Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Dh and I are expecting our third daughter in December. We're having a hard time picking a name, but we really like the names Sylvia, Charlotte and Olivia. Well, my sister and her boyfriend (not engaged, might be engaged this Fall, but they don't even live together yet)  have called "dibs" on the name Olivia. My family seems to think I should respect that and not name the baby Olivia. She wants to call her future Olivia "Olive" and we want to call our potential Olivia in the making, "Ollie." I think that A) Calling dibs on a name when you're not even trying to have a baby is completely unfair and B) We can have two Olivias, especially if one is an Olive and one is an Ollie. My mom and grandmother are super sensitive to this because my grandmother wanted to name my mom "Anne Marie" after her mother, but her brother had a baby girl first and named her after their mother. I think that is perfectly fair. That name meant the same thing to both my grandmother and great uncle. Whoever had a baby girl first got to name it after their mother! No one was struggling to have a baby. It was the 60's and they didn't even "try" to conceive like most of us have to these days. It's not like my grandmother desperately yearned for an Anne Marie for years and my Uncle, out of spite, named his daughter Anne Marie. As for the name Olivia, neither of us have any family ties to an Olivia. My sister simply likes the name Olivia Marie and I simply like the name Olivia Quinne. I think it's perfectly fair for DH and I to name our daughter Olivia if she comes out looking like an Olivia to us. How do we even know my sister and her bf will get married?! If they break up she might have NEW names with the man she actually marries? Or what if she only has boys or has a girl and doesn't even like the name Olivia by the time she has a daughter? And I have to give up a name that could be perfect for a baby who is ACTUALLY here because she called "dibs" on it? Just doesn't seem fair to me. : /

Lilypie Maternity tickers

by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
mkh615
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:28 PM

I certainly hope my sister has as much class and respect as you!! I think it might be kind of special if we both had a daughter named Olivia! It'll be even cuter if they have different nicknames!

Quoting Pnukey:

I would also like to add that my cousin named her daughter Megan 2 years after I named my daughter Megan. I didn't flip out on her. I told her she had good taste in names!

mkh615
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Well, it's not really like a family drama or anything. There isn't any arguing. But whenever someone asks about names and we list Charlotte, Sylvia and Olivia things get a little tense. I don't have an issue with both of us naming children Olivia!

Quoting happymommy1105:

Why don't y'all decide on a name before you make a big deal out of it?

You admitted you haven't decided on a name. decide. then deal with the stupid childish drama.

Christine0813
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Quoting Pnukey:

Name your girl Olivia. It's a lovely name. You have an actual baby. Your sis does not. There is no "dibs" in naming kids. 

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:33 PM
1 mom liked this
"dibs" is for 7 year olds. She needs to get over it.
Btw, I like Sylvia much better. Olivia is waaayyy popular now. There are tons of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mkh615
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Sylvia is actually my #1 in the list of 3, but I still like Olivia and I want to know it's an option, ya know? I was looking at where these names ranked currently and Olivia was #4 : / Sylvia isn't even in the top 100. That is pretty appealing... :D

Quoting crwspringer:

"dibs" is for 7 year olds. She needs to get over it.
Btw, I like Sylvia much better. Olivia is waaayyy popular now. There are tons of them.

Kageegirl
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM
I had a situation like yours. When dh and I were pregnant with our first son everyone asked used what names we choose. At the time we didn't know the sex. I told everyone if it was a boy Gage parker and if it was a girl Lillian Elizabeth. We had a boy. Well when we were pregnant with our second we told everyone that our names were Nolan Carter for a boy and Lillian Elizabeth for a girl. My sister-in-law had just had a little girl when I was 17 weeks pregnant. We went to the hospital to see her. They hadn't choosen a name for her yet. She asked me what if any names we had choosen. I told her Nolan Carter for a boy and Lillian Elizabeth for a girl. We left and later that day my brother informed us that she was insistant on naming her Lillian Elizabeth. My brother hated the name and was 100% against it. They didn't end up naming her that thank god. My brother and her later seperated and she became pregnant 2 months after my brother and her broke up. I was 11 weeks pregnant when I read on Facebook she had a little girl and named her Lillian Elizabeth. As much as we loved the name we couldn't see naming our daughter that if we had one. We choose Ava Rose instead. Turned out to be a boy his name is Aiden Walker.
On another note my cousin had twin girls who are 9. One girl is named Madison grace. 3 years later my sister got pregnant with her daughter. She really wanted to name her daughter Madison Grace. Everyone told her if that's what she wanted to name her daughter go for it. So now we have to madison grace's in the family.
I say name your daughter whatever you want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jltplk25
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd just tell them you've picked a name and will reveal it when your child is born. Your sister can't call dips on a name. Its a child, not the front seat of a car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pinkjimmies06
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Is it copyrighted?

Then name her what you want!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scperdomo
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Reason #1 why this kid's name is being kept under wraps until its on paper.

Name your kid what you and your DH love the most. People can't call dibs on a freakin name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Aug. 4, 2012 at 7:54 PM
1 mom liked this
If they arent pregnant now then you have every right to use the name you want...they dont like it then oh well, maybe they should have gotten pregnant first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN