Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My daughter wants to sleep in a closet!

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM
  • 67 Replies

My kids share rooms. My 11 year old and 9 year old share a room. My almost 7 year old and my 3 year old share a room. We are looking to get a house one day where they will all have their own room, but it is not going to happen today. My 11 year old hates sharing a room. She is at the age where she wants privacy. I understand that (she is also at the "everybody hates me, no one understands me" argue with everything I say age). A few days ago. She rearranged the hall closet, drug an small lamp in there, laid out a blanket on the floor and put a few of her things in it. She wanted it to be a kind of reading room at first, but now she pretty much stays in there all of the time. She has taken several toys in there and has been in there most of the day. I was fine with that. She needs a place to call her own, I get that. So tonight she comes to me and says she wants to sleep in there. I told her no. She has a bed and I don't want her sleeping on the floor in the closet. She cried and begged, told me I didn't care about her - normal 11 year old drama. She has school tomorrow. I told her I might let her do it on a night that wasn't a school night. I have to think about it. They have made pallets on the floor in their rooms occasionally on non school nights and this would not be that different. So what would you do? Would you have let your daughter sleep in the closet? Am I the worst mother in the world?

Make money from home - 100% free! http://instantmoneynetwork.com/Wlandress

by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Evonavich
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM
Psh I loved sleeping in my closet as a kid. Tho that started cus I was hiding from my brother hahaha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcclainprincess
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I'd let her have at it.. what's it gonna hurt?  Eventually she'll get tired of it..  But, she should count herself lucky, I had to share a porch - yes you read that right - with my 2 older BROTHERS growing up...  

DACIA79
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM
A lot of kids do it sometimes you just want a spot just for youself my baby sister did the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KittyTussand
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

i loved sleeping in the closet when i was younger. i loved being in small places it felt homey and safe.  i like your idea of doing it on none school nites she might just be acting out. But she might just want a place of her own she feels comfy in.  when i was around 10 my sister was 7 and we shared a small room with a walk in closet.  i moved into the walk in closet and it was wounderful.  even today hubby and i share the smallest room and i love it! try it on none school nights and see how she acts/sleeps. she may not be comfy enough on the floor or find it gets scary at night.

motherslove82
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:46 PM

A porch with two boys? Poor girl! :-)

I guess I just hate to think of her sleeping on the floor everynight.

Quoting mcclainprincess:

I'd let her have at it.. what's it gonna hurt?  Eventually she'll get tired of it..  But, she should count herself lucky, I had to share a porch - yes you read that right - with my 2 older BROTHERS growing up...  

mcclainprincess
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:48 PM

nah.. kids are strong.. their backs aren't like ours!!  haha

Quoting motherslove82:

A porch with two boys? Poor girl! :-)

I guess I just hate to think of her sleeping on the floor everynight.

Quoting mcclainprincess:

zildjans_mom
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:50 PM
My ds always sleeps in his closet and he has his own room... It started when his dad started beating me though he would hide now its his secret place
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JesusJunkie
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:51 PM
I'd let her or maybe you could ask her if she would rather share a room with the 3 year old
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsRinehart2010
by on Jul. 31, 2012 at 10:54 PM
if it will fit (if she has a twin size mattress) shove it in there an let her sleep she will grow out of it lol
motherslove82
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 11:00 PM

She would rather share with the 3 year old, but that would leave my almost 7 year old (who is a boy) sharing with my 9 year old (who is a girl) and my 9 year old is starting to reach the "I need privacy" stage, too. Especially from her little brother.

Quoting JesusJunkie:

I'd let her or maybe you could ask her if she would rather share a room with the 3 year old

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)