Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Necessary or Too Much? Louisiana School Expels Girls for Pregnancy

Teen PregnancyDelhi Charter School in Louisiana is not taking the state’s sixth highest teen pregnancy rate in the nation lying down, and the ACLU is standing up and paying attention to what they say is a “blatant violation of federal law and the U.S. Constitution, reports the Huffington Post.

According to the school’s policy, a girl suspected of being pregnant will be asked to take a pregnancy test. If she refuses or the test result is positive, she will either be forced to transfer to another school or take classes at home. From the student handbook:

If an administrator or teacher suspects a student is pregnant, a parent conference will be held. The school reserves the right to require any female student to take a pregnancy test to confirm whether or not the suspected student is in fact pregnant. The school further reserves the right to refer the suspected student to a physician of its choice. If the test indicates that the student is pregnant, the student will not be permitted to attend classes on the campus of Delhi Charter School.If a student is determined to be pregnant and wishes to continue to attend Delhi Charter School, the student will be required to pursue a course of home study that will be provided by the school… Any student who is suspected of being pregnant and who refuses to submit to a pregnancy test shall be treated as a pregnant student and will be offered home study opportunities. If home study opportunities are not acceptable, the student will be counseled to seek other educational opportunities.

The ACLU is demanding that the school immediately suspend the policy because it is in violation of Title IX, which states “schools cannot be excluded from “any class or extracurricular activity, on the basis of such student’s pregnancy, childbirth, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy or recovery therefrom.”

The Huffington Post reports:

The school also notes in its handbook that it reserves the right to send girls suspected of being pregnant to a physician of the school’s choice. Various other policies in the 216-page manual permit “reasonable corporal punishment of unruly students,” defined as “paddling of the student’s buttocks,” and prohibition of public displays of affection because they “show disdain for good taste.” According to the handbook, PDA include, but are not limited to “holding hands on school premises, hugging, kissing, leaning against each other and sitting in each others’ laps.”

In a letter to Delhi school officials Aug. 6, ACLU of Louisiana Executive Director points out that school policies also violate the Equal Protection Clause and Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment “by imposing an irrebuttable presumption that pregnant students are unable to continue to attend classes” and “raises serious concerns of vagueness in violation of the First Amendment.”

Delhi’s school policies are surfacing as the education gap between teen moms and those who didn’t have a teen birth grows. According to a 2010 report by nonprofit research center Child Trends, 51 percent of teen mothers have a high school diploma, compared with 89 percent of women who were not teen mothers. For teens who give birth before the age of 18, their likelihood of graduating high school is even lower — just 38 percent have a diploma.

According to recently released data from the CDC, teen pregnancy rates have dropped more than 44% from 1991 to 2010. Even with this record low, it is still 9 times higher than other developed countries. Pregnant teens also face additional health risks for mother and child, are more likely to have another child within 2 years, sons of teen mothers are more likely to go to prison, and teen mothers are more likely to not further their education and commit suicide.

Do you think Delhi School is trying to do its part to stop the avalanche of teen pregnancy or is it over-reaching its authority? Our vote would be the latter, especially when there has been no mention of expelling the boys who more than had a role in the pregnancies that, if Delhi had its way, would literally force a young girl into hiding.

SO. What about those girls that fucked up.. or had something crazy happen and they ended up pregnant and on a slim chance decided to keep the baby. Maybe they want to give it up for adoption instead of aborting.. but of course they have to get through the pregnancy and during that time, go to school. WHAT.. Do these people expect these girls to do?  They're still in school.. Still trying to get an education and they do this???

by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM
Replies (11-20):
mizhoward
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM
That is too extreme. If that is the case, then the boys should be punished too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

i feel like we advocate teen pregnancy

the rules are in the handbook and how hard is it to keep your legs closed (unless you were raped) what happened to installing morals and standards in our youth? there should be consquences for your actions. and if you dont want to get kicked out of that school then dont have sex.

demonica29
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM
Quoting silverdawn99:

i think it is a great idea

many teens thinks its *cool* to get pregnant and so what if a school doesnt want pregnant teens in their school. is it so bad that they expect some morals to be upheld?

Wow, it takes all kinds, I guess. For the record, it's ILLEGAL.
FL2AK
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM
If it is a charter school they can make their own rules. No one has to attend a charter school just like private school is a choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:28 PM

all kinds of what? of expecting more out of our children? should we really hold them in that low of regard? if my children (dd) get pregnant or my sons get a girl pregnant, i will support them BUT i wont coddle them. they will work and they will graduate and they will make a good life. they will take care of that baby that they made. its about time we grow up as a nation. people arent shocked anymore by teen pregnancy and it saddens me. we should expect more out of our youth (oh by the way I was 24 when i got pregnant for the first time)

Quoting demonica29:

Quoting silverdawn99:

many teens thinks its *cool* to get pregnant and so what if a school doesnt want pregnant teens in their school. is it so bad that they expect some morals to be upheld?

Wow, it takes all kinds, I guess. For the record, it's ILLEGAL.

Yellowlily333
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

They should not be denied an education because they are pregnant. They will need that education!!

mes_deux_amours
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Public school needs to educate based on morality? As long as the girl did not get caught having sex on school grounds I am not sure I understand your position.

Is it immoral to get pregnant as a teen? What is the next step to advocating said morality? on-site paps for all students to ensure virginity? After all it would be the SEX that would be considered immoral, not the pregnancy.

Quoting silverdawn99:

momswag
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I agree. It's supported typically by a private interest group of some sort. They should be able to reserve the right to have such policies in order to ensure that the children who are in attendance are taking their education seriously. 

A pregnant teenage girl misses quite a bit of school, she will miss tests and labs. A pregnant teen will miss school for the birth of her child and the recovery time. A pregnant teenage girl is taking up a spot that could be used by another child who won't be missing class. Also I went to high school with quite a few pregnant teenage girls, they were without a doubt catered to and given special treatment above other students which is unfair considering their condition was preventable. 

Quoting FL2AK:

If it is a charter school they can make their own rules. No one has to attend a charter school just like private school is a choice.

momswag
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

They are not being denied an education, they have the option of learning from home during their pregnancy. They're being denied the privilege of taking a spot up in a class, where they will miss quite a bit of as a result of their preventable pregnancy. 

Quoting Yellowlily333:

They should not be denied an education because they are pregnant. They will need that education!!

Yellowlily333
by on Aug. 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Making it even harder on them. I think they should be allowed to go to school, as long as they are following the rules (excluding this one-imo stupid rule). I do not want to be all woo hoo teen pregnancy, and I do not find the situation cute. I can relate to it though. I think they should be able to finish their education how they and their family see fit.

Quoting momswag:

They are not being denied an education, they have the option of learning from home during their pregnancy. They're being denied the privilege of taking a spot up in a class, where they will miss quite a bit of as a result of their preventable pregnancy. 

Quoting Yellowlily333:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)