Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Set up to fail.

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM
  • 6 Replies

Urghhhhhh.....I need to rant about something somewhere so bear with me.  I recently started working again.  Things are going well and most people are nice for the most part.  BUT, I swear there are a few people in the office that every instinct in me tells me to watch out.  One woman is supposedly training me on some job functions yet I feel that she is holding back just enough info trying to make me fail.  I ask questions and get different answers.  I've started to ask others in the company about these issues  and have been able to figure things out on my own for the most part, but what a horrible feeling knowing that someone is setting you up to fail.  The other person is sugary sweet and seems nice but every once in a while she makes a comment that makes you sound like you are stupid all while pretending to be helping you (whether you need it or not, putting on a show for others benefit while making me look like I don't know how to do something).  Why do women do this to each other? Can't we all just work and help each other out and not try and advance by tearing down the next coworker?  Urghhh.....I play nice with everyone so need to vent this somewhere.

Anyone have coworker issues and how do you deal with them?

by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SUPERMOM225
by on Aug. 9, 2012 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I had a very similiar issue with someone who was training me on a new job.  This woman made me feel very incompentent.  She was also my supervisor.  I could never trust anything she said. I am very bad at confontation so when I doubted what she said I just asked others how they did things. This lady obviously was on some sort of power trip and liked making me look stupid and feel stupd.  If someone isn't doing their job and training you properly, just find someone else who will.  Just keep trying and asking questions so that someday you can rock at your job!!I'm sure the person you are talking about probably has her own issues to deal with and is just taking it out on you.

cklamour
by Cynnsation on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:01 PM
I lost a temp assignment (mega years ago) because the manager had liked another temp. Problem for her was that him and I went to lunch everyday and worked closely together. I had nothing going on with him but she felt threatened by me and called my agency and pulled the plug on my assignment. Once I was gone, she made her move on him, and that is when she finds out that he already had a girlfriend and a child with said person. She let him go the next day.

All I can say is, people like this is what keeps Karma in business.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by Katie on Aug. 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Sounds like they see you as a threat.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Men do this as well.   If they feel you are a threat and could take their job, even though this is not our intention, they will keep the person down by withholding information.

kikibix
by Gold Member on Aug. 9, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Quoting SUPERMOM225:

I had a very similiar issue with someone who was training me on a new job.  This woman made me feel very incompentent.  She was also my supervisor.  I could never trust anything she said. I am very bad at confontation so when I doubted what she said I just asked others how they did things. This lady obviously was on some sort of power trip and liked making me look stupid and feel stupd.  If someone isn't doing their job and training you properly, just find someone else who will.  Just keep trying and asking questions so that someday you can rock at your job!!I'm sure the person you are talking about probably has her own issues to deal with and is just taking it out on you.

I think you hit it dead on.  The one likes to make herself seem more important than she is and probably fears that when I know all the functions that she knows that she will be dispensible. 

TerriAnne2606
by on Aug. 10, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Run them over in the parking lot?  That'd be my first instinct.  What about getting someone else to go over the training with you?  Or, if you're taking good notes, call her out on one.  Say, "but you said to do XYZ yesterday."  See if she changes her tune then. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)