Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I voted today and..............

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM
  • 8 Replies

Was only allowed to vote on our extention office merger. I was not allowed to vote for sheriff or the state seats because I am independant. I asked why I can't vote for sheriff and they said because I am not republican. WTH?!  I am proud I don't affiliate with either party. I lean more towards republican but not completely. 

by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jadsmummy
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:10 PM
What?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:12 PM
If your party does not have a candidate selected, you cannot vote. That is why there is no Independant presidential candidate this race. Our party did not elect a candidate. However, we will still be able to vote in the main election. We just cannot vote in primaries.

At least....I *think* that's about how it works. I could be wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

But does that include the sheriff office? I never thought they were really running for a party, but for a job. 

Quoting Apollos82:

If your party does not have a candidate selected, you cannot vote. That is why there is no Independant presidential candidate this race. Our party did not elect a candidate. However, we will still be able to vote in the main election. We just cannot vote in primaries.

Apollos82
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM
I think for some reason it does...it may just be in your county. Some counties, especially in more...how do I say it...? "Old school" states probably have very dated voting laws designed to put the kibosh on Independant thinking!

Quoting kansasmom1978:

But does that include the sheriff office? I never thought they were really running for a party, but for a job. 

Quoting Apollos82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah probably true. Heaven forbid someone not agree with the two main parties. I mean really we are not supposed to have our own minds, hearts and thoughts. We are supposed to support what we are told to support. Yeah screw that.

Quoting Apollos82:

I think for some reason it does...it may just be in your county. Some counties, especially in more...how do I say it...? "Old school" states probably have very dated voting laws designed to put the kibosh on Independant thinking!

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting Apollos82:

Apollos82
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
...and now I have that line from "O, Brother, Where Art Thou" stuck in my head...

"Is you is or is you ain't my constichency?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Apollos82
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:34 PM
Exactly! I'm right there with you: a slightly-leaning-right independent. And nothing's going to make that change! So there.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Yeah probably true. Heaven forbid someone not agree with the two main parties. I mean really we are not supposed to have our own minds, hearts and thoughts. We are supposed to support what we are told to support. Yeah screw that.

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting Apollos82:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep, I'm not changing for no one. I like being in the middle and not letting any two faced party tell me what to think, how to treat people or so on.

Quoting Apollos82:

Exactly! I'm right there with you: a slightly-leaning-right independent. And nothing's going to make that change! So there.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting Apollos82:

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Quoting Apollos82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN