Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

In your opinion which is better, renting or owing your house?

Posted by   + Show Post
Renting is best you don't have to worry about maintenance cost, insurance, taxes and lawn care. After reading this what do you think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:19 AM
Replies (91-96):
Rose87
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:24 PM
This.

But dh and I plan to buy land and build our own home so we can avoid paying interest on a house.

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

For us right now, renting is the best. But I would love to own our own home one day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sun_Shine_990
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:28 PM
yes owning your own home is much better, however with this economey it may be hard for people to afford to buy their own house...

Me and dh are at the point right now where we can't afford to buy our home right now. We are hoping to within the next four years to buy our home... I would love to own our own home but just can't right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandiK
by on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Owning, although for us it's very stressful because we bought our house about 18 months ago and have to move for my husbands work, and so we will be renting out our home and renting one where we move. Makes me wish we hadn't bought a house here.

Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I hated renting , but after owning for 7 yrs we have to relocate and will be renting.  I look foward to the lack of responsibility!

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM

It depends on the financial situation of the person and how long they intend to be in the house. At least those have been the primary factors for us. For some, renting is better and for others owning makes more sense. It really depends on if the person can afford all the extras beyond a mortgage. Also, if you don't intend to stay in the house for more than 3-5 years purchasing is not a good idea. You would lose too much money for it to be worth it.

prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2012 at 1:36 PM
Your losing the same amount renting . At least you own the home . Renting you keep nothing and get nothing back =years of money tossed down the drain .

Quoting Nothonnadoit:

Quoting prdmomnarmywife:

Quoting armywife0424:

Owning, you're making an investment.

An investment is never guaranteed.  You might walk away losing tens or hundreds of thousands depending on where you live.  What if we have severe deflation, then what? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)