Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OMG My Doctor Just Called Im So Upset, 08/21 APPT UPDATE #2!

Posted by   + Show Post

Im 34 & half weeks pregnant-

At 29 weeks went for my GD test (1 hour) they didn't tell me to fast and since its my first and I didn't know, I drank Orange Juice on the way and had some sprite. It came back with my #s elevated. I couldn't go for the 3 hour one till recently, but they gave me a perscription to do a 1 hour one again since I didn't know I had to fast  fast and I don't need unnecessary blood drawn so just take 1 hour again, I go tomorrow 8AM.

Anyways, I had an US done monday night, my baby is 7lbs12oz according to the US.

Dr calls just now and says "Amy, we need you to do that GD 3 hour test immediately we believe you have diabetes there is no excuse why at almost 35 weeks your baby is so enormous. You probably have Diabetes, your chance of a vaginal delivery are slim to none-because by the time you're full term your baby will be like 10 lbs and you will need a c-section. Your baby is too big then a normal baby and you probably have diabetes.

I said but you tested me for diabetes I was negative, dont you mean GD? She said yes Gestational not regular but definately gestational because your baby is huge and I dont think you will deliver normally we will probably have to schedule you for cesarean.

I FEEL LIKE CRYING !!!!!! I dont know what to do, I thought U/S were not always correct on the weight?! I never had surgery Im so scared and scared for my baby. I am switching DRs i made a post about it, I see my new OBSGYN tomorrow because these people are known for c-sections and induction and this new dr is known for natural childbirth and so on...so therefore I am seeing her.

Please advice, what do you think. Besides I drink lots of caffeine (soda) unfortunately, they say it lowers birth weight and mine is coming out to be obese according to her...Im so scared advice/comments please.

Thanks

***My appointment with the new Dr was supposed to be a 2pm. She called me just now and said "Amy you were asked when you called if your pregnancy was healthy you said yes and you were asked if you had any issues you said no...well we just got your chart and according to it you gained almost 70lbs in your pregnancy and you were given a 1hour test and failed it, and never did the 3 hour test."

I explained to her that the ladies did not tell me to Fast, only if I failed the one hour I had to fast for the 3 hour, and when I told them I had soda and orane juice prior to the test they concluded thats why I failed the test, they gave me another 1 hour to do instead of the three hour and I went this morning.  She said "Amy no one gains almost 70lbs in pregnancy and you were a bit overweight to begin with so it tells me you do have GD and you WILL need a c-section the baby is big so you can not do regular birth and youre a big risk here because of your weight you may end up bleeding out during the c-section and because we only practice out of a community hospital we wont be able to save you." She said I would have to go to a Hospital where if an emergency happened which is likely during my ceserean they could have a better chance of saving me. She also said my babies lungs because of the weight are probably not even developed and will need extensive medical care because big babies dont have healthy lungs... I am 5'10, I went in at 265 and now am 330. My doctor NEVER told me I was unhealthy, I DO NOT have high blood pressure, I have NO health problems Ive been checked A-Z everything and nothing has been wrong so far thank God but to these people Im a big health risk.

OMG I dont know what to do Im crying my eyes out I don't know where to go who to see where to turn, the only hospital known for pushing natural birth turned me down...she didn't even see me she said it would be pointless. 

Suggestions :(

UPDATE #1: I am seeing my original OBSGYN (the one from the first call regarding the fetal weight) TOMORROW, TUESDAY 08/21. I called today to confirm my appointment and asked if my 3 HOUR GCT results had come in and she said yes they arrived and I asked if there was a problem the doctor would call me she said "Yes, absolutely" so far, 6 hours later, no call. I will find out definately tomorrow, and will update. I plan to ask questions, seek the best alternative and tell you exactely our plans. As far as my weight, I am seeing a dietitan and coming with a great plan to lose weight effectively postpartum. I can not thank you enough for the support, concerns, and even the ones who can be alittle bitchy-all your views are right in a way and I thank you all very much. I will title it tomorrow UPDATES #2

Update #2:

I saw the Doctor and I DON'T HAVE GESTATIONAL DIABETES!! I maintained the same weight since my last appointment. I asked her if I would need a c-section she said well we really don't know right now because we thought you were + for GD, but since you're not we'll have to wait and see. She gave me an ULTRASOUND perscription to be done next monday when I will be 36 weeks and I see her again on Wednesday, 08/29. So thankfully, NO GD, baby is very active and said to be in the 90th %tile of weight. So they said they will just monitor her weight with an u/s every 2 weeks and so far everything is good. She was happy to hear I am seeing a dietitian and said whatever I am following seems to be working so far because I didn't gain anything since almost 2 weeks ago. :D Will update next Wednesday!

by on Aug. 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Replies (551-552):
Noni2319
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2012 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MFCsarah
by on Aug. 21, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Good stuff... Update next week!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN