Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to cook a whole chicken HELP!

Posted by   + Show Post
My mom brought over a whole frozen chicken. I have NO clue how to cook it. She said it was pre seasoned but i don't see anything on it. Either way HOW DO I COOK IT?
I have no charcoal, beer, or pretty much anything extra. I have a little olive oil and a bunch of seasonings. I have a roasting pan big enough to hold it but not very deep and I have a big Crockpot/roaster...if I can find the thing that goes in it to hold the food off the bottom..having trouble locating it. Lol.
So ladies, How do I cook this thing?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 1:48 AM
Replies (61-65):
Irishgirlx959
by CoxRox on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I love it that way! I've made the dumplings other ways but nothing is as good, to me anyway lol
Do you use the homestyle or buttermilk? I LOVE the buttermilk :) 

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I just saw your reply. I love dumplings made with canned biscuits.

Quoting Irishgirlx959:

Sometimes when I want a quick chicken and dumplings I get the canned biscuits. Just tear it into bite size pieces, stir it in and in about 10 mins it's done and the juice is thickened

Quoting cjsix:

I think when hubby has added dumplings he used a baking soda bisquet recipe and dropped the dough into the pot and put the lid back on. Dumplings here are a bisquet not a noodle.

Quoting nicole6870:

Yum! You don't by chance have a recipe for dumpling too? I seriously need cable again just to watch cooking shows. Lol

Quoting cjsix:

Put it in your roasting pan after it's thawed and sprinkle whatever seasonings on it your prefer. We put garlic on it frequently or sometimes a combination of cumin,ginger,tumeric and garlic...sometimes we use cajun seasoning or just a little kosher salt. All tastes really good!

After you are done with the first meal remove the rest of the meat putting it in a storage container. Put all of the bones into a very large pot and cover well with water. Heat till boiling and then turn the burner down and let simmer for at least 3-4 hours,then strain to remove the bones. At this time I add 2  1 pound bags of frozen mixed veggies,the leftover chicken(cut up) and about a 2 teaspoons each cumin,tumeric,ginger and garlic. We cook brown rice or long grain and wild rice seperately (sometimes noodles) and each add them to our own bowls. For me cooking them in the soup they end up absorbing the broth over a couple days and you end up with more of a stew...still really good though.

crystalplus1
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Season it, and you can put celery and onion inside of it helps keep it moist. cook in the oven, should have instructions

ButterflyGenie
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM
I can cook all of that. My dad and dh do the boils though. It's an outside man thing.

Quoting cjsix:

I'll bet you have some wonderful recipes. We lived in Louisiana for about 2 yes and loved the food there. Gumbo,jambalaya,catfish,crawfish.....oh,do I want some fresh crawfish ...sooooo good! One time a friend at church made something like a gumbo maybe that had fish.It was real good but,I never was able to get her recipe. Sorry...guess I'm getting hungry....lol! 

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

The second noodles is what mil makes. We live in Louisiana. Cajun to be exact.

Quoting cjsix:

There are two different things both of which are called dumplings. I don't know if it's a north and south difference or not but,one is basically a drop bisquet(like a baking soda bisquet/dinner roll) and the other is like a thick partically cooked noodle. The first ones are yummy in chicken and dumplings,the second one I do not like,they aren't fully cooked and taste doughy.

Quoting ButterflyGenie:

I don't like dumplings myself. They're gross and stink. Mil makes them for Thanksgiving and I throw them out every thanksgiving because nobody eats them.

Quoting cjsix:

Ewwwww....no! they taste like thick partically cooked doughy noodles.

Quoting nicole6870:

That's basically what I do. But my mother informed me tonight that I needed to learn how to do the thin dumplings

Quoting cjsix:

I think when hubby has added dumplings he used a baking soda bisquet recipe and dropped the dough into the pot and put the lid back on. Dumplings here are a bisquet not a noodle.

Quoting nicole6870:

Yum! You don't by chance have a recipe for dumpling too? I seriously need cable again just to watch cooking shows. Lol

Quoting cjsix:

Put it in your roasting pan after it's thawed and sprinkle whatever seasonings on it your prefer. We put garlic on it frequently or sometimes a combination of cumin,ginger,tumeric and garlic...sometimes we use cajun seasoning or just a little kosher salt. All tastes really good!

After you are done with the first meal remove the rest of the meat putting it in a storage container. Put all of the bones into a very large pot and cover well with water. Heat till boiling and then turn the burner down and let simmer for at least 3-4 hours,then strain to remove the bones. At this time I add 2  1 pound bags of frozen mixed veggies,the leftover chicken(cut up) and about a 2 teaspoons each cumin,tumeric,ginger and garlic. We cook brown rice or long grain and wild rice seperately (sometimes noodles) and each add them to our own bowls. For me cooking them in the soup they end up absorbing the broth over a couple days and you end up with more of a stew...still really good though.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

You don't have to cook it whole if you don't want to. Breaking it down is super easy, just cut it into the familiar parts and then cook it like you would cook regular chicken!

DevinsMom94
by on Aug. 5, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Go to allrecipes.com and look up " roast sticky chicken" it's like rotisserie chicken but made in your oven. By far the BEST chicken I have ever made!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)