all out. And the 5th one has to be taken out because I guess it has been damaged by one of the wisdom teeth trying to push through.

Quoting Pnukey:

Are you getting them out because they cause you pain? If so, just focus on the fact that this surgery will remove that pain. I actually like the dentist for just that reason. I've had 4 root canals, 5 crowns, and all 4 wisdom teeth removed, not to mention fillings. 

IDK about soft foods. I lived on mashed potatoes when I had mine out.

JenMarie87

My mom had that happen. She said it hurts really bad.

Quoting Cookie-kisses:

It will only get better ;o)  Just listen to the directions about straws n such I heard  dry sockets are really bad.

cherrywaves21
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I ate lots of steamed and boiled veggies. I also ate broth with brown rice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joshlor2
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Anything soft. Cooked carrots, soups, no sugar jello things like that.
Good luck!
Md ds has to have an oral cyst surgically removed from his jaw in the next couple of weeks and I am scared to death of him being in that much pain.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goldilocksbecky
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:43 PM

You really don't need to worry about gaining weight.  Realistically, you'll be hard pressed to get in enough calories those first few days.  The scale may show an increase because your body will hold on to extra water from inflammation and the effort to heal itself.  But weight gain needs to be least of your concerns.  Giving your body the nourishment it needs to give you strength and heal itself is what you need.

Soft cooked foods, eggs, soups, yogart, ice cream, pudding, etc. are all good.

When I had mine done the pain wasn't that bad.  They had hurt me so much in the months before that it was relief.  The first day or so can be hard, but they give you pain medication and you need to be willing and prepared to use it (have someone with you, someone to watch your kids, etc.)

I had a Frosty about 30 minutes after leaving the office and took my first dose of pain meds.  By the next day, I was in the pool at our apartments and felt really good.  (I only got in up to my waist and didn't let my head or face get wet).  I think the second day I used just Tylenol during the day and pain pills at night.  And I'm pretty wimpy to pain.

Now, I want to tell you this story in order to give you a heads up.  When I had mine done it was the first time I had ever been put to sleep.  I went to sleep in the dentist's chair, looking out a big window at the mountains.  And I woke up in a tiny little recovery area the size of a broom closet.  Because it was the dentist's (oral surgeon's) office, it never even entered my mind that they would move me to a different area for recovery.  So when I unexpectedly woke up in a different place, I got extremely paranoid and belligerent.  Obviously something weird was up and they were all out to get me.  In my drugged up haze I spotted DH and through a mouth full of cotton, I managed to ask him how I got in there.  He (innocently enough) told me I walked there.  OH NO! Big mistake.  Because I knew darn well I had not walked there.  And that meant HE was in on whatever crazy scheme they had going on.  So I immediately I was ready to come up out of there and find the nearest exit, or make one if necessary!  LOL  I had started crying and was "yelling" at him as best I could through the gauze in my mouth, "Uh-uh".  Bless him, he was doing all he could to try to calm and reassure me.  So he told me that he forgot that he CARRIED me into that room (snort).  And he just held me and hugged me and told me it was all OK.  After a minute or two I was returning to reality enough that things started making sense.  But those first moments of waking up in that strange room were some of the most paniced/paranoid moments of my life.   

SO, the point of this embarrassing tale is this ~ Ask them ahead of time if you will be moved to another room for recovery.  And if so, see if there is a chance you can see the room.  If not, at least have it in your mind that you will wake up in a different place.

I have been put to sleep twice since then and both times we warned the anesthesiologist that I'd had that crazy panic/paranoid thing happen.  I am normally very calm, easy-going, level-headed, in control, etc.  So it was a very atypical reaction for me.  Thankfully I was fine the next two times.  But I think a big part of that was that those next two time I went to sleep KNOWING that I would wake up in a recovery area.  Whereas, with the bad episode at the oral surgeon's office, it never crossed my mind that I could wake up in a different place.  So, just be prepared for that possibility.  Good luck! :)

crispysmom
by on Jul. 24, 2012 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I loved chocolate pudding after having mine out! Good luck! It sucks!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN