Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My family is moving to Israel - ask me anything

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
  • 265 Replies
2 moms liked this

DH and I are both born-and-raised in the USA. We are in the process of moving to Israel - we leave the states on Sept 10.

We are Jewish - and feel very strongly that Israel is where we belong.  We fit in there - no one looks at us strangely for the way we dress - DH and my sons wear kippahs (yarmulkes) and tzitzit (fringes that you can see sticking out from the bottoms of their shirts) - I cover my hair, and our daughters and myself dress modestly - long skirts, high-cut tops, etc.  Having 5 kids is no big deal over there - in fact, in some areas, we'll be considered a SMALL family.  Our kids won't be the only Jewish and/or observant kids around - we won't be the only family in the neighborhood with a menorah in the window during Hanukkah....the kids schools will all be closed on the Jewish holidays - no more having to take-off/make-up-work...etc.

We do not have any family living in Israel (in fact - our parents and siblings all live close to where we are now).

We will be moving with our four younger children ages 15, 13, (will be) 10, and (will be) 9.

Our oldest daughter - who is 19 - will be staying in the USA at least for this year while she completes college (she will be graduating in May 2013).

We are also moving with 2 cats and a guinea pig.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dsebastian23
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Wow I hope you enjoy it but to pick up your family and move away from other family?

CountryGirl0809
by SWEET-PEA on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Why leave family to go to a country of chaos constantly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you afraid with all the conflict going on there right now? Where will you live? How?

Tiffwith3plus3
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I get it. I hope you have a fantastic journey! Is immigration hard?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Exciting! I always wanted to do something like this. GL!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momof2sillygrls
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
how did you decide to move there? did you look at other options such as Jewish communites in the usa first? are the kids happy and excited about the move? what kind of work will your husband and you Do, and was it hard to find jobs? does your family and you speak Islamic ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Blue231
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:38 AM
Congratulations! It sounds like you are very happy about this move. Is the move completely for cultural reasons or do you also have a new job there? I wish you the best of luck and hope it is wonderful for you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ajrjj05
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

good ridens! 

liveforever
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Good luck with your move!

What is the significance of the tzitzit? My dd was playing with a little boy at the childrens museum recently and all the boys in the family had those.

mallowcup17
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this

good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN