Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you this kind of mom?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: So I'm the mom who,

Options:

will stay with my kid no matter at school or sport!!!!

will trust my child to know right and wrong they are there to learn.

Other - Always an other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 101

View Results

Back ground 

DS14 was picked to be a 6 grade Mentor. They call it some thing else but to make it simple we'll call it Mentor. Today is day 1 of training. They get 2 days of training before school starts and on Thursday they meet the 6th graders they will be mentors for. Out of a class of 2000, 100 8th graders are chosen to do this.

The event!!!

So I am dropping DS off. I have to run into the office to drop DD12's TDap paper work off. As I am walking I see one of DS's fellow classmates and his mom. I have meet the kid before but not the mom. DS was about to introduce me but as we got closer the mom is screaming at the kid. The mom "NO I WONT FUCKEN LEAVE" kid "Mom, I'm 13 almost 14 I can stay at training alone I don't need you to stay" the mom "I don't care what you want IM YOUR FUCKEN MOM AND YOUR TOO YOUNG FOR THIS SHIT TO DO ALONE".

Hearing this I just made the move to go to the office trying to pick my jaw up off the ground. I come back out the mom has a tight grip on the kid and DS is standing on the side of the kid not saying a word. The mom sees me and screams "what you another lazy mother leaving their, child" I look at her look at my son and say "hey buddy you want me to stay or can you handle this"? My son says "mom you have taught me well enough I know how to be alone at SCHOOL I was hand picked for this, I'll call you when I need you to pick me up".

I just left and still having a hard time picking my jaw up off the ground.

These kids who got picked to be mentors not only got hand picked by teachers, coaches, but their peers had to speak up for them. They also had to do 2 page essays on why they felt they could do this job.

I almost think I should of gone back into the office and said something but figured once the training started they'd handle it but I feel so bad for the kid. 

So what kind of mom are you?

UPDATE!!!

She did try to stay. The leader of the Mentor program took her to the side and talked to her. I guess she followed them all to the gym door the leader was the last through the door and closed it. DS doesn't know what more happen. He said after the door closed he couldn't find his friend and reported it to the leader but not much was said or done about it.

I have a felling the mom was making such a fuss that the kid dropped out.

by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
eema.gray
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

If I was her child, I think I would have died of embaressment.  Poor kid!  Mom needs to let her child start growing up and taking on responsibilities without a parent hoovering just in the background.

Tommyskitty
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Wow, someone sure is in denial that their kid is growing. Think you handled it the best way possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1likeme
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I am the type that trusts my child to behave appropriately and to inform me if there is a problem. I am also the type of mother who takes personal discussions to a private area and I do not curse out my children.
skybluchick
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:07 PM

i would trust i raised my child well enough to trust them at school

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM
The parents who coddle their children are doing them no favors. My mom prepared me for the real world and I intend to do the same.
ProudMom9799
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

i'm with you and the OP - my son (13) would have died if I stayed there holding his hand the whole time. geesh.

Quoting eema.gray:

If I was her child, I think I would have died of embaressment.  Poor kid!  Mom needs to let her child start growing up and taking on responsibilities without a parent hoovering just in the background.

justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM
I'm a fairly hands off parent. I gently guide my kids but allow them to learn and grow on their terms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by Tamara on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I would be ok leaving him.

On a side note: who talks to their kid like that!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Fields456
by Sexy and I know it on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Holy shit that poor kid wonder if she will go to college with him too. I think u and your Ds handled that well
ProudMom9799
by on Aug. 13, 2012 at 12:14 PM

exactly and then calls out another mother about leaving their teenager at school? i dont understand why that mom even let her son sign on for the mentor thing. i bet the 6th graders mom left him there by himself

Quoting dommad2:

I would be ok leaving him.

On a side note: who talks to their kid like that!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN