Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My Child Is Technically Overweight :(

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM
  • 10 Replies

I just got home from the doctor, and they said that she's technically overweight. I can't believe that! I mean, I can see a little pudge, and we've actually changed her diet in the past few weeks because I know she needs healthier foods, but I didn't think she was actually overweight. This sucks :(.

Oh well. We caught it now, so we can change it fast. I just feel like a terrible parent :(.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM

atleast you are willing to make the necessary changes rather than turning a deaf ear to what the doctors say

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:20 PM
WHAT??!! How old is she and what is her height/ weight if you don't mind me asking.
Also, how did they determine this. BMI is not accurat for children.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

At least you have a positive attitude and are willing to change it. And this doesn't make you a terrible mom.

StoneColdKiller
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Looking at her pic I wouldnt think overweight either, like you said some thickness but not nearly enough that I would think overweight. They might be more strict with kids though cause of the issues we have now.

piwife
by on Aug. 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM
How old is she how much does she weight? What about height?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:53 PM
She's six and she weighs 62 lbs. she's 4'2". They said she's in the 90th percentile. And they did use the BMI to calculate, along with the fact that she's gained 16 lbs in the last two years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM
The bmi calculator that I use puts her at 88% which is at risk for becoming overweight. Bmi doesn't take muscle mass or body type into account. It isn't an accurate measurement for anyone and I wish that they would abolish it.
ambermarie2006
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Yea my 7 1/2 year old is 60lbs and her doc said she's overweight. I don't understand it though, she doesn't eat junk and she's active in cheering and dance :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:02 PM
Oh well. I see this as an opportunity to start eating healthier and to teach her better eating habits.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashgambit
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM
I just figured she weighed more because she is so tall. She's taller than kids that are older than her.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Yea my 7 1/2 year old is 60lbs and her doc said she's overweight. I don't understand it though, she doesn't eat junk and she's active in cheering and dance :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)