Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this a cult or not?

Posted by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM
  • 31 Replies

I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Yahweh is the name of the Lord".

I went home and googled. Found the Sacred Name Movement and House of Yahweh. Many of the websites I read called both of these orginizations a cult.

But they just look like another sect of a religion to me. Have any of you heard of them?

ETA: I lied. I didn't just see the sticker and wonder. Someone I know is really religious, he has to be home by dusk on Friday and doesn't leave his house until Saturday morning when they go to church. He only eats Kosher food and wears strings on the front and back of his pants. And his family doesn't celebrate birthdays, Christmas or other holidays. When asked what his religion is, he never gives a direct answer, and he put that sticker on his van a couple of weeks ago. So I started googling.

Photobucket

by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alwayskk
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Yahweh is the Hebrew name for God.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Quoting alwayskk:

I know this. My Mum is an Episcopal Priest. I just know nothing about the House of Yahweh and the Sacred Name Movement. From what I can find on the web, they are offshoots of the Latter Day Saints and a mix of Judaism and Christianity.

Photobucket

alwayskk
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Quoting BewitchedKisses:

Quoting alwayskk:

I know this. My Mum is an Episcopal Priest. I just know nothing about the House of Yahweh and the Sacred Name Movement. From what I can find on the web, they are offshoots of the Latter Day Saints and a mix of Judaism and Christianity.

Oh okay, my bad. It sounded like you were googling cuz you hadn't heard of Yahweh.

Yeah, I would say they're probably cults but I have that opinion about a lot of religions.

hatinnd
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM
2 moms liked this

Quick!  What's the difference between a religion and a cult??

mayzell
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM

dont think the bumper sticker tood for a cult at all, yahweh is the a for the lord.

BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hatinnd:

Quick!  What's the difference between a religion and a cult??

In my own head the difference is you can walk away from a religion with little to no resisitance, and a cult will track you down to keep you in. But cults have the better kool-aid. lol

Photobucket

black.eyeliner
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM
A cult is a religion that causes harm to its followers. Otherwise it is a religion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SlingsAndThings
by RissaBusch on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:37 AM
He sounds like he Jewish. Friday evening till sundown Saturday is the Sabbath. Doesn't sound cultish to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Violets.Mommy
by on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
He is jewish.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BewitchedKisses
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Quoting SlingsAndThings:

He sounds like he Jewish. Friday evening till sundown Saturday is the Sabbath. Doesn't sound cultish to me.

He's not Jewish. From what I've read, the House of Yahweh takes bits of Judaism and Christianity and kind of melts them together to form something else.

Photobucket

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN