Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is $300 every 2 weeks ALOT for grocerys for 4 people?

Dh wants me to try and make it smaller..its not always straight $300, sometimes $250.

He's been SUCH a penny pincher lately. Its annoying. We have plenty, he just wants to be sure were fine once we start building. But I think our list is pretty good. We don't shop at save a lot or anything like that cause the ones near us are dirty, and dh is really picky about brands.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM
Replies (251-260):
BEXi
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM
holy crap yes. we spend 400-500 a month
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I love these "family" sizes.  I had a family of 5. My food costs were very differnet when they were 13 11 7 and newborn then when they were 17 15 11 and 4. And in the summer when they are 21 19 15 and 9- $200 doesn't always cover it!

The ages of the people you are feeding really factor in to this!

Nora_A
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with Tea4Tas. When all four of my kids were still at home, with the oldest two being twenty-one and nineteen, my grocery bills were astronomical. We were averaging 32 liters of milk a week.

Two have since moved out, and the remaining two are fifteen and seventeen, and both are athletes, with huge appetites. I still average at least $250-$300 a week for the four of us.

There are some other factors in that as well. I do not live in the United States. Generally speaking our grocery prices are higher than they are in the States. Also as a breast cancer survivor, I try to buy as little processed food as possible, and if it is within my budget, I buy organic.  It is an unfortunate fact that eating fresh seems to be far more costly than eating crap.

norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM
Try shopping at aldi's or get store brands. Honestly name brand doesn't mean better. There are some really good off brands out there. Kroger brand is excellent and I love aldis stuff. We are a family of 6 with a large dog. Our groceries include household stuff and toiletries. We spend about 120 a week but I buy extra for storage every week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree with this. My kids are 8,4,2, and 6 months. When they are all teens I expect out grocery bill to be much higher.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

I love these "family" sizes.  I had a family of 5. My food costs were very differnet when they were 13 11 7 and newborn then when they were 17 15 11 and 4. And in the summer when they are 21 19 15 and 9- $200 doesn't always cover it!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kageegirl
by Gold Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM
That is a lot. I feed 5 people on $70 a week. I buy name brands, but I coupon. I spend between $280 and $350 a month. I think you could manage to spend a little less.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Yep, I have a 23 yr old and a 15 yr old. We can easily spend $15 on food just for dinner and that is with buying in bulk and cooking from scratch. That's $450 a month just for 1 meal a day. 3 out of the 4 of us basically eat 3 meals a day from the grocery budget. DH packs a lunch and DD is homeschooled.I would love know how much those who are complaining about the OP's grocery budget spend on food purchased outside of the home. DS is a server, so he eats for free at work. He probably averages eating 6-8 meals a week at home.

IE a good friend of mine had her husband complaining about their budget just like the OPs husband is. All she had to do to nip his complaints in the bud was add up what he spends per week going out to lunch with the guys from work. He spent more in one week on 5 lunches that she did on the entire months grocery expenses (which included pet food, paper goods, tolitries etc).

owl0210
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

No, I spend $400 a month and it's only my son and I.

Tea4Tas
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jenn4443:

It can be done. I have done it.

Quoting 1mommy2him:

Yep

Quoting CheyennesMommy2:

For 4 people?

Quoting 1mommy2him:

To me that is a lot because I can spend under 100 for a month

Yes because you can feed 4 people ( assuming older kids ) for .29 a meal.

This slays me. That is $25 per week. or  3.57 per day.  Which gives you .29 per meal.

So let's see  Loaf of bread at aldi's .99- 2 slices of toast .10

Gallon of milk at Aldis 2.29  8 ounces is                             .13 cents

Eggs at aldis .99 a dozen                   one egg                    .08

that is .31 cents-and you are OVER budget for that meal!

No one ever says how they do it-except buy in bulk-coupon. I haven't seen a damned coupon for milk or eggs in ages, nor meat. And I call BS on saving enough on coupons to buy what else you need on under.30  per meal.

wishonme_2000
by on Aug. 19, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I have a fam of 4 and i only spend 200 every two weeks  and I always and more than enough :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN