Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My family is moving to Israel - ask me anything

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I are both born-and-raised in the USA. We are in the process of moving to Israel - we leave the states on Sept 10.

We are Jewish - and feel very strongly that Israel is where we belong.  We fit in there - no one looks at us strangely for the way we dress - DH and my sons wear kippahs (yarmulkes) and tzitzit (fringes that you can see sticking out from the bottoms of their shirts) - I cover my hair, and our daughters and myself dress modestly - long skirts, high-cut tops, etc.  Having 5 kids is no big deal over there - in fact, in some areas, we'll be considered a SMALL family.  Our kids won't be the only Jewish and/or observant kids around - we won't be the only family in the neighborhood with a menorah in the window during Hanukkah....the kids schools will all be closed on the Jewish holidays - no more having to take-off/make-up-work...etc.

We do not have any family living in Israel (in fact - our parents and siblings all live close to where we are now).

We will be moving with our four younger children ages 15, 13, (will be) 10, and (will be) 9.

Our oldest daughter - who is 19 - will be staying in the USA at least for this year while she completes college (she will be graduating in May 2013).

We are also moving with 2 cats and a guinea pig.

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM
Replies (261-265):
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion.  And if that is all you think of when you hear Israel - then there is nothing I can say to change your mind.

But - in my defense -- it wasn't an active war zone when we moved here 10 weeks ago.  And the area we are living in is perfectly safe and not part of the current war either.

Quoting LectioDivina:

What a horrible move.

To move children into a war zone? Appalling....

LectioDivina
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Whatever, do whatever you think is best for your family. 

Quoting TableforSeven:

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion.  And if that is all you think of when you hear Israel - then there is nothing I can say to change your mind.

But - in my defense -- it wasn't an active war zone when we moved here 10 weeks ago.  And the area we are living in is perfectly safe and not part of the current war either.

Quoting LectioDivina:

What a horrible move.

mom2ljh
by on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM
That is great. I hope you love it there and everyone adjusts well.

Quoting TableforSeven:

It has certainly been an interesting process.  There was 18 months of paperwork involved just to be approved to move into Israel.

Thankfully there is an organization that's job is to help walk people through the red-tape. They also help you find comunities to live in and help set-up life once you arrive.  

The Israeli government and the other group both help people with immigration costs and help you get on your feet after-arrivak as well (both financially and with services - like free airfare for the move, Hebrew language classes for adults, etc).

Quoting Tiffwith3plus3:

I get it. I hope you have a fantastic journey! Is immigration hard?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Thank you - we have.  :-)

All the best to you and your family as well.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Whatever, do whatever you think is best for your family. 

Quoting TableforSeven:

Quoting LectioDivina:

What a horrible move.

TableforSeven
by Judy on Nov. 20, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The adjustment has been wonderful -- we have been here 10 weeks today.

The kids are doing SO WELL.  They have been in school for over a month now and have made a TON of friends...they always seem to be off somewhere or have friends here.  They all are getting Hebrew tutoring at school and are learning very quickly.

DH is in adult Hebrew language classes right now -- they last 5 months...then he will start looking for a job here.  For the time being he still has some American work he is finishing up (he was/is a private contractor in the USA).  I was unable to take the Hebrew classes this cycle because I will be taking a trip to the states (I leave lext week) to spend some time with our oldest daughter and stay with her until she finishes this semester at college, then she will be coming here with me and staying for a few weeks as a visit).

The people here are WONDERFUL....so friendly and helpful and sweet.  The town is beautiful.  The 'early rains' have started and things have cooled down (finally) and that is all LOVELY.  I can't wait for the rainy-season to officially begin and for things to really get cool and wet.

It took us a while to get our house fully up-and-running.  We had planned to use a few American appliances that we brought with us - but have not been able to use either in the house we are currently renting...so we had to buy things here and get them set up.  The stove was the hardest because it is a gas stove-top and we had to get gas-balloons before we could get the stove installed.  Blech - glad that is all done.  But - we're just in 'cruising mode' right now adjusting to everyday life.  It is going really well.

Quoting mom2ljh:

That is great. I hope you love it there and everyone adjusts well.

Quoting TableforSeven:

It has certainly been an interesting process.  There was 18 months of paperwork involved just to be approved to move into Israel.

Thankfully there is an organization that's job is to help walk people through the red-tape. They also help you find comunities to live in and help set-up life once you arrive.  

The Israeli government and the other group both help people with immigration costs and help you get on your feet after-arrivak as well (both financially and with services - like free airfare for the move, Hebrew language classes for adults, etc).

Quoting Tiffwith3plus3:

I get it. I hope you have a fantastic journey! Is immigration hard?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)