Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My hubby and I are going through a hard time. He is going to be ending his paid intership and going back to school at the end of the month. We need some ideas of cheap and easy dinners! What do you ladies like to make thats cheap and easy ;)

ETA: Hubby is very picky. Im up for anything. Him on the other hand hates tuna, anything mexican, peppers, mushrooms, sour cream, cream cheese...

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamaJ8329
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Growing up now and then my parents would fall on hard times too. They used to make a few dishes that were cheap and seemed to go around well enough for our family (there were 4 of us). They would take boxed macaroni and cheese and put hamburger right in it (sort of like a hamburger helper if you will).  They would also buy the chicken flavored rice a roni (about a dollar a box I think) and a bag of frozen chicken breasts and cut the chicken up and put that right in the rice. You can also do homemade mac and cheese (I like to put ham in mine, you can buy it already cubed up), or hamburger helper. Some of it can be pretty bland but if you cook your meats with seasonings it helps. Good luck!

jenny0709
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM
I also should of added hamburgers or cheeseburgers with homemade french fries . Or fried fish or chicken with homemade frys. Also homemade wet burritos can be decently cheap if you buy the cheaper meat.

Quoting jenny0709:

Tuna with shells& cheese, with a veggie or salad. meat loaf, baked or mashed potato with frozen veggie or salad. salmon patties , chessy rice and frozen veggie or salad. Tacos. spaghetti, with garlic bread and salad. Stuffed jumbo shells, stuffed with mozzarella parmesan , ricatta . Mix 1lb of ground beef with spaghetti sauce , pour over stuffed shells baked with foil covering until cheese is melted inside with garlic bread and salad.. Scrambled eggs or omelette with toast. Cube steak with milk gravy and boiled potatoes with veggies or salad. Semi homemade pizza, store bought pizza crust, toppings and marinara . Chicken fettucini alfredo with a salad.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vampyrechic
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Hmmm. Whats wet burritos? 

Quoting jenny0709:

I also should of added hamburgers or cheeseburgers with homemade french fries . Or fried fish or chicken with homemade frys. Also homemade wet burritos can be decently cheap if you buy the cheaper meat.

Quoting jenny0709:

Tuna with shells& cheese, with a veggie or salad. meat loaf, baked or mashed potato with frozen veggie or salad. salmon patties , chessy rice and frozen veggie or salad. Tacos. spaghetti, with garlic bread and salad. Stuffed jumbo shells, stuffed with mozzarella parmesan , ricatta . Mix 1lb of ground beef with spaghetti sauce , pour over stuffed shells baked with foil covering until cheese is melted inside with garlic bread and salad.. Scrambled eggs or omelette with toast. Cube steak with milk gravy and boiled potatoes with veggies or salad. Semi homemade pizza, store bought pizza crust, toppings and marinara . Chicken fettucini alfredo with a salad.

jenny0709
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM
Lol! Sorry lol. Pretty much a burrito with enchilada sauce and cheese on top. So basically its a flour tortilla with ground beef refried beans cheese (whatever you want to put in there.) Then you wrap it up like a burrito , pour enchilada sauce on top and top it with a bunch of cheese. I Love them! I'm from Michigan and everyone in Michigan knows what a wet burrito is. I forget there are people who don't. Lol. I live in Indiana now. I went to qudoba mexican grill for the first time here and asked if they had a wet burrito, the guy looked at me like .....ummm...ok? He didn't know either. Lol

Quoting Vampyrechic:

Quoting jenny0709:

Quoting jenny0709:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vampyrechic
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Lol thanks for the info! I live in NY and Ive lived in Indiana and Ive never heard of them lol. They sound delicious though! Where in Indiana do you live?

Quoting jenny0709:

Lol! Sorry lol. Pretty much a burrito with enchilada sauce and cheese on top. So basically its a flour tortilla with ground beef refried beans cheese (whatever you want to put in there.) Then you wrap it up like a burrito , pour enchilada sauce on top and top it with a bunch of cheese. I Love them! I'm from Michigan and everyone in Michigan knows what a wet burrito is. I forget there are people who don't. Lol. I live in Indiana now. I went to qudoba mexican grill for the first time here and asked if they had a wet burrito, the guy looked at me like .....ummm...ok? He didn't know either. Lol

Quoting Vampyrechic:

Quoting jenny0709:

Quoting jenny0709:

bearsbabies
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Ground turkey or beef with a can of italuan style stewed tomatoes and half a can of kidney heans and hakf a can of garbanzo beans and hakf a bag if frozen green beans. simmer till done. serve on rice then use the leftovers drain and chop lettuce and next night u have burritos.
bag of chicken boil or crock pot it use half for chickrn tacos one night with kettuce and tomates and onions
next night take the leftovers from chicken and ground beef from the night before....get a pie crust put a can of cream chicken mix it all together put it in the pue crust and bake at 350 till the crust is brown....chicken pot pie yum
Also blt sandwiches r cheap n good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carpe_noctem
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Lmao I was thinking the same thing.

Quoting alwayskk:

You rang?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carpe_noctem
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Bags of rice, canned/bagged beans, wraps (I don't know if you like burritos and the like but it's cheap!), potatoes, spices are a must to spice up any dish, diced tomatoes over noodles with some seasoning is a basic pasta I make a lot
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearsbabies
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:31 PM
Also if u havr a 99 cent store by u mine has produce. if u use it the same day its a good wy for fresh cheap veggies. and one of my all time favorite veggies is canned green beans lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ripemango
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

rice and beans: yummy, filling, and insanely cheap

ramen seems quite fitting for a college student too. 17 cents a packet i think

I don't know where the sunbeams end and the starlights begin; it's all a mystery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)