Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Serious answers only please....

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM
  • 27 Replies

My DD went to a friends house a few weeks ago. I found out after we came home that her friend had lice. Now my DD has it. I have tried everything. We tried the shampoo stuff, Mayo, i sat for hours picking at it, the shampoo stuff again. I have washed every sheet, blanket, pillow and pillowcase in this house. Also washed all the stuffed animals. toys, clothes. Sprayed ALL the beds, couches, chairs. I shampooed the carpets...but i can not get rid of the stuff. I am half tempted to shave her head. Her hair takes forever to grow out though and its about 2 inches from her butt, but its thin. Does anyone know anything else i can try, something that actually works? Please, only serious answers. Thanks.

frustrated

I'm trying to reply to the posts...but for some reason every time i click to reply, i type a few words then have to wait for the screen to unfreeze. I don't know why its freezing..this is the only page i have open that does it. Anyways, I will try some of the things people have mentioned. I looked into salons. In Oklahoma, there is only 1 and its 3 hours away. I would be willing to drive there, but its $95/hour per tech and it says it takes 2 techs at a time. WAY too much. But i will try some of the stuff on here...hopefully it helps. I have 13 days to get it all taken care of.

by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sugareemommee
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM

never dealt with lice, so here's a bump momma. 

GL!

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:52 PM
Tea tree oil repels them. Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) kills both adults and nits but smells really foul. Not sure if it's recommended for children though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RyansMommie07
by Jessica Lynne on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:53 PM
Can you perm her Hair? I think the chemicals kill them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kikitice
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I would look for a salon that deals with lice. They have those now.

spitfire06
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:54 PM
Freeze everything...my mom did that when we got lice...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Christine0813
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting kikitice:

I would look for a salon that deals with lice. They have those now.

mommi_2_four
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Quoting xtwistedxlovex:

Tea tree oil repels them. Selsun Blue (selenium sulfide) kills both adults and nits but smells really foul. Not sure if it's recommended for children though.

i will check it out. Thanks. This sounds horrible, but my mom used dog shampoo with Tea Tree oil on her also. I forgot about that...she used it when my neices had it years ago.

a06z08mama
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Vacuum ur furniture after u spray it. My DD had it from daycare. I straightened her hair Nd used the nit comb too. I finally used petroleum jelly in her hair. It killed them. If you use that. You have to use baby powder to get it out.

I tried everything. Peanut butter. Mayo. Eggs. Coconut shampoos. The petroleum jelly did the trick!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aiy1021
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

When my children had lice I did that medical shampoo for lice that thing is expensive and worthless so I tried a home remedy that I found online in which you wash the hair in vinegar (diluted of course) then wash the hair in palmolive dish washing soap and comb out it worked especially with the vinegar but I also applied tea tree oil a few drops in their shampoo to help keep them away and so far that helped.

angelcatia
by on Jul. 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM
Try blowdrying her hair also. The heat will help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)