Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Wood Looking Tile?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM
  • 13 Replies

Just curious if anybody has any experience with this? My husband and I are replacing our kitchen and dining room floors. I wanted hardwood and he wanted tile, neither of us were budging and it was starting to cause an issue. I had come across this in a tile store and thought it was really cool but I'm just wondering if anybody has any real experience with it? Does it really look like hardwood?

by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this

no no no... god no. lol

why would he want tile in the dining room?  OMG.. i prefer all hardwood in the kitchen and everyroom in the house.. but since you cant agree, do tile in the kitchen and hardwood in the dining room.

i cant even imagine tile in a living room...

LuvMyFrog
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
It's actually quite common in Florida. I would have died without my Swiffer. Our entire house was white tile and at the time we had a 4yr old and a 6yr old :/

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

no no no... god no. lol

why would he want tile in the dining room?  OMG.. i prefer all hardwood in the kitchen and everyroom in the house.. but since you cant agree, do tile in the kitchen and hardwood in the dining room.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM

i used to live in W. Boca, and we had hardwood and tile, but the tile was in the kitchen and bathrooms only.

thats supposed to be dining room.. lol.. 

my house in ny is all hardwood and tile as well... hate carpets.. lol.. kitchen i wish was hardwood, but the tile was brand new when we bought the house... 

Quoting LuvMyFrog:

It's actually quite common in Florida. I would have died without my Swiffer. Our entire house was white tile and at the time we had a 4yr old and a 6yr old :/

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

no no no... god no. lol

LuvMyFrog
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:22 PM
We lived in Orlando, Tampa, Lakeland, and Jacksonville and we had all tile in every house we lived in. Maybe we were just unlucky! LOL

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

i used to live in W. Boca, and we had hardwood and tile, but the tile was in the kitchen and bathrooms only.

my house in ny is all hardwood and tile as well... hate carpets.. lol.. kitchen i wish was hardwood, but the tile was brand new when we bought the house... 

Quoting LuvMyFrog:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

no no no... god no. lol

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MandaRose83
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Your argument was my argument LOL! I didn't mind the kitchen being tiled but I did not want my dining room nor my living room. Its all an open space. Right now the kitchen has laminate hardwood and dining and living carpet. I can't do tile in the kitchen, hardwood in dining and carpet in living. It will look weird being that its all open. I can't do tile in the kitchen and hardwood in dining and living because we can't afford to do living at the moment plus I like my carpet in my living room. I refused to do tile in the dining because I feel its cold looking. We also have a beautiful warm sliding glass door that was just put in 2 years ago and it just wouldn't look right with tile. So our solution? Hardwood tile. I mean this stuff literally looks like a hardwood floor when put down because you make the grout lines so small and use colored grout to match the tile. But its tile. His argument against the hardwood was what if something were to happen like what happened with our fridge. It leaked all over the floor and the laminate was ruined (hence why we are replacing). If that happened on my hardwood I would die. 

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

no no no... god no. lol

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:25 PM

our second home is in palm beach.  tile in the kitchen and carpet in the other rooms.. yes i hate carpet, but we use the house 1 month out of the year in total... lol. so i deal. ha ha.. but wow, i never been in an all tile house.  lol

Quoting LuvMyFrog:

We lived in Orlando, Tampa, Lakeland, and Jacksonville and we had all tile in every house we lived in. Maybe we were just unlucky! LOL

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

Quoting LuvMyFrog:

Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

no no no... god no. lol

soon2bmommyof2
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 2:30 AM
Oooh my goodness I just fell in love lol! loooove the balken black or whatever it was called lol!! Thanks for this link :)

Quoting willmars1989:

i will go with limestone tiles for kitchen and i think for dining Room Marble Floor would be a good idea???

natural stone tiles

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Depends what kind of feel you are going for in kitchen.  You can do natural stone tiles, wood, ceramic tiles, even marble tiles if you want.  I would definitely do wood floors though in dining room and living room unless you want dirt to be trapped in all the little areas of the tiles.   My dad ripped up all the carpet in his house and kept the tiles LOL  I once lived in an apartment with a bathroom that used carpet of all things.. We have carpet here in the living room but since we are renting we have no choice in matter.

Lala06
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2012 at 3:57 AM
My whole house is natural stone tile ( I forget the name) and the bedrooms are hardwood I love it ! It depends on the tile and design on it how it will look you should ask for samples :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Sep. 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM
My husband works for Lowe's and it's the "new" trend that will be going on. We just bought a new house and its already outdated. Lol. It's a very new concept and I haven't seen it in person yet except on HGTV. May finish our basement in it. Tile is fairly easy to lay. Good luck;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)