Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OMG My Doctor Just Called Im So Upset, 08/21 APPT UPDATE #2!

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 34 & half weeks pregnant-

At 29 weeks went for my GD test (1 hour) they didn't tell me to fast and since its my first and I didn't know, I drank Orange Juice on the way and had some sprite. It came back with my #s elevated. I couldn't go for the 3 hour one till recently, but they gave me a perscription to do a 1 hour one again since I didn't know I had to fast  fast and I don't need unnecessary blood drawn so just take 1 hour again, I go tomorrow 8AM.

Anyways, I had an US done monday night, my baby is 7lbs12oz according to the US.

Dr calls just now and says "Amy, we need you to do that GD 3 hour test immediately we believe you have diabetes there is no excuse why at almost 35 weeks your baby is so enormous. You probably have Diabetes, your chance of a vaginal delivery are slim to none-because by the time you're full term your baby will be like 10 lbs and you will need a c-section. Your baby is too big then a normal baby and you probably have diabetes.

I said but you tested me for diabetes I was negative, dont you mean GD? She said yes Gestational not regular but definately gestational because your baby is huge and I dont think you will deliver normally we will probably have to schedule you for cesarean.

I FEEL LIKE CRYING !!!!!! I dont know what to do, I thought U/S were not always correct on the weight?! I never had surgery Im so scared and scared for my baby. I am switching DRs i made a post about it, I see my new OBSGYN tomorrow because these people are known for c-sections and induction and this new dr is known for natural childbirth and so on...so therefore I am seeing her.

Please advice, what do you think. Besides I drink lots of caffeine (soda) unfortunately, they say it lowers birth weight and mine is coming out to be obese according to her...Im so scared advice/comments please.

Thanks

***My appointment with the new Dr was supposed to be a 2pm. She called me just now and said "Amy you were asked when you called if your pregnancy was healthy you said yes and you were asked if you had any issues you said no...well we just got your chart and according to it you gained almost 70lbs in your pregnancy and you were given a 1hour test and failed it, and never did the 3 hour test."

I explained to her that the ladies did not tell me to Fast, only if I failed the one hour I had to fast for the 3 hour, and when I told them I had soda and orane juice prior to the test they concluded thats why I failed the test, they gave me another 1 hour to do instead of the three hour and I went this morning.  She said "Amy no one gains almost 70lbs in pregnancy and you were a bit overweight to begin with so it tells me you do have GD and you WILL need a c-section the baby is big so you can not do regular birth and youre a big risk here because of your weight you may end up bleeding out during the c-section and because we only practice out of a community hospital we wont be able to save you." She said I would have to go to a Hospital where if an emergency happened which is likely during my ceserean they could have a better chance of saving me. She also said my babies lungs because of the weight are probably not even developed and will need extensive medical care because big babies dont have healthy lungs... I am 5'10, I went in at 265 and now am 330. My doctor NEVER told me I was unhealthy, I DO NOT have high blood pressure, I have NO health problems Ive been checked A-Z everything and nothing has been wrong so far thank God but to these people Im a big health risk.

OMG I dont know what to do Im crying my eyes out I don't know where to go who to see where to turn, the only hospital known for pushing natural birth turned me down...she didn't even see me she said it would be pointless. 

Suggestions :(

UPDATE #1: I am seeing my original OBSGYN (the one from the first call regarding the fetal weight) TOMORROW, TUESDAY 08/21. I called today to confirm my appointment and asked if my 3 HOUR GCT results had come in and she said yes they arrived and I asked if there was a problem the doctor would call me she said "Yes, absolutely" so far, 6 hours later, no call. I will find out definately tomorrow, and will update. I plan to ask questions, seek the best alternative and tell you exactely our plans. As far as my weight, I am seeing a dietitan and coming with a great plan to lose weight effectively postpartum. I can not thank you enough for the support, concerns, and even the ones who can be alittle bitchy-all your views are right in a way and I thank you all very much. I will title it tomorrow UPDATES #2

Update #2:

I saw the Doctor and I DON'T HAVE GESTATIONAL DIABETES!! I maintained the same weight since my last appointment. I asked her if I would need a c-section she said well we really don't know right now because we thought you were + for GD, but since you're not we'll have to wait and see. She gave me an ULTRASOUND perscription to be done next monday when I will be 36 weeks and I see her again on Wednesday, 08/29. So thankfully, NO GD, baby is very active and said to be in the 90th %tile of weight. So they said they will just monitor her weight with an u/s every 2 weeks and so far everything is good. She was happy to hear I am seeing a dietitian and said whatever I am following seems to be working so far because I didn't gain anything since almost 2 weeks ago. :D Will update next Wednesday!

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Replies (471-480):
inlovewithcraig
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:17 PM

I wanted to say something of the sort but did not want ot be rude. But i do find it odd that she was shocked that she was told she wasnt healthy...how can you not know ? ya know? If you are weighing in at that much regardless of your cholesterol, BP, ETC, you MUST know that there is an issue. I agree with what you are saying (I read your other comments too).

I hope the best for you OP and I hope this gives you a lesson learned

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Yes but from OP she said she had no idea that she was unhealthy. I find that very hard to believe.

Quoting katiew2012:

She has stated that she was working on her weight before pregnancy...

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

You're 300+ lbs and thought you were healthy?

katiew2012
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I understood her statement concerning a lot of caffeine was a desparate way to lower birthweight since she was told her baby is too big...

And a healthy lifestyle change is not cutting everything out-it is moderation. A soda a day is not going to cause obesity if it is balanced with healthy food and exercise. 

And the info about the dietician, etc was explained throughout the discussion. 

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

She never mentioned in the original post that she was seeing a dietician or making lifestyle changes. Actually she talks about drinking soda and caffeine constantly. Neither of which are conductive to a "healthy lifestyle change"

Quoting katiew2012:

Ah yes, misunderstandings can happen when one does not search out the whole backstory...

I don't recall her saying she was healthy, but that she had a healthy pregnacy. I read that to mean no complications.

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

I am going by what she said in the op. she was shocked because her dr. Never mentioned she was not healthy. Ummm she's 300+ lbs I'm

Sure he figured she already new she wasn't in tip top shape.

Quoting katiew2012:

So, working with a dietitian and trying to change her lifestyle does not indicate she knew something needed to change? 

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Yes but from OP she said she had no idea that she was unhealthy. I find that very hard to believe.

Quoting katiew2012:

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Katie, proud wife of a railroader, and a future mother-to-be! 

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:21 PM

It is my fault for putting th two (weight and being unhealthy next to eachother). Of course I know that overweight WILL EVENTUALLY not immediately, work itself on my body...slowly my heart will tire out from pumping excess, and things spiral out of control from that point..so I was taking care of it. When I found out I was pregnant though, I was tested for everything--high cholesterol, sugars, diabetes, ailements/diseases and when the doctor got the reports back that i was not having any problems she told me i was in good health just overweight and thats when she advised to create a plan for after the pregnancy to lose weight which I was already doing.

When I say "unhealthy" i am talking about internally, how is my health holding up with the fact i am overweight and thankfully, very well. So besides the fact I am overweight according to the doctors I am in good health thats what she told me. I had concerns of placenta previa because I have an anterior placenta and was worried for a cesearean the doctor ACTUALLY told me nothing was pointing to me needing a c-section and people with anterior placentas hardly get placenta previa its not an issue now. 

Therefore, my point is she should've spoken up prior to me being 35 weeks pregnant that my weight could put me at risk for a c-section not wait till the last minute. Im aware my weight is unhealthy but thankfully right now im not in bad health--i have control of my eating habits and am working to lose weight, just as i was when i found out i was pregnant.

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

I am going by what she said in the op. she was shocked because her dr. Never mentioned she was not healthy. Ummm she's 300+ lbs I'm

Quoting katiew2012:

So, working with a dietitian and trying to change her lifestyle does not indicate she knew something needed to change? 

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Quoting katiew2012:

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Have you been around this whole post? 

When the OP first posted this she was given plenty of words of encouragement. People encouraged her to seek a second opinion and gave them their stories about birthing large babies and others gave encouraging words about c-sections. HOWEVER the posters were under the impression that the OP was healthy. The OP left out very important information. Originally posters thought that the doctor was trying ot diagnose GD, based off of the estimated weight of her baby via ultra sound. She didn't include the fact that she was over weight, retaining water, and gained 70 lbs throughout her pregnancy. Those are all signs of GD, and being overweight prior to pregnancy increases your chances of GD. 

The OP has seen two different doctors and they BOTH said that she would need a c-section. I don't believe a third doctor would say any different. It says in the OP that the second doctor looked through her chart and refused to take her as a patient because he feels the same way the first does. 

Please go back and read the first pages of responses before the update. People were being very supportive. But now it seems like the OP wants to blame the doctors and doesn't want to accept because of her weight and health she will need a c-section.  

OP, I would stick with your first doctor. It sounds like they do know what they are doing and they are in a better hospital.

I would also ask if you could do a trial labor and try to hold out on inducing as long as possible. But if you Edema (like I believe you said earlier) then they might have to take the baby early. 

I also find it hard to believe that with your weight issues, that they didn't warn you about these problems in the beginning of your pregnancy.  Typically, women that are overweight have more complicated pregnancies. The chances of GD are also higher as well as swelling and BP and other issues. That is why doctors recommend that women loose weight before TTC. 

Quoting katiew2012:

My biggest issue is this:

The OP came here in fear and confusion. She feels she has doctors pushing her towards a c-section, and is unable to get a second opinion as of yet, in my understanding. 

However, so many people replying are harping on her for her weight, not addressing her fears. Is she overweight, likely given that the majority of Americans are overweight. I find it hard to believe that each person who has posted about her "morbid obesity" is at an ideal weight.

It makes me sick that instead of helping a scared women, all people seem to be interested in doing is telling her it is her fault, she needs to change her habits, and that she is fat.

Way to be understanding and supportive, ladies. /sarcasam/

OP: feel free to PM me... I am another lady who by the standards laid out would be considered "obese" and heaven forbid I get pregnant like I'm trying to because the weight gain would likely make me "morbidly obese." Maybe we can help each other. 

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Yep you were right. I was drinking soda, so when they told me "Amy your baby is big"  I was shocked because they told me to stop drinking soda a few weeks back because my baby may come out small. 

Quoting katiew2012:

I understood her statement concerning a lot of caffeine was a desparate way to lower birthweight since she was told her baby is too big...

And a healthy lifestyle change is not cutting everything out-it is moderation. A soda a day is not going to cause obesity if it is balanced with healthy food and exercise. 

And the info about the dietician, etc was explained throughout the discussion. 

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

She never mentioned in the original post that she was seeing a dietician or making lifestyle changes. Actually she talks about drinking soda and caffeine constantly. Neither of which are conductive to a "healthy lifestyle change"

Quoting katiew2012:

Ah yes, misunderstandings can happen when one does not search out the whole backstory...

I don't recall her saying she was healthy, but that she had a healthy pregnacy. I read that to mean no complications.

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Quoting katiew2012:

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Quoting katiew2012:

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar:

Ms.Pteranodon
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Yes BMI takes has a pretty wide range. However, BMI would not factor almost 100lbs. I understand people are not meant to be cookie cutter. I have always been on the heavier side for my height, but I am not over weight when you consider my BMI and factor in muscle my weight makes sense. 

Quoting katiew2012:

And my comment was meant for the woman who made a diagnosis of 92 lbs overweight when pregnancy began, without considering bmi... people are not meant to be cookie-cutter, and BMI takes that into consideration with a pretty wide acceptable range. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

I understand that. And I am sorry you have found yourself in this predicament. I hope you find a way to loose weight after the baby is born so that you don't have health problems in the future. 

Also my comment was more towards the other poster. She was trying to say you have to physically see someone in order to determine if they are at a healthy weight, and unfortunately  300+ pounds is not healthy for ANY body shape long term.

Being overweight it is a health concern and that is something your doctors need to know. 

I really hope you find hope you take your doctors concerns into consideration.  

Quoting Mommy2BeAmy:

You're misunderstanding.

I dont have high BP, I don't have heart problems, I dont have high cholesterol, I dont have sugar problems, Im not diabetic Ive been tested for everything over the moon and I came back very healthy I am just overweight. If I stay this way, the weight will put a strain on my heart and then things will start going out of whack im not stupid. But I havent been this way my whole life, just for the past year and half/2 years I went from 145 to this. Its not healthy, but my health is currently not suffering except my weight and if i keep it on its going to become a problem

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

NO ONE is healthy at over 300 lbs

Quoting katiew2012:

You fail to take body shape into consideration. I'm 5'3" and according to mainstream bs, I should weigh less than 130. I haven't weighed that in close to 20 years. I do have weight to lose, but I'd be happy at 150. Why?? Let me tell you.

My mother's family are all tall. The shortest was my grandma at 5'6". My grandfather was 6'4". They were hefty in their youth, and unfortunately gained a bit too much weight. But their body build was not petite.

I have their bone structure. I do not have petite bones. However, I do not have the height they did, so I am at a disadvantage. 

Have you met this woman, Sport....? Have you physically seen her? Have you done her BMI, which is the best way to determine obesity? If not, how qualified are you to lecture her on her weight? 

OP, I don't have much advice except see if you can find another opinion elsewhere. Explain you are seeking a second opinion and would like to see a doctor. 

Quoting Sportbominable:

I'm sorry you're going through this, but I have to say I understand the doctor's concerns. You were AT LEAST 92 pounds overweight before getting pregnant and have gained 70 pounds on top of that during pregnancy. You were morbidly obese and now you have an unhealthy pregnancy. You need to start doing something about your eating and exercise habits.

At 5'1" and 170 pounds I was obese before getting pregnant for the first time. I only gained 12 pounds with pregnancy. I recognized and finally accepted that I had a problem (eating too much) and turned my life around. I was always a skinny or average girl, but gained weight during college. Now I watch what I eat everyday and have managed to stay at 116 although I would like to be more at 102. 

katiew2012
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:33 PM

The OP does have a lot of support yes... and maybe she kept her weight quiet at first out of a fear of the backlash she has indeed gotten now. I have seen many unkind assumptions made, without knowing the whole story. 

Being overweight is something that can cause health issues. But overweight people can be healthy, just not as long. 

As far as I understand, the second physican never SAW the OP. She looked at a chart, and refused to see her. I see nothing wrong with the OP calling a different OBGYN, explaining the scenario in full, and asking if she can see the OB. 

And what bugs me is people calling OP out as a liar. Oh yes, doctors are almighty and can do no wrong... I forgot. But to say that she is lying about warnings she may or may not have received... well, that is just inflammatory. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

When the OP first posted this she was given plenty of words of encouragement. People encouraged her to seek a second opinion and gave them their stories about birthing large babies and others gave encouraging words about c-sections. HOWEVER the posters were under the impression that the OP was healthy. The OP left out very important information. Originally posters thought that the doctor was trying ot diagnose GD, based off of the estimated weight of her baby via ultra sound. She didn't include the fact that she was over weight, retaining water, and gained 70 lbs throughout her pregnancy. Those are all signs of GD, and being overweight prior to pregnancy increases your chances of GD. 

The OP has seen two different doctors and they BOTH said that she would need a c-section. I don't believe a third doctor would say any different. It says in the OP that the second doctor looked through her chart and refused to take her as a patient because he feels the same way the first does. 

Please go back and read the first pages of responses before the update. People were being very supportive. But now it seems like the OP wants to blame the doctors and doesn't want to accept because of her weight and health she will need a c-section.  

OP, I would stick with your first doctor. It sounds like they do know what they are doing and they are in a better hospital.

I would also ask if you could do a trial labor and try to hold out on inducing as long as possible. But if you Edema (like I believe you said earlier) then they might have to take the baby early. 

I also find it hard to believe that with your weight issues, that they didn't warn you about these problems in the beginning of your pregnancy.  Typically, women that are overweight have more complicated pregnancies. The chances of GD are also higher as well as swelling and BP and other issues. That is why doctors recommend that women loose weight before TTC.

katiew2012
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Well, since OP has stated she knows she is at an unhealthy weight, and has plans to change that, I think this is a dead horse.

My intial response was to what I felt was judgemental and imo rude. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Yes BMI takes has a pretty wide range. However, BMI would not factor almost 100lbs. I understand people are not meant to be cookie cutter. I have always been on the heavier side for my height, but I am not over weight when you consider my BMI and factor in muscle my weight makes sense. 

Quoting katiew2012:

And my comment was meant for the woman who made a diagnosis of 92 lbs overweight when pregnancy began, without considering bmi... people are not meant to be cookie-cutter, and BMI takes that into consideration with a pretty wide acceptable range. 

Mommy2BeAmy
by on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Really, my doctors never said a word to me when I got pregnant my weight was a concern but they also knew I was dieting reason being:

I was taking HCG drops which is the hormone that tests + for pregnancy, for weight loss. I began that in October, began losing weight, then november came no period, december no period. Then in January I was very light headed and didn't feel right. It was concluded prior to January though the drops were making me miss my period, we took a pregnancy test and it was +. But the doctor and I were confused because the hormone in the drops could cause a false positive so they sent me for an U/S and my baby was sooo tiny that it didnt even have a heart beat yet it wasn't even a yolk sak, then after 2 weeks another u/s was givern and i was confirmed pregnant. Therefore, she knew i was working and correcting my situation on being overweight so maybe thats why she didn't say anything.

The second doctor should have seen me prior to making an assumption. To me, my weight had NOTHING to do with the fact of me needing a c-section when the first doctor called because the first doctor didn't say anything because of my weight she only talked about the weight of the baby via U/S therefore why would I include my weight and size when it wasn't even discussed with the doctor the first time around? I didn't even know my weight had any factor in this until the second doctor WHO DIDN'T EVEN SEE ME called. So if my weight wasn't even brought into the picture until the second doctor called, why would it be in my OP? Thats why i included it in my update when the second doctor called because the second doctor was the only one to talk about MY weight, not the fetal weight.

I have decided to stick with my original OB. I am dieting, changing my eating habits, I took the 3 hour and see what she says. I will do a trial labor..honestly my hips are killing me, I can't even close my legs so that tells me im possibly dialated?? the baby dropped at 29 weeks and now dropped lower which hurts my groin so badly. And shes been in the birthing position since my u/s at 29 weeks and this one now. So therefore, I feel i can definately have a natural birth but if they see there is no progression, before worse comes to worse i will give in and do a c-section i wont wait till last minute when there could be a problem.

Lastly, I want to add I was 145 about 2 years ago, and have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years...wasnt after my weight gain till I became pregnant. 

Quoting Ms.Pteranodon:

Quoting katiew2012:

My biggest issue is this:

The OP came here in fear and confusion. She feels she has doctors pushing her towards a c-section, and is unable to get a second opinion as of yet, in my understanding. 

However, so many people replying are harping on her for her weight, not addressing her fears. Is she overweight, likely given that the majority of Americans are overweight. I find it hard to believe that each person who has posted about her "morbid obesity" is at an ideal weight.

It makes me sick that instead of helping a scared women, all people seem to be interested in doing is telling her it is her fault, she needs to change her habits, and that she is fat.

Way to be understanding and supportive, ladies. /sarcasam/

OP: feel free to PM me... I am another lady who by the standards laid out would be considered "obese" and heaven forbid I get pregnant like I'm trying to because the weight gain would likely make me "morbidly obese." Maybe we can help each other. 

dlnimo
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2012 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I was 300 pounds (yikes!) when I delivered DD1 4 years ago. I did not have high blood pressure nor gd. Was I healthy no, obviously not due to being obese but as OP stated my over all health was good. My Dr never once suggested that I would need a c-section due to being obese. I delivered DD vaginally. With that being said I lost 80 pounds after her birth and then became pregnant with twins! I had a c-section with them due to both being breech and to be honest my recovery was easier then with my vaginal delivery. Try not to worry about the delivery because no matter which way it goes you get a precious gift in the end!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)